Supercharger bearings went today :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger bearings went today :(

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
On my way to work this morning, I instantaniously got some bad sounds from under the hood, upon closer inspection it appears that the supercharger bearings (Powerdyne) went south. Going to take the belt off tomorrow and make sure it isn't the idler pullies, but the sound is very loud coming from the intake tube.

Called Powerdyne and they stated that the extreme cold has adverse effects on the bearings. It was 0 this morning.

Has anyone replaced the bearings themselves?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch... sorry to hear that.

Man, that sucks. Can you order new bearings from powerdyne? It was -20 here this morning. Guess I better not supercharge. lol

I can get the bearings on ebay...

I hope the weather warms a little so I can work on the truck, I have a garage, but it is just as cold in the garage as it is outside. I have a propane heater, but it doesn't help when it is this cold.

ouch sorry to hear that... my X is hating this cold weather too.

Well, took the SC off today, it's toast. The bearings went and the impeller scuffed the housing.

Going to send it out to http://www.928motorsports.com/ they seem very reputable and replace the bearings with a upgraded version. Just hope the impeller is not too damaged as then it would have to go back to Powerdyne.

Also, I hope not too much metal shavings have entered the engine from the metal on metal of the SC....will at least change the oil & filter when I get it back together.

*928 is recommending removing the belt and running w/o the blower when temps are below 10

you can adapt their newer oil lubed system inplace of your old blower if it breaks down quite often, costs about 2 grand

I shipped the SC out to 928motorsports yesterday overnight, so I am hoping to hear from them either today or tomorrow on the status of the damage. They tell me that if the impeller is damaged, it will have to go to Powerdyne as Powerdyne does/will not sell the impeller. (I am not sure the turn around time with Powerdyne)

If I still used the vehicle to tow our camper I would go with the oiled unit, as would need something quite reliable, but since it's now just my dailey driver back and forth to work and errands, I can be a little tolerable of bumps in the road in lu of the cost)

Hopefully it can be rebuilt and the people at 928motosports can put a greater level of durability in the unit.

I was thinking of making some type of heat wrap for the unit that would warm it when it gets very cold. I don't think that would be too difficult of a project.
It has still been dropping to the single digits every night here. (Maybe it is time to move south LOL)

Well, I received my SC back from 928motorsports today, I went with the race rebuild for a whopping $695 (ya, ouch) but I figured the unit is off the truck, it is in a repuable shop, ought to spend the extra. Should last longer between rebuilds.

Should give me a wee bit more boost, with the smaller pully, I am now hoping for 10psi.

*Turnaround time from door to door was a week, very impressed.

Back