supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 136 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear about the problem with the mount bolts, hope you get it all fixed up.
Very excited to see the new supercharger setup going on, have fun and we will all be looking forward to seeing some pictures with the new setup in place!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What is happening with your "old" parts?

Sorry to hear about the problem with the mount bolts, hope you get it all fixed up.
Very excited to see the new supercharger setup going on, have fun and we will all be looking forward to seeing some pictures with the new setup in place!

i look at it as a excuse to do everything now because if i cant drive it for one reason, might as well make it 2 reasons lol. i'm curiouse to see what difference it will make with it being a little bigger as well as innercooled. i only have one worry and that is all the injectors are exposed instead of being in its dedicated runner. whats going to happen if or when i have a backfire? will it blow the welds of the intake (this time its not joke, it could happen lol)? that and i think dono is more excited about this then me lol

What is happening with your "old" parts?

so far there is a line up for them. every time i mention that the old blower is coming off my inbox lights up, but what will seperate the men from the boys is who is going to be willing to pay for it. lets face it, finding a used EE kit will set you back around 2K. when i did this m112 i did some thinking on how it was going to go on. i must have did something right because i have never had any problems with it, and everything fits like a glove. the only thing that has broken over the years is the coil bracket, and i think thats because i used to thin of metal to make it. if i sell it however, i will make sure i have some miles on this new one first just incase i have to put it back on, but lets hope not.

75407826_2766032010293187_1527358430581556522_n.jpg

this has me worried all over again. any ideas on how not to let this happen? i dont really want any oil to get into the new intake or it will clog the innercooler

tale of the tape

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

at first i panicked. i wanted to get a side by side comparison of the two together when i noticed the new blower sat a lot higher. then i realized that the new lower pan as i call it has a belly on it, and the old one dosent. after breathing a sigh of relief i broke out the tape measure and measuring from where the bottom edge is the new one will sit a inch lower then the old one.

114.jpg

115.jpg

the first noteable problem was the trans dipstick tube. it kinda hits the back edge of the mount, but a couple of wacks with a hammer and wood, it can be dropped on. the second, and i saw this coming as well is the bulkhead connector is sorta in the way, but once again i knew that i would be moving some wiring around so i will deal with that. the second, and this one i didnt see coming, my oil dipstick will be buried under the throttle body. once again, i will do some gentle bending.

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

now what kinda sucks is, and i kinda thought it would give me a problem is the adapter i made for the throttle body. i knew it would be close to the master cylinder. what i am going to do is buy a 45 degree hose (need to connect it anyway) and cut it so i can snake it by. i also figured i would have to take my ABS out, but after bending some of the lines, i should be able to get a 4 inch tube between it and my power steering reservoir.
next thing i saw was my heater hoses. the one that comes off the water pump has a bunch of bends to it to clear the alt, then comes up to the steel lines. well, i cant run those anymore, so i will be putting a 90 joiner in there, then both hoses will go over top of my valve cover. i was also planning to run my innercooler lines over to the passengers side. it looks like it might be too busy over on that side so i might do them over the passengers side. that also works because i can run the pump there, i have my meth pump mounted there now, and i dont plan on using it with the innercooler. my egr was making me scratch my head as well, but what i will do with that is put the tube back in place with the valve, then make some pipe to join it to the spot on the blower. hopefully that wont stress the factory egr pipe and have it crack over time.
if anyone spots a problem, or thinks that something could be done better then i have mentioned, speak! im at the point still where i can make changes

do you like ABS brakes? :)
Looks like a pretty good fit actually!

do you like ABS brakes? :)
Looks like a pretty good fit actually!

to me it doesnt matter. to the long arm of the law it might even if i have screwed with this truck to were it is now im trying to avoid giving them more reasons to pull it off the road if it ever came to that lol

83720187_10157007860292513_5166857075787811892_n.jpg

i can now say the coil packs, IAC, TPS, are lengthen or shorten and rerouted. i didnt want to do the MAF just yet because i am not sure where it will land. im going to tuck all or most of it into the injector harness on the passengers side to hide it better then branch out once it goes to the drivers side. i was surprised that i didnt have to touch any of the injectors at all. also have the heater hoses where they need to be. im going to take a break for a bit. its really hot up here, and i drank 1/2 my water cooler bottle in 3 days! tomorrow i think i will do the fuel lines and also rework the throttle body adaptor i made so it will have a little more angle to it and not rely on the hose that joins them together.

You complain when its cold and you complain when its hot!! LMAO

You complain when its cold and you complain when its hot!! LMAO

hell yea! fat guys hate the heat, and show me something other then a penguin that likes the cold!

