Sun Visor problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sun Visor problems

B

bgclight

We have a 2008 Limited with 16,000 miles, bought new on 1/08/08.

I noticed recently that one hinge on each of the visors that holds the vanity mirrors had broken! I was a little concerned because my 1998 never had any problems with the plastic parts. Ford replaced them under warranty.

They also replaced my steering wheel which had a slight flaw on it.

I take super care of my 2008 and was glad to see that Ford took care of the warranty replacements.

I post this to alert you to check your sun visors if you are still under warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine were cracked as well, the driver side fell off. I figured I would have a time getting to replace them under warranty, but they even replaced the passenger one as well with no problem.

Visors replaced 3 times

I have a 08 Eddie Bauer purchased new in 1/08 that my wife drives and the visors have been replaced 3 times because the hinges on the cover over the lighted mirror break! I have personally witnessed the cover break 2 times on the passenger side. There was no rough handling or abuse. And since my wife is the primary driver, the passenger side is not even usually used. She happen to use it because I was driving at the time.

It broke again this Saturday, about six months after the last time it was replaced.

The dealership has done the replacement under warranty each time, but this is getting ridiculous. I've asked the service manager at the dealership if there is some sort of issue because I've never had this happen on any other vehicles. He stated he didn't think there was a problem with them. But funny thing was, the last time I had to have it replaced, the visors were on backorder.

I guess I'll find out when I call to make an appointment again.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I have the sun/moon roof. I wondered if there is some sort of heat buildup that is making the hinges brittle.

O.k.

Mine are still doing O.K. I seldom ever pull them down. I will keep a closer check on them. I have the sunroof also.

BGC

When we bought our 07 EB, 1 yr old and 21K miles, the passenger side visor was broken. No sunroof here. My local dealer replaced it no problem. I hope this is not a continuing problem.

good post. mine just broke not too long ago, but i thought it might not be covered so i didnt bother asking the dealership to fix it when i got my 10,000 mile service. I guess ill try it out on monday.

2008 Sun Visor issue

My passenger visor broke! I'm glad I found this site! I'm going to bring my SUV in to get this fixed - on their dollar! Thanks for the info.

I had the drivers side replaced AGAIN a couple of months ago. This time I checked on the part price. They only sell the whole visor, and it was about $80 at my Mustang club discount price, probably close to $100 at retail! Next time it breaks, I'm just disconnecting the light and we will do without the covers. Bad design Ford!!!

My dealership is telling me that my visors are not covered under my premium ESP and that they are only covered by the factory 3/36 warranty. Has anyone else been turned down for this under warranty? Im trying REALLY hard not to get bent out of shape here, but every time I turn around with something truly "defective" on my Ex, I find out that Ford will not cover it. - Thanks!

Bumper to bumper

I thought the ESP Premium was a bumper to bumper coverage. My previous Explorer had it and it covered everything.

I also had the broken vanity mirror hinges.
Some time ago I found a technical bulletin outlining that this occured on the tan interior models. I can only assume that there was a batch with defective material in this color.

I got mine replaced under the 3/36 warranty from Ford.
I don't know which ESP you have, but they can in general decide to cover or not cover anything and everything dependent on the specific contract.
There should be a detailed listing in the contract on what is covered.

I would guess that this may be considered a cosmetic issue and hence may not be covered by some plans. However it may be worth it to complain to Ford as there has been a lot of them and there is a TSB out on the specific color. Sounds to be more than random issues to me. Hopefully they will own up to it and take care of it.

If not make sure you buy the visors yourself and replace them. It is pretty simple to do and will save you the labor.

I sent Ford an email asking for an explanation as to why it was not covered and I am picking up the vehicle today and will ask the service writer for a reason as well and will post my findings. It really is dissapointing to see that Ford is balking AGAIN about something that is a true defect on my vehicle (like the paint pealing off the bumper at 18 months) Its not like I am asking for a new vehicle here, I just want them to stand behind their product....ugghhhhhh!!!

just wanted to post a quick update on my sun visor issue. Ford sent me an email reply about my situation:
I have checked your vehicle's records and learned that it is not under any outstanding recalls or TSB's. Also, your current PremiumCARE ESP does not cover it. Please visit the Ford ESP website at www.ford-esp.com for more comprehensive information about its complete coverage.

...now my dealership says that my vehicle IS included in TSB 09-2-9, but Ford say it is not. I called Ford and the rep told me (at first) that my vehicle was not covered, then told me that it was but "the customer is still responsible for repairs under a T.S.B." and that just because there is a T.S.B. does not mean they will cover it under warranty. Im not asking for a new vehicle here, but im sick and tired of every problem I have NOT EVERY being covered by Ford. Im just on a rant here, but my family has been loyal Ford owners going back to 1965 and still have several older Fords in the family - (1965 Tbird, 2-1965 Mustangs, 1983 F150 that just underwent resto, 1984 SVO, 1985.5 SVO, 1998 Ranger, 2007 Mountaineer, and my 2008 Explorer. Its frustrating when you try to do the right thing and support an American company who doesnt support you.

Our passenger side broke again and this time since we are out of warranty I just cut the power wire and I am leaving it alone. I might just cut off the hinge tabs off the top of the mirror to give it a cleaner look. Not worth spending my own money on it since we've had 4 broken ones now in less than 3 years

just wanted to post a quick update on my sun visor issue. Ford sent me an email reply about my situation:
I have checked your vehicle's records and learned that it is not under any outstanding recalls or TSB's. Also, your current PremiumCARE ESP does not cover it.

Did Ford say exactly why they think it isn't covered? PremiumCARE covers everything unless it's specifically excluded, and on the version of the agreement I have, I can't find any exclusion for visors, unless they're trying to call them "trim and upholstery".

I just checked my PremiumCare ESP as well.
It clearly states all failures are covered unless noted in the "not covered" list.
The only items that come close in that list is "rear view mirror" and "trim and upholstery".

They may be confusing a vanity mirror with a rear view mirror (hope they don't while they drive :thumbsup:)

I agree that I would ask exactly which component in the "not covered" list this belongs to.

All the dealership does is type in the part number of broken part and Ford computer will say weather it is covered or not.

Both mine are broken on my 2007. I can't wait to see what the price will be to fix them.

I will have it done in the spring months when I need oil change.

I checked on it and according to the rep on the phone at Ford, the dealership was not going to be reimbursed from Ford for the repair - thus why they did not do it. I asked the Ford rep and he said my premium ESP would not cover it. I should probably call them again and ask them specifically why this part is not covered as Alan suggested, but im at the point where I dont believe it would do any good. I hope others have better luck with this problem than I did - in the meantime I am going to taken them apart and cut the wiring to the lights. My passenger mirror cover is completely broken off and during a recent trip out of town my battery ran dead because i didnt have the lid exactly square on the visor (so the light stayed on for a week). I laugh at Fords slogan on their warranty web page: "No matter what the situation, Ford's got you covered" - yea right

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get my ESP contract out, get that Ford rep on the phone, and not let him go until he told me the exact paragraph and language under which he claims this is not covered.

Back