supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 142 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When will people learn s..t happens

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I cannot find the video anymore
Troll was last seen here in 2018 and search is not working to find his old threads
I remember 96 347 vortec 4 door at drag strip got into the 10's and was banned until he installed a cage, battery cut out, etc...........too fast
and if memory serves that was BEFORE the intercooler........
Their website is down, search on google and youtube and nada.......... the video is out there somewhere! FAST truck 20 years ago and 4 doors!

The only thing I had saved of Troll was this one hood picture;

Attachments

• Troll96ExpCobrahood.jpg
    Troll96ExpCobrahood.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 93

trolltrack

just text one of the members here, and he had the link. he said he might have some others stored and will have to find them later

Lol both of us

He don't have any other videos drag racing I could find

all i know is i have finally reached a goal of owning a 12 second 1/4 mile vehicle, just would have never dreamed it would be a explorer. it also kinda freaks others out as well.
12 second?
Keep putting the tune to her, get it to hook, loose the excess weight(truck), and some tree practice= easy 11's.
That truck is gonna make some heads explode!
Nice, hard work.

Wow 11.8 quarter in a 4 door!!!!!....thanks for finding that video
People have been trying to catch him ever since........
Loving this build!!! makes me want to lower my 7.3 Van :)

Tim, I think it has a 12.0 in it for sure! You didn't even have the fans working on these runs. Nice work!

Tim, I think it has a 12.0 in it for sure! You didn't even have the fans working on these runs. Nice work!

i donno about 12 flat. maybe another tenth or two.....then again i never thought this truck would be in the 12's to begin with so who knows. also, i cant say about the first run if the fans werent working, but the other 2 i will say no. i think don had said to put another degree of timing in up top. will have to talk to him about that. there is a race this weekend at the 1/8 mile track which is a 10 min drive from me. but its a 1/8 mile. however the very last race at the 1/4 track is the following weekend. if i have time i might have to see if i can get there.
im also kinda cheating here to. when i went to the track, it was still cool out, but warmed up when i did the 3rd pass. winter is coming soon and it will begin to cool off in the next week. that means boost weather!

The log of the second run you sent me the coolant was at 220 degree's, so the fan's were not working then either.
With the added heat, your intake air temps were rising (Up to 170 degree's).
I have your tune set to start pulling timing when your over 160 degrees, and I pull it fast.

What does this mean? In the run you sent me you had about 16 degree's of timing at wot. If your intake air temps were lower, you would be 18 degree's (Or is it 19, I can't remember where we left off).

I'll be interested to see what your time slip looks like at 18 or 19 degree's timing. From there, the only way to know if there's more room is to add another degree and go for a run. Once we see the time slip we will know if there is any more left in the tune.

Any info I can find says 19 degree's at the top end on aluminum heads is about as good as its going to get, but I'd sure like to see for sure.

More boost will be where its at. But, at 91 octane gas, we have a problem. No 93 or e85 around here.
If we knock that stock block at these power levels, I'm afraid of the pictures that will be posted. We all love carnage pics, but I don't want to be responsible for it.

Maybe we could go with water/meth direct port injection (One spray nozzle at each intake port)? The water/meth guys say this is the only way to increase octane and a single nozzle before the intake only lowers intake air temps.

Maybe nitrous? That would be an amazing power adder to go along with boost. There's a reason @4pointslow went down that road.

Getting to 11's is a long tough road. I'd sure love to have gotten the inside skinny on the details of Troll's build. I've seen enough pics of Windsor v8's looking like two 4 cylinder motors with that ugly crack down the center of the block to make me nervous. I don't think many parts survive when that happens.

Amazing work Tim, I can hardly wait to see what you come up with next! Your turning in to a mad scientist of sorts.

Yup, I learned something that day, first one was not to let it run while waiting in staging lane. Too much heat. Wished the data log didn’t screw up on the last run either.
I am noticing this thing is becoming finicky. One day it will run like a scared jack rabbit, another day like a scared sloth. Friday I went for a quick drive to the city. On the way back I was coming up to a set of lights that just went amber. Not wanting to wait and doing around 70-80 kms (45-50mph) I may have went 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Next thing I knew I was going sideways past the intersection and looking at the boulevard, and hearing nothing put tires squeal! That woke me up real fast. I took both lanes to get it back under control!
The next day the rear tires went on the front, and the front on the rear! I also figured I would look at the plugs. Once again number 4 and 8 looked a little black compared to the others so I figured I would put new ones in because those where from the last time it ran really rich. I also managed to bugger up a new spark plug wire in the process. The longes one at that! Lucky for me I had some new spares kicking around. I’m also gapping them to about .027.
Today I took it for a drive and it almost felt like it wasn’t happy. I have notice also at certain throttle positions when accelerating the wideband goes to around 10, and that’s not full on either, however I also think belt slip isn’t helping either. I knew that would happen sooner or later as well, so as soon as I can sell some stuff, I will convert to a 8 rib. That and trying to do any tuning right now is kinda pointless imo, it’s too cool.
Also the guy that gave don and I a little help with the tune found some stuff called boostane professional which will raise the octane to 102. It’s not cheep, but if I’m going to toss it down the 1/4, might be worth a try.
also this weekend is the last race at the 1/4 track, I’m hoping the weather is good enough for them to open it. If it is, I may head out there on Saturday for one final kick at it, and get don some more data to look over