106365250_2452401868313911_8659589249960913521_n.jpg

106484587_266340307959659_7909345396694217215_n.jpg

well, some progress. didnt get to far today because i discovered that i needed some more fittings for the fuel lines, as well as some fancy hose separators for the heater hoses, and brass fittings for the vacuum hoses. tommorow everything will be closed due to canada day so i wanted to grab everything i could if i get a chance to work on it. injectors are in it now, as well as my cross over line and return line as well as i wanted to see where the innercooler fitting would end up being. everything is getting pretty tight in there when its on the truck. might have to rethink on some of the routing i am going to do, but i will make it work somehow.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

i can say now, all of the wiring is done...well, still have to do the cooler pump, and relocate the battery cables, but all the sensors and stuff like that are finished. i also found out that saving two different underhood wire harness can come in handy. was able to use the correct colors when i had to lengthen them. also the fuel lines are also finished as well. everything is in their place.....unless i have to move them, but hopefully not. was also able to pie cut the throttlebody adapter so now everything wont go into the master brake cylinder to. i started to do the vacuum lines, but didnt have enough, so that will wait untill tomorrow. i will also have to get a silicon boot for the throttle body to my intake tube. if i leave it as is, it will be above the hood line. otherwise as long as it doesnt rain, which when it does, its going to be nuts. its been hot and humid up here over the last week or so, i am keeping at it.....sweaty and smelly as i may be...

Everything looks like it is coming together. Awesome!!!!!
What brand fan controllers are you using?

Clean bay
Great job so far

maybe time for a new air filter!
I've been happy with the Injen/Amsoil blue filters (no oil)
Keep it up!

Everything looks like it is coming together. Awesome!!!!!
What brand fan controllers are you using?

Flex-A-Lite digital controller. the funny story (and i will try to keep it short) was i had this fan kit when i had my capri. bought it used, called them looking for a wire harness for the old controller, and needed a mount kit. by the time i got off the phone with them, i had a new digital controller, wire harness for it, and 2 different mount kits on their way free of charge. they even paid for the shipping! from that day forward i have always told people to buy their stuff because of that customer service.

Clean bay
Great job so far

ive always tried to keep my engine bays tidy with are the wires tied up and loomed, and not hanging out everyplace and things looking like it was tossed together.

maybe time for a new air filter!
I've been happy with the Injen/Amsoil blue filters (no oil)
Keep it up!

i agree. that one has taken a beating. i think i have had it for 8 years now, have collapsed it more then one time when i have forgotten to take the bag off it and starting it after pressure washing under the hood. it is also a amsoil filter, just cant remember which one. dono ordered it for me years ago

It's going to be one of these:
I don't have an active account right now, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Its been pretty hot here. I'm finding that my rad fan can't keep up. First time since Iv'e owned the truck. Watching the temp needle creeping above the middle slowly is a bit unsettling.

Tim, your work is amazing. As always.

Are you sure you want to remove your water/meth injection? Maybe keep it, but stick in a smaller jet to make sure you get good atomization (if that's a word)? I think your going to be seriously octane limited. The water/meth helps raise that, as well as the cooling properties. I'm just concerned that you will have so much boost that we will be pulling too much timing and you will end up with no more power, but have way more heat going in to the exhaust. This will trash the headers. Just something to think about.

It's going to be one of these:
I don't have an active account right now, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Its been pretty hot here. I'm finding that MY TIRES ARE MELTING TO THE GROUND AS I DRIVE First time since Iv'e owned the truck. Watching the .

Tim, your work is amazing. As always.

Are you sure you want to remove your water/meth injection? Maybe keep it, but stick in a smaller jet to make sure you get good atomization (if that's a word)? I think your going to be seriously octane limited. The water/meth helps raise that, as well as the cooling properties. I'm just concerned that you will have so much boost that we will be pulling too much timing and you will end up with no more power, but have way more heat going in to the exhaust. This will trash the headers. Just something to think about.

fixed the first part for you don.

106719954_301201814395529_2604231260301889285_n.jpg

i do kinda want to get rid of the meth kit. that and i also dont know where i would put the jet for it because i dont think you want to have it before a innercooler and if i put it below it, it wont be a even spray to them.
also, anyone know where one can get a 3 inch to 4 inch silicone 20 or 30 degree couplier? im having a ***** of a time finding one

Could you add a 3" 30 degree pipe (With another silicone joiner), then put the reducer after that?
I know it wouldn't look as clean as you'd like, and you might not have enough room.

Yea, it's hot. I'm impressed (absolutely amazed) your slugging it out. I haven't done much outside.

Back