• Register Today It's free!

Sunroof teardown?

Texan01

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Ok, my factory power sunroof just shredded a part for the sunshade (the part that slides to block the light) plus I need to redo the cloth liner on it.

Has anyone ever taken theirs apart? I've removed the glass before to cure some rattles in it but I've never actually taken it down to the shade before.

It was sticking about 1/2 way and then binding up, I forgot the other day and slammed it home and it dropped what looks like a slider/spacer out of the passenger side.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know this too. The liner on mine is starting to come loose!

You know, I've always seen those come out with the entire moonroof assy. I too wonder if they are removable without removing the entire assy. I'll look and see what the manual says...if anything.

Here's what my 96 CD says:

Removal and Installation

1. Remove roof sliding outer glass panel as outlined.

2. Remove cross-car water channel.

3. Slide headlining shade half forward. Compress front spring loaded guide feet and remove from track.

4. Push the sliding roof headlining shade forward and up so that the front end is out of the opening.

5. Continue forward with shade and release rear guide feet.

6. Remove headlining shade through outer opening.

To install, reverse removal procedures.

and here is the "rest of the story" for the glass

Removal

1. Position the roof sliding outer glass panel to the full open position.

2. Remove four screws from U-channel.

3. Close the roof sliding outer glass panel.

4. CAUTION: Use care not to damage U-covers, or scratch paint with U-cover ends.

Disengage right and left rear U-cover ends.

5. Remove RH and LH side covers.

6. Remove six screws (three each side) retaining outer glass panel to roof sliding panel housing (502C22).

It was easier than I thought it was going to be. the shade literally just clips in. Found a screw from the shade stuck in the track.

I'm in the process of replacing the cloth liner on it, but a word of advice, be VERY careful with the handle/vent opening if you have it, it's made of extremely brittle plastic and it will shatter if you mishandle it. I sheared all the screw mounts just un-screwing it from the shade. So now I get to see if I can find some longer black screws and attempt to drill through the handle/bezel.

It may be brittle due to 13 years of Texas sun.

Apparently they changed the shade design after 98 as a friends 99 EB has just the grabhandle and no vent. That design feels cheap compared to mine.

Thanks for the post, I was going to do a write-up with pictures when I got done with mine.

The nice thing now is no rattles at the moment without the glass/shade in!

I would love to see a write up with pics!

Back