• Register Today It's free!

Sun visor install help

lowrd03vr6

Reaction score
City, State
Culpeper, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Eddie Bauer
So when I purchased my Explorer, the mirror cover on my driver’s side sun visor was broken off, which I now see is a very common problem. Recently the passenger side mirror cover broke as well. I ordered two brand new sun visors to replace the broken ones.

Today I went to install the driver side visor. When I removed the old visor, it looks like the previous owner cut the cord to the visor to prevent the mirror light from coming on. I pulled on the cord hoping to find the plug so that I can plug the new one into the factory harness, but I can seem to be able to pull it out.

My question is, do I need to remove any of the body panels to get to the harness/plug to hook up the new visor?

I did my passenger side. There is a plug that gets trapped behind the sheet metal where it bends down to the roof liner at the visor. The connector has to go between the sheet metal and the roof liner to get to the hole. I was able to take off the visor and stick my finger in the hole to pull the roof liner down just enough to pull the connector through. You don't want to pull too much and deform the roof liner, just enough to slip the connector through. Swap the visors and push the connector back through. You'll have to poke it back in past the sheet metal (maybe an inch) so the roof liner can go flat against the sheet metal when you screw the visor back on.

336643141481444.jpg

you can get a new wiring harness from fordpartsgiants.com for about 30 40 dollars or i take it back to ford and let know whats up if you bought it from a dealership or call the owner who you purchase the vehicle from

Back