• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
Little late but, if you heat that up in the oven, then that 12 ton press might remove it.
not a bad idea. im just wondering one thing with that. the gears are metal, and i believe the rotors are alum. i would think the alum might expand faster then the metal gears?
either way i will have all winter to play around with them in the gas chamber. that and i buddy of mine has a 20 ton that i would think will work. then again i have been wrong before.

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
well.......

filled the snout last night when i came home from work, went out after my last post to see if the level dropped, didnt look like it did. started it up, took it for a drive. the first few mins when even i even haft way got on the gas, it smoked out everything and anything behind me. thinking ok, its rich at idle because after all, i did knida rush don with the tuning and there are some spots we need to figure out still. i figured i would take it out on the highway to "clear its throat". seemed to work, no smoke. blower not making any weird sounds either.
came home, popped the hood, all seemed like it should. shut it off and pulled the plug......nothing comes out. i bought a few extra bottles of oil just in case as well. i dumped one in, and that was enough to tell me, this pack has the same problem as the other one.
going to try and see if i can find a place in canada that rebuilds them first before looking down in the u.s.
lessen learned. never buy a supercharger that has been sitting on the shelf for 10+ years with no mileage on it

ahodges

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT - 347 S/C
man you can't catch a break...

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level

ahodges

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT - 347 S/C

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
Send both packs in
Seems like you're going to need a spare
Man this sucks

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
Send both packs in
Seems like you're going to need a spare
Man this sucks

im trying to find a place in Canada that does them. So far it seems like nobody up here does them...

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
looks like im hooped. i have called a number of places up here, and nobody knows of anyone that rebuilds rotor packs up here. what i am more then likely going to have to do is gut the case of the rotor pack, block the front of the case off and have the motor run n/a for the winter depending on how bad the tune will be out. i do normally take it for a spin just to get everything moving or move it to clear snow out of the back yard.

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
got around to taking the rotors out today

1.jpg

oil on the back side of the case, not dout this rotor pack has the same as the old one. that and even though this is a pretty close up pick, im a little concerned now with what the case looks like with the scratches. but once again, its a close up.

so to move this thing around when winter hits (and we did get a tiny amount of snow the other day, but its gone now) i made a block off plate for the front of the case and will have to run it n/a. that also means no stomping on it, or more they likely i will drown it in fuel

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

stock belt also went on, minus one pulley. barely fit, but it did fit. kinda close to the upper rad hose, but it does clear it! i also started it to make sure it will run, and there were no problems.
now a new decision i have on my hands. i have found another supercharger down in the u.s. this time it is used with around 28K miles on it for around the same price as it might cost to get one rotor pack rebuilt. im on the fence here.

4pointslow

Explorer Torture Tester
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
I would have the rotor pack rebuilt, and buy the other supercharger in hopes that it could be installed right away.
Do both, but save enough money for Ramen noodles. LOL. We need to hit the lottery so we have more time and money to spend on our Explorers.

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
i would do both, but i would have to sell my body.......and i think the KBB is like $10.60?
and like i have said in the past. should have been a drug addict, its cheaper.

ahodges

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT - 347 S/C
But you would have less to show for your money.. Come on now!

vroomzoomboom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
im more then likely now going send both packs to stiegemeier. hopefully they can repair one, and i will see if they would like to buy the other as a core.
ive also been thinking that now that this thing got way faster overnight, need to start thinking safety stuff because sooner or later they will pick it apart when i go to the strip. one thing i wanted to put in for a long time was a driveshaft loop. lucky for me, i found one today at a shop that was liquidating for $5 NIB

122467213_1503270146534924_8519418233347354466_n.jpg

122458907_345180513220322_3777473836097457197_n.jpg