Tim, I just stumbled across your thread and found out you raced it and ran 12.6's.
I have to say congratulations, You did it! Nice work, and Nice work on the tuning Dono!
So glad you are having success with your truck, you have worked hard to get it where it is today and you deserve the success!
Now enter your time and information on the DragTimes.com website and the Explorerforum page with all our official time slips.
Cant wait to hear more about your track time coming up!

thanks john, you are also one of the person responsible for helping out. took me a few years to catch you as well. however, your doing it with 2 less cylinders so in a way your still ahead!
i have a new belt for the truck (hell the one thats on it is only a month old). if i go to the track, i might put it on and see if it will help the slip i am starting to notice happen. if it does, who knows, maybe a little faster, and yes i fixed the problem with the fans. bad contact at the battery terminal

also, i would post/summit the time if i knew where the thread was, and how to post it on that other page

today is sunday, the last day the track will be open until spring. was going to go yesterday, but thought it would be too cold for them to run so i stayed home......only to find out hours later they ran.....DUHO! i did however checked over a few small things. first, as i mentioned, the truck didnt seem happy. when i was changing spark plugs (i really didnt want to mention this one either) one didnt feel like it went in the way it should. checked it, it was fine. while i was in there i figured i would also check to make sure all the wires were seated correct. bank 2, fine. went to check bank one, and number 4 was pretty much hanging on for life. fiddled with it till i heard it click, started it up, and idle was good. when i thought it wasnt happy, could hear a tiny pop or backfire at cold idle, wasnt doing it anymore. i also figured i would check the catch can. i have drained it once already. the first time a bunch of water came out, then a little bit of oil. this time, the same. im amazed at how much condensation was in there, either way its doing its job. will more then likely take it for a ride later today to burn some of the gas out of it because it more then likely wont be driven too much for this year.
also for those that dont know, today is dono's birthday, happy birthday don!

Put some real gas in it too if you can find it. You don't want alcohol in cars that set for long periods of time(like the whole Winter). The Stabil fuel additive is good enough for Winter is that's the best choice.

Alcohol free gas is not too hard to find in regular octane here. But premium real gas is tough to get, I have one station that has it and when they run out, the pump is "closed" for a few days. I got it last week for $2.61 a gallon, and then it jumped to $2.76 which is still not bad. My new 73 Ranchero is high compression, and needs it.

I thought that would be that way there. You may not have any choice to buy fuel without alcohol in it, which is very bad when it gets old. Just run it fairly low before storing for the Winter, and put in an additive to stabilize the alcohol fuel. I've used it for lawn care fuel and one car long ago I knew I wouldn't drive for a long time.

I thought that would be that way there. You may not have any choice to buy fuel without alcohol in it, which is very bad when it gets old. Just run it fairly low before storing for the Winter, and put in an additive to stabilize the alcohol fuel. I've used it for lawn care fuel and one car long ago I knew I wouldn't drive for a long time.

yes i know how to store fuel

so this happen tonight

120757745_805185503649336_2888717971804059220_n.jpg

went to the folks tonight for supper and figured i would would bring evil with me and go for cruise night afterwards. well, it started to rain and i turned around and headed home. now, i am not sure if i said this before, but this blower made gear noise like the 671 or 871's do (which kinda pissed me off because i couldnt hide the fact there was a supercharger under the hood). i brushed it off thinking that was normal. on the way home at one point it started to get louder. i thought it was my stereo, so when i turned it down and could still hear it, i started to get a little nervous. within about 10 seconds of hearing that, i heard like a clunk, then the motor died.......crap. the only good thing was i was close to home vs a hour away, and was near a grocery store parking lot next to the highway home. called the tow truck (a company that i take all my stuff i sell to get safety checked so i know everyone there) when the driver was loading it, he kinda gave me the gears, but i know him so it was all good
got it back home, and not even 5 mins i was ripping this apart to see what happen. i figured something in the blower locked up therefor stopping the belt, and locking everything up.
took the belt off, blower pulley wont budge.
next, take the snout off. this is where it gets interesting. as i am prying it off the case, i have a towel under it to catch the oil when it comes out. i had put idk, about 4 bottles of it in (gm, they are something like 115ml i think) BUT nothing came out.......and there where no traces of it leaking.
pulled the snout off

120759424_459633575014196_349695544232578159_n.jpg

spins freely.
fear comes over me. either the rotor pack locked itself into the case, or worse. i didnt want to think of worse
try to spin the pack. locked. grab a bar, no dice. start to get the pack out of the case, and it came out easy. look at the pack

120753698_396452251352075_6287194715917220072_n.jpg

not scored. look in the case

120761721_2729337920620623_7072403550946740505_n.jpg

thats fine to.
look at the gears

120761262_356175842405748_2392056441032359163_n.jpg

no broken teeth or nothing, but the pack will not turn. even out the blower case. so however, and why ever, the oil some how leaked out of the snout to someplace. because of that, the rotor bearings were dry, and seized. now i dont know is this something i can fix because i know the rotors have to be timed and i have never done anything like that before, nor do i know how hard that is, or if you need special tools to take everything apart. i am going to call around tomorrow and see if this can be repaired or not. i am sure it can, and if i can avoid it i dont want to ship it down to the states because who knows how long it will take to get there, and back.

SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back