sup guys, need some info on premium sub dimensions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sup guys, need some info on premium sub dimensions

icu400

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hey yall. Some of you probably remember me from about a year ago when I was here browsing around doing my intstall. I ended up with 2 stealth boxes in the back of my explorer with 2 infinity 10's and a decent sony/pioneer speaker system in the cab. I had a blast doing it, and i've been a happy camper every day since. Here's some pics for the curious viewers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/604166

Anyway, now that i'm here again, I need a few questions answered about the stock sub in the premium sound system. My syster has a 99 explorer (mine's a 95, :( ) and she just had her sub blow out in the back. Now, she doesn't want me to tear up her trunk the way I kinda had to do with mine (I had to cut out part of the rear right trim panel), she just wants a working sub in the back.

The way I see it, I should be able to pick up a decent polk, JL, or rockford 8" for like 80 bucks or so, and most of the one's i've seen run in the 50-100 rms range. From the specs i've read, the factory amp puts out 85 rms (4 ohms? probably) but thats really probably only 70 or so. In any case, that should be enough to power a decent 8" to at least sound better than the crackled spitting that the popped stock one is doing now. In any case, i'm not really worried about the power.

I am however worried about the size, and integrity of the factory enclosure. I read the specs, and the enclosure is 15 liters. Thats about .7 cubic feet I think, could be wrong (i remember converting it and comparing to recommended volumes of a few subs a while back and i don't remember any issues, if anything it might be too big, and I could fix that easily enough). I AM worried about depth though. Can anyone find me the top mount depth of either the stock sub or the box? I'm not currently living at home now, so I can't really go home and take her car apart to find out, and I'm trying to shop for a speaker that I can get her for christmas so that I can do the installation over the holidays.

If anyone has any experience switching these out and has any points i'd love to hear them. Since I already know how to take out the panel, and I know about the wiring system I think i'm good to go there, but if you have any expertise with the box, speaker, amp, or have any recomendations about what to stick in there instead, i'm all ears.

Thanks in advance guys, its nice to be back here again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before I put my 10" in I tried a 8" pioneer dual voice coil that I got from radioshack on their website, and it fit like a champ. The only thing missing was the center magnet bolt on stock sub. Hope that helps

do you have the plans for that box you built on the left side of your x that is simply amazing i want to do that but i cant get a real good idea how to do it

baseballer1100 said:
do you have the plans for that box you built on the left side of your x that is simply amazing i want to do that but i cant get a real good idea how to do it

yeah it took me a while to think that up

its basically a box that sits on top of the left wheel hump and extends a bit (2-3 inches) behind the trim panel where the jack and washer fluid were. The box stops about half way and I put the amp behind it (where the fans are). If you are willing to sacrifice a bit more cargo room, it would be really easy to just build a box like 5-6" wide that extends out from the side of the trim panel (without going inside it at all) and has the same volume. Mine comes exactly to the edge of the wheel hump, because I wanted to save as much cargo room as possible, but that made the box very very tricky to make, because I had to mess with the back of it a lot and it was hard to figure that out (its one of the last pictures on the 3rd page, of the back of the left box)

i'd say the one on the right was actually harder, because I had to build it exactly right to fit behind the trim panel (and if you've taken that area apart, you'll see that there is all kinds of crazy metal and junk back there to build around.)

I also ended up fiberglassing the inside of both of um mainly for integrity more than anything. I wouldn't to be sure they wouldn't rattle, and that they were air tight.

still looking for sub top mount depth for the stock audiophile systems

or the width of the box would do

let me know please

thanks

Back