supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 150 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nitrous, ... or invite Don over with his Mustang, ... and swipe that blower.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

snuck off to the track today. figured i would see if she could back up its last passes. the good, there was a car show about 20 mins south of the track i good to. the better, the rival track (1/8th mile however) was also having a test and tune. which ment this track would be practically dead, and it was! the bad, there was a head wind that was 50km/ph, or 30 mph if you like.
also wanted to give my buddy with the black mustang a rematch as well because he had a couple of problems with his car.

here was the run

the good, i kick his butt again 6 way from sunday lol

242372689_10157888799062513_6750429325076688011_n.jpg

he was all happy that he did his best reaction time.....then he saw mine. nope, didnt beat me and the evil one on anything that run......however....
watch the video. you will start to see what looks like smoke coming out around haft track. when i was coming back on the return lane, i saw one of the track worker walking my lane i went down. when i got the timing person, i asked if i threw anything down on the track. she said they were just looking it over because i had a little smoke come out. the the tech guy drove up and told me i was leaking something.....whoops!
turns out i have inherited dons problem with this motor of a hard warm start. i also brought over a problem that evil had a few years ago which was kicking out the block heater.....day over, one and done. and what sucked more was i could have made a pile of runs today to! oh, to also add insult to injurie, this time i remembered everything i needed to datalog, BUT i forgot to plug the wideband in, and when i was told i was leaking, i shut the truck off without saving anything, therefor having the live link freeze up on me. so yea kind of a bummer of a day. funny thing? i just looked on facebook. 6 years to the day is when don and i went to the track. it was also the same time he blew out his head gasket spraying his lane, and i pushed a frost plug spraying my lane. we were like the 3 guys down the track, as well as my buddy and myself were also about the third or fourth to go down as well.....

evil tried sabotaging itself yesterday.

243348201_199177212317521_2648371081028257838_n.jpg

243037781_2007024459461583_5077838639508370686_n.jpg

i didnt make it to cruise night last week, which really pissed me off because i found out later the winner of 2021 drag week, Schroeder Ens (which is based in winnipeg) was out in their vet! wanted to get out this weekend, and was almost really to leave when i spotted i little wet spot on my upper hose. good thing to, because i didnt realize that there was a grove sawed into it until after i pulled it off (which was real fun draining hot coolant as well). evil didnt want to go out. what evil didnt know was i have all the v8 parts boxed up from don's truck. 45 mins later, we hit the road.
i am also noticing the fumes inside of it are starting to get pretty bad. dont know if i have a real bad leak somewhere (i know i have a header leak, but not sure if it would cause the fumes inside to be that bad) or something else. winter is coming soon so that will wait until next spring. just like everything else i was planning on doing to the truck....

Wow, is there that much belt bounce?
You inherited the cabin smells that I had Tim. In a word, nauseating.

I'm not sure if its the cam causing this, or what. Knowing first hand what your living, its pretty bad.

Wow, is there that much belt bounce?
You inherited the cabin smells that I had Tim. In a word, nauseating.

I'm not sure if its the cam causing this, or what. Knowing first hand what your living, its pretty bad.

nope, not belt bounce. clearance. when i was at gimili and it pushed the block heater out, when i was trying to burp it, i was squeezing the upper hose to force coolant into it while it was running. thought i heard something rubbing but couldnt be sure because of the other cars around. i was right, the belt rubbed a grove into the hose. what happen was i went to a smooth 8 rib pulley it has a smaller diameter then a 6 rib. will have to change it back to a larger 6 rib smooth for the clearance.
as for the fumes, like wow.....im almost swearing its to the point im getting carbon dioxide poisoning from it.

Yea, I tried sealing my rear hatch but was not successful at getting rid of the smell.
I sympathize with you. I have no answer for it either. :dunno:

so.....where to begin....
well, where i work, sometimes you see stuff brought in that really breaks your heart.
earlier this week this was brought in

243138501_627716394885635_5585293347479016204_n.jpg

243518883_921862811764113_5717453171407361320_n.jpg

relax, this isnt don's old truck. as a matter of fact, this is one of my old trucks. that i owned twice. long story as short as i can make it, i bought it 4 years ago, fixed it up, and sold it to a little lady. then last summer i bought it back. this was one of the very rare trucks up here. a 2000 limited with a v8. she had to park it shortly after i sold it to her, and she parked it at a friends IN A BUSH! but it ran like a top. bought it, drove it home, then re sold it to a kid that was going to fix it up. guess he didnt fix it up because it came into work on monday. i literally spotted it from 300 feet away. i know it was one of the trucks i sold because my kid fed it to a snowbank, crumpling the front fender, and the heated seat button on the passengers side was broken. all the v8 stuff was gone. i was able to pull the mirrors off (has heated puddle lamps) alpine front speakers (which i didnt know it had) and the rear diff for a former co worker that wanted it because it was a "holly grail" 3.73 track lock that he will be putting into his 53 f150. after that was done (and the entire time i was apologizing to the truck as well, weird i know) then it was fed to the shredder. still hate myself for that to.

moving on to tonight (or last night depending on when you read this) it was time to perform the autopsy on evils old 347, and all i will say is....wow.....
i knew the head gasket was blown between 3 and 4, but....well, you look

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

if your going to screw something up, make it worth your while, BUT WAIT! theres more!!!!!

6.jpg

7.jpg

thats bank 2! it wasnt to far behind! glad i'm going to MLS's now! oh but wait! THERES EVEN MORE!

8.jpg

can you spot the problem? if not, i will give you another clue.

