supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 143 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crap. You are in uncharted territory for me on this one again too. I haven't even changed the oil in my blower yet because i fear having to take it off to drain it and refill it

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sorry to see this Tim. I'm hoping that it's something you can fix on your own. Just another procedure to learn.

Crap. You are in uncharted territory for me on this one again too. I haven't even changed the oil in my blower yet because i fear having to take it off to drain it and refill it

i think i changed the oil in the m90 once. the m112 twice. i just wish i could figure out why it leaked out. i am sure it went into the case because there is no signs of oil on the outside anyplace at all.

Sorry to see this Tim. I'm hoping that it's something you can fix on your own. Just another procedure to learn.

it happens right? not really positive on me being able to fix it on my own however. i did call stiegemeier this morning and they said they will look for a rotor pack for me. i also called a few places here and nobody that i can find so far can repair them. i know winnipeg is a spec on the map, but sometimes i am baffled on how little support there is for things like this around me.
ive also posted in svt forum as well. not sure if i will get anything from it because i am barely on there, and most times people dont want to ship to canada. even when we are more then willing to pay shipping!

i think i changed the oil in the m90 once. the m112 twice. i just wish i could figure out why it leaked out. i am sure it went into the case because there is no signs of oil on the outside anyplace at all.
Just putting this out there
I been told several times by several people to only use anaerobic gasket maker ...oem...
Or the oil will leak out

My thoughts I'm probably wrong
The blower oil eats the rtv a piece came off ground to dust then a piece got into rotor pack seal s
Then all the oil leaks into your intake then burned.
And poof dolores was gone

Just my thoughts

i would agree on that, however i do have a argument for it. the m112 that i had was sealed up the same way, and never had a problem with it at all. when i sealed this one up, i used the right stuff. i literally was prying it on the tabs that you use to take them apart to get the snout and rotor pack off.

I guess the good news is that the oil blow-by you thought was coming from the motor, wasn't from the motor after-all.

The bad news is..........umm, we all already know the bad news. :-(

The seals that keep the oil in the rotor pack do fail and the vacuum in the intake will suck all the oil out through them.
If it had never been touched before it would have 11 year old seals? If it came off a 2009?

Get another rotor pack and install it, fill it with oil and then run it to warm it up. After it is warm open the fill plug and let the pressure out.
Then when it cools you will have a slight vacuum in the case which is supposed to help the seals last longer.
Check the oil frequently until you know it is not leaking.

Bob S might be able to install a clear sight glass fill plug in the snout for you in the future? I saw them on his site but am not sure if he has them for the snout you are using?

I had a M112 lightning supercharger start to get noisy and found it empty, swapped in another one and only used it for a short time.
Then changed to the M122 off the GT500.
Anyway, hope you get it back to life again soon! Truck is awesome!

That makes a ton of sense, that and I think it came off a 07, either way it never entered my mind before until that happened. Lol, bob was the first one I called this morning to. He is going to look and see if he has a core, will call him tomorrow and see if he found anything. I also called superchargers online, but they didn’t have anything in stock at the moment (was funny, they guy I was talking to I explained what I built but it sounded like a hack job, so I sent him the thread link, he couldn’t believe what the truck looked like or what the install looked like lol). i did however found a thread on how I guy took a m90 rotor pack apart and also gave the bearing and seal numbers. I have the link at home and will post it when I’m home from work. Now if they are the same and I will call bob and ask him, I have a local place that can get a lot of odd stuff like that. When I called them with the numbers I found in that thread, they had them in stock and probably will come out to $20 in parts. If that’s the case, I look at it like I have nothing to lose and may try to do it myself. Will have to make the gears, and rotors as well as check the measurements between the plate and rotors with a feeler gauge before taking it apart if I do it.

here is the link i found for the rotors

it is however for a m90. i am going to call stiegemeier in the morning and ask if

a - he has found a rotor pack and how funny will i walk after hearing the price or
b - if m90's and m122's have the same part numbers for seals and bearings as well as is it possible for me to time them and how. thats if he is willing to give that up.

clear sight glass is the best idea ever.....visual indicator of the oil level....I cannot believe there is no dipstick or sight glass??
Im starting to like my turbos more and more, fed oil from crankcase.....I always figured superchargers were similar!! Dang

That is the article I used to rebuild mine one of them
Also I have all the rebuild parts bearings and seals
If you need parts numbers
I'd buy a rebuilt rotor pack
Rebuilding them is a ***** the first time
Here is the seller I bought from
Supercharger Complete Rebuild kit fits M112 Jaguar Land Rover Range Eaton 4.2 | eBay

if you have part numbers, please send them my way.

when i looked at this link

Thunderbird infoway - Tbird and Cougar information

it mentions

Rotor seals - Chicago Rawhide Part# 8522

Front rotor bearings - NSK Part#NC6203C3X28

i called a bolt and bearing supply place thats in my town, and to my surprise they had those in stock for around $5 each! i just dont know if there is anything else in there like shims or something like that.

clear sight glass is the best idea ever.....visual indicator of the oil level....I cannot believe there is no dipstick or sight glass??
Im starting to like my turbos more and more, fed oil from crankcase.....I always figured superchargers were similar!! Dang

there are drawbacks from that as well imo. sure, using the oil from the motor is good, but, you have a turbo let loose guess where the oil is headed or vise versa. and the plumbing involved....wow. dono's truck isnt too bad because his is rear mount, but others you have tubes everywhere.

well, i have located a supercharger locally from a wrecker that is willing to sell me the rotor pack. it to supposedly has no mileage on it as well and off a 08. i am a little leery now of buying it for the same reason why i am where i am now.

so i was able to find a rotor pack this week locally. this one too is a a brand new take off, so i am a little nervous on the seals being the same as the one that got trashed.

1.jpg

also took a look at the pulley that i had on the blower when it happened

2.jpg

i guess the motor didnt stall out as fast as i thought, or i heard it sizing up when it was happening.

i wanted to get everything done for today so i could put it back together as well.
then it happened.......

3.jpg

4.jpg

wanted to make sure the bolts for the pulley were good and tight, so not thinking i used my 3/8 impact on it with the snout off and forgot i am using stainless bolts.....hub is buggered now. but this also leaves me with a dilemma on my hands. i can order a new hub from jegs for around 70 u.s. (90 canadian) before shipping. the problem is it wont ship unit the 19th and it will take a week to get here. there is a good chance it will start snowing by then.
or, i get a Billetflow pulley and hub from lethal performance that will cost 176 u.s. (230 canadian) before shipping. Billetflow Non-Slip Pulley System (Hub and 1 Pulley)
or see if a machine shop could make a new hub costing who knows.
the billetflow is a tad smaller, but grooved so the belt has a better grip, but will decrease belt life, and leave belt dust everywhere and they should have it in stock...i think.
get another metco hub, and hope this doesnt happen again, and just wait for it to come.
or machine shop, and take my chances on price and if it will last......

on a side note, the pack i got had a grey finish on it, not black so i ended up having 3 different colors on the blower. once again i knew that would only last so long with me, so i figured i would paint it and the snout so they all sorta match a lot better.

5.jpg

6.jpg

its also thanksgiving weekend here right now, so i have a day or two to figure out what i want to do. anyone have opinions?

Happy turkey day my Canadian friend enjoy the gravy

that hub cant be saved? What is the material? steel?
Dang stainless bolts so soft!!!

Back