supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 154 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

Post number 3431 has been selected as best answered.

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

finally have the harness thinned out, labelled and separatedthank god!

287524353_338587575018140_471650067692844987_n.jpg

and the spare stuff.

288854739_549093103351201_6567572719424920271_n.jpg

holley is kinda jerks with this, they will put 2 wires that are the same color right beside one and other for you to figure out. then you have to read the numbers on the plug to identify them using nothing short of something with the magnification power to see into space.

also pulled the valley pan off the blower mount, and cleaned all the oil out of it. i need to find why thats happening as well. but i did mount the 3 bar map into the valley pan, along with the new temp sensor.

287820761_1190077558454477_8224590623037173762_n.jpg

will have to see how tomorrow plays out. supposed to be hotter then the surface of the sun, so not sure what will and what wont get done.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I used a black marker on the white plugs and then quickly wiped it off, that way I could more easily see the letter on the plugs identifying each pin / letter. The black plastic plugs, I don't have a white paint pen so I used tape and labeled the wires A, E, etc so there was no confusion

Good job thus far!!!

I used a black marker on the white plugs and then quickly wiped it off, that way I could more easily see the letter on the plugs identifying each pin / letter. The black plastic plugs, I don't have a white paint pen so I used tape and labeled the wires A, E, etc so there was no confusion

Good job thus far!!!
never thought of that. wished it did. sucks because now i dont think i will have to go back into the connectors, or at least i hope i dont.
i also noticed something last night. now i am not sure if i am getting ahead of myself but any idea on what i am needing to do for my alternator? correct me if i am wrong but the wires for the regulator go to the ford pcm. the pcm that will no longer be there......

alternator regulator power comes from PJB (alternator/generator fuse, or fusible links 98-04) and the dash (battery light) not from the PCM
even if it did come from the PCM we can easily use switched (acc) power to power up the voltage regulator if needed.

The one thing I am still trying to sort is the EVAP system, the holley does not have canister purge solenoid....our trucks use a vented tank and charcoal canister with two purge valves between the intake and the fuel tank. We need the ability to open and close the canister purge at WOT!!!!!!

alternator regulator power comes from PJB (alternator/generator fuse, or fusible links 98-04) and the dash (battery light) not from the PCM
even if it did come from the PCM we can easily use switched (acc) power to power up the voltage regulator if needed.

The one thing I am still trying to sort is the EVAP system, the holley does not have canister purge solenoid....our trucks use a vented tank and charcoal canister with two purge valves between the intake and the fuel tank. We need the ability to open and close the canister purge at WOT!!!!!!
so, no need for anything to run to the voltage regulator?
also i am not even sure if i have that hooked up still or not. not that i wanted to but there has been so much emissions stuff pulled off the truck, i dont think there is much, if not anything left now, but i could be wrong

Here is a diagram for the 1998 Explorer charging system.
Just in case you need it.

98 Charging system.jpg

so far i have wired the map, iat, coolant, tps, O2, and fuel pressure sensors. last night i also finished the first of the 2 "big" wire jobs, the injector harness.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

im not really happy with loom job in the passengers side, and might redo it, but then again how much of it will you see when its all together. i also hate where i had to put the connector, but there wasnt too many places where it could go.
todays challenge will be the coil drivers, and coils. 410fortune laid it all out on how to do it in his build thread 410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"
so i will be doing it note for note and hoping i dont screw it up. i also need to find a place for the coil drivers. after that, there will be a couple of things left, then i can fire this thing up. i am hoping for next weekend because it will be a extra long weekend for me and weather permitting i will be working on evil to get her on the road again. i really want to see how this holley system works!

this is a lot like work! but i believe im on the down slope now.
was able to wire in both coil drivers, or the imput side at lest. also found a spot for them. not happy where they are going, but im kinda lacking spots for them. need to talk to 410fortune about the 12v switch stuff on the coil plugs. tossed the supercharger back on to see how everything still fits. still fits! not for sure if i will throw fire in the hole this weekend or not, but i am getting closer!

291763423_796302914884370_6338690043370724129_n.jpg

290400726_574785707366755_1734080942047214758_n.jpg

believe it or not, that rats nest looks a whole lot better then when i first started! the one thing i think i will do is shorten the trans harness. its way too long.

290389401_2140187259495700_8674898525461366762_n.jpg

Well done!!
Did i mention o hate cell phones? We are having a heck of a time trying to communicate about this

Well done!!
Did i mention o hate cell phones? We are having a heck of a time trying to communicate about this
satelite phone? any ham repeaters near ya? ;)

slowly i am getting this thing finished. i was able to talk to 410fortune, and he verified i was on the right track with my coil harness. so i present to you, tada, the coil harness!

