Supercharger. How many miles are too high to add this to a OHV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger. How many miles are too high to add this to a OHV?

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
My friend and I are wondering how many miles are too much to start the addition. He has a 97 Ranger OHV and I have the 95 Ex. OHV. We both have about 80K miles and we are wondering if this mileage is too high for this mod.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on how the motors are running. I'd say to rebuild the motors though; or at least tear it down and inspect. The s/c is hard on the motor and you want everything right.

I think the best way to determine is to do a a few tests. Make sure the engine pulls the correct vacuum and passes a compression test with no problems. When I hydrolocked my motor with 80K miles on my 95, the mechanic who opened it up told me that it appeared to be in great condition and burned no oil at all.

I would do the tests that Jason 25 or ALEC suggests. A seven year-old vehicle better be running like a freakin top before dropping that kind of cash into it. I would pass if it were me.

my best freind put his vortech on at 80,000 miles and it goes 14.40. p.s. it now has 95,000 miles and is getting a stroker motor soon.

All things Considered...

Well yes. This is in the infant stage as of yet. Both motors are in fact running 'like a top' and very stroing. Both have run synthetic for some time.

I guess anyone can justify leaing to either side.

Pros: You have all the goodies for a stout 4.0L even if it does take a dump. Then rebuild it and cam it.

I mean if there is that much of a sunk cost in the S/C and exhaust and all that jazz then you are just that much further ahead when the motor dies. Then you just rebuild rather than starting from scratch with a 5.0.

Cons: Could make the motor take a dump prematurely. Tires, tickets and broken parts. Not to mention a tranny being left somewhere far far away.

I was just curious if anyone has put a S/C on a motor with over 60K.

not a 4.0, but... when i get my charger i will have almost 100k on my stock 5.0. im not worried. if it takes a premature dump, then i'll stuff in a better short block with some forged pistons. if the motor has good compression, and uses no oil, then dont worry. be more concered with the tranny... i would have as many coolers on that thing as i could fit. and a good shift kit.

Thanks for the feedback. I will let you know when I have a money tree and get the gharger.

Thanks.

why not drop a bigger engine in if your gonna spend that kinda cash? then you should have no problem putting in a blower when you want to.

Well that is the dilema. Yes you could go to a bigger motor, though that is a lot a $$ all at once. On the other hand building up a motor over years spreads that cost over a longer time frame.

Then, this is the tricky part, what you have is a large "sunk cost" in the 4.0L motor, which all business professors will tell you "dont make future decesions based upon things (money spent) in the past". Though my truck is not a business..haha

So yes I would love to drop a 351 in there but that means mondo work. On the other hand keeping the 4.0 you can make mods in time, not having the huge cost of new everything under the hood and drivetrain.

Just my 2 cents.

Back