Supercharger install 9+lb boost! Full build | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger install 9+lb boost! Full build

Are you hearing any detonation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent, more timing is great when it's safe. What was the old knock sensor, OEM, how many miles did it see?
Old one was the original Bosch
I replaced it with one from the dealer which is also the exact same one numbers on it and all
The old one seen like 350k and two motors

Are you hearing any detonation?
Not at all it runs smoothly more. if that makes sense
Especially in the mid range throttle say 50 miles an hour it just feels better

She noticed it not me lol

If you don't hear detonation then all is probably good. If it was pinging then you would notice it or see the damage from it if it was bad enough. I guess knock sensors have a functional life span. I learned something new today. Also, there's nothing like getting cheap, easy horsepower. :thumbsup:

Look at the pic above
The wires were bare after Separating them I tested it with my multi meter and it does work but the new 1 works better I guess
I think radiator fluid may contribute to the wiring being corroded it is in the valley of the motor and this motor Has coolant issues

received_545661427304208.jpeg

The degraded wiring probably added resistance, and shifted its reading. Sounds like it must have drifted in retard.

The degraded wiring probably added resistance, and shifted its reading. Sounds like it must have drifted in retard.
drifted in retard
I'm not sure what that means
I do understand knocking and pinging
I know what it sounds like this it did it in the tuning process.
Kind of sounds like a tick

drifted in retard
i think he meant that it instead of advancing timing it retarded timing when the resistance increased? not sure

I believe that knock sensors work in an on/off state and don't have variation in the signal it sends to the ECM. Its function is to sense detonation (i.e. a noise) and then respond with a signal. I don't think that the signal sent varies but is the same at all times. My limited knowledge on this pushes me to think that as long as the wiring has good continuity the signal makes it to the ECM.

If the wires were shorting out and a signal wasn't being sent to the computer then I think the detonation would have destroyed the engine or pinging would have been heard. I lean toward the sensor being too sensitive and was falsely "hearing" detonation when there was none. It was making the computer pull timing to deal with a condition that did not exist. If I could choose how the knock sensor would fail it would be in this manner because it keeps the engine from being destroyed. Don might have had the car gods on his side with this one.

drifted in retard
To me it sounds more like a rattle.

I believe that knock sensors work in an on/off state and don't have variation in the signal it sends to the ECM. Its function is to sense detonation (i.e. a noise) and then respond with a signal. I don't think that the signal sent varies but is the same at all times. My limited knowledge on this pushes me to think that as long as the wiring has good continuity the signal makes it to the ECM.

If the wires were shorting out and a signal wasn't being sent to the computer then I think the detonation would have destroyed the engine or pinging would have been heard. I lean toward the sensor being too sensitive and was falsely "hearing" detonation when there was none. It was making the computer pull timing to deal with a condition that did not exist. If I could choose how the knock sensor would fail it would be in this manner because it keeps the engine from being destroyed. Don might have had the car gods on his side with this one.

Yes, something with the old sensor was causing the PCM to reduce timing more, the bare wires and coolant present is likely what made that happen. Enjoy it running better than ever now, and datalog it to make a record of what the timing curve should be.

Knock sensors create an AC signal, and the worse the knock vibration is the higher the voltage and frequency will be.
You can find lab scope pictures of them with a google search. You can measure the knock sensor output with a lab scope but also a voltmeter set to the AC scale.

Knock sensors create an AC signal, and the worse the knock vibration is the higher the voltage and frequency will be.
You can find lab scope pictures of them with a google search. You can measure the knock sensor output with a lab scope but also a voltmeter set to the AC scale.
I see
some voltage was still getting through so it still kind of worked

She just drove it across NC to ECU and back
She said its running great so that's nice

So, have you reached "Ludicrous Speed"?????

Ha, power found in a sensor is great! Fun stuff

Building me a air box

Stay tuned I Will
Post pictures soon

Getting all the air through inside the fender
Oh boy !!

Building me a air box

Stay tuned I Will
Post pictures soon

Oh boy !!
I had to laugh a little when I read your post. I thought "get some easy horsepower with a knock sensor swap and you have to go for a little more." Been there and done that... a lot of times. 🙂

Building me a air box

Stay tuned I Will
Post pictures soon

Oh boy !!

I look forward to what you build.

I got a large air filter from Amsoil which is almost as big as the OEM air cleaner. I'm not sure there is enough space to build a box around it. Maybe I can cut out a large square section of the fender next to the OEM air cleaner.:popcorn:

its air box week! The 07 does not need a MAS so I am looking at aftermarket air intakes, I see some promising airbox setups made for Jeeps...............shhhhhhhhhhhh

Why not make your own? The Volant was the only decent one made for the older Explorers, I put one in my 99. I'm thinking maybe a similar design could work, a basic box without a top, and make a nice top to cover it.

Volant 19640 Explorer air cleaner.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my searching, I found a bunch of intake air boxes available, but did not want to pay their price - K&N, Volant, Airaid, Spectre to name a few.

My filter is running clean pulling from the fender, but I did have to make sure the fender was sealed where it could pull in road grime, water and dust. I had more sealing to complete as I mixed the Ranger Edge Fenders with the X. I still need to insulate my air box, but it's working well.

Back