290758129_747105546715132_6926830584024648048_n.jpg

the crappy thing was this took about 2 1/2 hours to make. a tad paranoid i was going to screw up a wire then putting it on the truck, then pulling it off, cutting, ect. also had to shorten the cam syc harness as well. got the battery wiring cut to length and clamped to the battery terminals. then put the console in to see how it will fit. the harness going to the drivers is a tad tight but the rest looks ok. also all that wiring in the last post fits rather well in the console. i mentioned it would have been cool to be able to fire it this weekend, but nope. im also not saying next weekend or the weekend after, but i have came to the conclusion that it will be ready when its ready. after all, its been less then a month since its been off the road, and to get done what ive gotten done, not liking wiring, and only being able to work on it on the weekends i would like to think im doing ok. then again i haven't thrown power at it yet, so who knows if this thing starts on fire, or all the leds in the brain go red.

well done!!!

here is the 42 pin plug (C115 in an Explorer) that we spoke about
You will find many of the wires you need to interface with the truck at this connector!! Most of the wires that go from drivetrain to truck can be found in here

screen-shot-2010-08-21-at-9-02-25-pm-jpg.jpg

scription_289d2c1f90f3a8d4326cf8058357d364c577a7e7.jpg

well done!!!

here is the 42 pin plug (C115 in an Explorer) that we spoke about
You will find many of the wires you need to interface with the truck at this connector!! Most of the wires that go from drivetrain to truck can be found in here

View attachment 431175

View attachment 431176

awesome, thank you jamie! yes, there are a few i spotted just looking it over real fast. now i am trying to figure out if i should cut the wires from the connector, or get another connecter that fits into that, and wire it from there!
i almost made a mess for myself. i was about to wire the crank trigger when i realized there is no connector there. now i am waiting for the parts store to get a 3 pin male/female weather pack in.

You could get the drivetrain side of the c115 from almost any ford from 96-05 and then use that to connect Holley to truck

You could get the drivetrain side of the c115 from almost any ford from 96-05 and then use that to connect Holley to truck
that is good to know. there are a ton of those at work. looks like i will be walking around there tonight with a pair of side cutters lol
also, can you post the diagram you made for the coil packs in my thread? i cant figure out how to do it with the pdf file you sent me

its been slow going. if its too cold out, its too hot. also with that brings rain. i was able to put the crank trigger in and bracket that @RegionThr33 (david) sent up.

292253673_717451212893732_2206177705829914924_n.jpg

i also put the center console in the truck to see how the wires and brain fit. i didnt factor it would be around 3-4 inches off the floor. lucky for me i did leave some slack, it was still a little tight for my liking so i bent the pinch weld on the trans tunnel over a bit, and its now again where i am happy with it. i have some loose wires in the trans harness that i have to figure out where they go (holley is also nice enough to put all the colors for the harness that comes out the the trans ranger selector switch black so you have no clue what, what is) and once thats done all of the wiring for the holley system will be done.
i still have to figure out how oil is getting into the supercharger. i pulled it apart last night and really didnt like what i saw. its done a number on the coating for the rotors. temped to rip all the vacuum lines off and start over.
there are a few other things i want to address as well that i am going to look over as well now that the motor or top part at least is apart.

so officially all my wiring that goes to the terminator is now DONE! holley even tried throwing a curve ball at me with the trans harness by mixing up 4 pins. well played to a guy who is overloaded with wiring........
gotta thank jamie @410Fortune because without his help, this would not be possible! as well as russ, @NICE59FORDF100 who also helped me with some stuff, brett @Brett for selling me everything and planning out what i need, lastly a buddy of mine here that was able to get some ford schematics from mitchel on demand.
now as i said, everything going to the terminator is done, but the rest of the truck needs to be put together. that will start happening tomorrow, then i have to put power to the system, change a few small things, then fire it up and start tuning.

wooooooo hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very close now

293031846_1403763660099820_8036824994431356739_n.jpg

once again, its hot as hell right now (even worse when your a old fat guy with high blood pressure). pretty much all the motor is now together except the belt. also, i am having a hell of a time finding the alt wires in the c115 plug for some reason. what i did was take some of 410fortunes advice and ran what ever i could into that connector, then into the truck. once i find where the yellow/white, green/red go i will have all the wiring done under the hood to fire it up. i was waiting for my can/bus connector to come in, and it came on wednesday. there is a ground and a switch 12v that i need to hook up, as well as a couple of grounds from the harness, then that too will be done then i can add power, chance a few wire locations, set the tps, and what ever else you need to do before start up, then away we go! (as long as i didnt mess anything up and im not holding my breath with the way the last 2 weeks have gone!).

i was also looking at the radio bezel that i reworked for the screen. i still didnt like it after painting it so there is a place local to me that can do hydro dipping and got them to do a carbon fiber film on it. cant say i like it, but i also dont hate it either. 293412872_379198791006372_4187966256362639571_n.jpg

Back