9.jpg

in my hand it the locating dowel for the cam sprocket. the other part of it is still in the cam! i have no idea how long it was like this, or even how it happen, but once again, it was a train wreak waiting to happen!

the motor is apart with the exception of the cam and lifters. i will pull them tomorrow. i wanted to get the crank out so i can get it all rebalanced. all the bearing looked good with one little exception.

243502043_907937109824941_4812736131577275862_n.jpg

243818354_1509109822782737_6517556495716172140_n.jpg

these are king crank bearings. im not sure if i should worry about the scuffing on the trust bearing or not because stupid me didnt check the end play before i tore into the motor.

I would love to see a picture of the shredder if you ever have time to take one.
Sad to see an Explorer go in it though, I wish we could save them all!

I would love to see a picture of the shredder if you ever have time to take one.
Sad to see an Explorer go in it though, I wish we could save them all!
i'll see what i can do.
and i hear you. i told the loader operator that i work with (also a ford guy) to send it and to put it out of its misery

Yes, I cant imagine the force behind shredding a vehicle. I keep hoping to see a gen 3 v8 sitting with no motor, but the motor sitting beside it with my name on it. Not that I have the cash to stick forged rods and slugs in it though. The motor sitting there would obviously give me incentive to find the money, banks are begging us to borrow money with these low interest rates.

Yes, I cant imagine the force behind shredding a vehicle. I keep hoping to see a gen 3 v8 sitting with no motor, but the motor sitting beside it with my name on it. Not that I have the cash to stick forged rods and slugs in it though. The motor sitting there would obviously give me incentive to find the money, banks are begging us to borrow money with these low interest rates.

well, from memory and i am sure i am wrong, the motor that we have for it is either a 3000 or 3500 hp motor, not sure of the torque it has. it takes around 10-15 seconds start to finish to shred a complete vehicle. it has to have a min of 4 people for it to run. i believe every time they have to start the mill from 0 rpm to 600 or 800 (not sure of what the running rpm of it is) it costs $2000 in electricity. and when they have to stop it if they break a cap or hammer, it takes 30 mins for it to stop spinning, unless they stall it which has happen, and they have had plug ups which has taken up to 8 hours to clear out.

this is a pic i took 10 years ago when it had stalled because the crane operator fed it a full grapple of either chain link fence, or barbed wire.

28270_418638247512_5571038_n.jpg

the mill has been changed up 2 times since.

as for your motor don, every time a 3rd gen comes in, and i am in the building processing any autos that come in, if you remember terry who came with me that one time to pic up the engine picker from your place, i get him to bring it to me so i can check what motor is in it. lol. i am still hunting for it, and luck has had it that i am back there 3 days a week. i havent forgotten, and most times its at the top of the list lol.

ground view of just the shredder, or if you like, the mill.

243916325_1207998296376138_6717303115112103454_n.jpg

mill, first transfer belt (the one thats on top of that blue wall) the 2 mag drums and shaker tables that separate any fluff and nonferrous

243895427_823278615011998_16707376903222848_n.jpg

picker shack where some poor shumck has to pic any copper off the belt (ive been in there and it sucks) after that, the stacker belt where all the shred falls into the rail cars. you can also see the mag belt (well the tail pulley at least) as well as a belt that drops all the fluff and nonferrous into the nonferrous belt that goes into one of 2 nonferrous plants where it separates it even more.

244132859_836518527048085_6032714373201650754_n.jpg

Wow that place looks cool, that is a machine and a half! LOL.
Any videos of it eating things?

cant really get that. the operator goes off infrared cameras. also when its running, even when its hot out, the steam is pretty thick

dropped off the crank, balancer, and all the stuff that you would need to have everything balanced to the machinist thurs. evening. he was pretty impressed on how well the bearings as well the rings looked. even the crank showed zero wear. however, he did say because of the damage to the front of the cam, i should replace it, as well as the timing set. sucks to because he had mentioned the lobes on the cam looked very good as well...

so on i went on my block clean up

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

then tonight i get a message.....

"you do know your flexplate is cracked, right?"

um....nooooo.....

4.jpg

that totally got by me. glad he spotted it, because that to would have caused all sort of bad things. and me having no feet!

what started as a blown head gasket sure has snowballed. im starting to think, this is my spare motor at the moment, why am i dumping money into it?
once again i am living up to my screen name, not that i am proud of it.

Dang

Time for a scatter shield!

Time for a scatter shield!

not sure if one will fit because how tight these things are in the trucks, but a sfi flex plate is coming. i also didnt need much talking into getting one either. we also found that the converter bolt pattern is different then the stock flex plate pattern as well (?). i dont know the make of the converter, but i know when i had it re done years ago, the guy called it a "cop car" converter because it looked like one from a crown vic that had a 4.6.
not sure what don had bought for his truck, but i think i remember him having a tough time finding one.

The flex plate I went with was a PRW SFI.
This was a 28oz, and it was re-balanced to zero. They do carry zero balance ones also.
They were a great company to deal with. Very quick on the phone to answer my questions, shipping was fast and cheap.

The flex plate I went with was a PRW SFI.
This was a 28oz, and it was re-balanced to zero. They do carry zero balance ones also.
They were a great company to deal with. Very quick on the phone to answer my questions, shipping was fast and cheap.
TBH, im not sure what dimas ordered lol. he grabbed one of his books, asked if it was a 164, then said "hey, this is sfi approved and not too expensive". i didnt even give him a chance to finish when i said "ORDER IT". just didnt want a problem to open into a can of worms for him or i

Back