supercharger is installed!!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharger is installed!!!

Oh ok...lol Sorry I know the engines on 4th gens are a pia so i wasnt sure if you knew somethign else i didnt. yea the mustang and explorer engines are pretty much the same and there are a couple kits for the mustang out there. But i dont want a centrifugal(sp?) type.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i think you have the exact same engine as the OP, this is a root/screw type he used the RPcaster kit, it is very do-able quite a few people have boosted their 4.0s

I wanna offroad as well. I was toying around with turbo's. Just some small ones so boost kicks in early. But you think charging is easier/ less damage to it due to water mud etc???

i think itd be cheaper to supercharge it, there is always the STS kits, and ive trucks that have had the sts filters caked in mud and it still works just fine... from what i understand using a s/c ups your HP by ~50% so if youve got... say... 180HP to the wheels and you s/c you now have what 270?? not really worth it to me for the money id rather buy a v8 and already have 270+ so if you s/c that you got 405 ALOT more bang for the buck.... just my thoughts

I wouldnt know where to begin with dropping in a v8 in a 07 with all the wiring and stuff. Im sure i could do it but I only have 40k on the motor. Kinda a waste to yank it out now. I think i would rather charge it now then when the motor dies or at least gets outta my extended warranty yank it out drop the v8 and kjeep the charger for the v8.

well a v8 swap take a lot of cash too, if you want power just get a cheap vehicle w a v8 already in it is what i was sayin. or if you want a v8 eX sel ur v6 and buy a v8

I wouldnt know where to begin with dropping in a v8 in a 07 with all the wiring and stuff. Im sure i could do it but I only have 40k on the motor. Kinda a waste to yank it out now. I think i would rather charge it now then when the motor dies or at least gets outta my extended warranty yank it out drop the v8 and kjeep the charger for the v8.

Renzay I suggest just supercharging your 4.0 SOHC. You will probably be more than happy with the results. There will be a few items to adapt such as your throttle by wire throttle-body but it is minor when compared to the big picture. I am a big turbo guy but in an offroader you will get better usage from a roots tye of supercharger such as the Eaton M90 based RPCaster kit or if you can get your hands on a Explorer Express M90S kit too. There are a few Eaton based kits offered for the 2005+ Mustang V6's that you will be able to use with your truck with a little customization. As you said, there is no real reason to go through the process of swapping to a V8 especially in a truck as new as an 07 model year. Good luck.

I never said anything about swapping a V8 in your explorer, but suggested just getting a V8 powered vehicle to start with, if you wanna put down alot of power. Its always cool to see somebody boost a v6 but with a forced induction v6 your right at about the same power as a stock v8... just sayin. If you just gotta do it then do it! Its bad ass. Just my .02 cents

I would say either way, if you sold the vehicle and got a V8 or did a supercharger swap, you will be happy. It also depends on what kind of power band you are looking for.

I would like a v8 x but i got mine for a really amazing price and I love my truck and have done alot of work to it and dont wanna get rid of it. The only way im getting a larger engine is if 1 my engine dies or x gets so old i dont care or 2 I buy another x, which funds are deff not there yet...lol

yea ill prob supercharge my x in the future. Trying to buy a house so this isnt going to happen soon i just want to get as much info as possible and maybe start piecing the kit together so when i get full funds and time i can throw it all together. But i prob want around 8psi through the engine. Ive heard that the stock engines can handle it rear end i think is another story. But ill cross that bridge when i come to it. Ill look into the explorer express m90s kits and see whats there and i think rpcaster is making a kit for the eaton m90 for the 4th gens. I just emailed him and he is working on a prototype. Havent gotten any extra info yet. But ill keep everyone updated.

Its always cool to see somebody boost a v6 but with a forced induction v6 your right at about the same power as a stock v8...

You would be wrong in that statement.

I would like a v8 x but i got mine for a really amazing price and I love my truck and have done alot of work to it and dont wanna get rid of it. The only way im getting a larger engine is if 1 my engine dies or x gets so old i dont care or 2 I buy another x, which funds are deff not there yet...lol

yea ill prob supercharge my x in the future. Trying to buy a house so this isnt going to happen soon i just want to get as much info as possible and maybe start piecing the kit together so when i get full funds and time i can throw it all together. But i prob want around 8psi through the engine. Ive heard that the stock engines can handle it rear end i think is another story. But ill cross that bridge when i come to it. Ill look into the explorer express m90s kits and see whats there and i think rpcaster is making a kit for the eaton m90 for the 4th gens. I just emailed him and he is working on a prototype. Havent gotten any extra info yet. But ill keep everyone updated.

No worries AT ALL about the rear end. These rear ends have taken WAAAY more power than a supercharged SOHC V6 on 8 psi can ever make.

This is my last post in this tread because it is way off subject now and i dont feel like arguing.
Mod for mod a v8 will win everytime.
You would be wrong in that statement.
Even if its alittle over a stock 8cyl power I dont see the time and money spent, other than to say you have a fast v6.
Thats all im saying, Im not trying to tell the guy, dont do it, im just trying to give him other options.

My buddy has an 02 mustang he spent 1500 on the car and another 1500 to s/c it, its making 405RWHP. So $3000 and he has another car he can drive with 400+HP, Spend $3000 on your 4.0L and you got the s/c, kit, and gas money... still with only one vehicle....

Now you can say whatever you want but im out of this tread now..

This is my last post in this tread because it is way off subject now and i dont feel like arguing.
Mod for mod a v8 will win everytime.

Even if its alittle over a stock 8cyl power I dont see the time and money spent, other than to say you have a fast v6.
Thats all im saying, Im not trying to tell the guy, dont do it, im just trying to give him other options.

My buddy has an 02 mustang he spent 1500 on the car and another 1500 to s/c it, its making 405RWHP. So $3000 and he has another car he can drive with 400+HP, Spend $3000 on your 4.0L and you got the s/c, kit, and gas money... still with only one vehicle....

Now you can say whatever you want but im out of this tread now..

I totally agree that mod for mod the 4.6 SOHC V8 will win every time when going up against the 4.0 SOHC V6. There is no argument going on here, just a simple discussion.

The stock 2v 4.6's found in the 02-05 X had 239hp while the 3v 4.6's in the 06-10 Explorers had 292hp. You can make as much hp at the rear wheels with a properly tuned supercharged 4.0 V6 Explorer. That is a significant power advantage, and we are only talking about peak numbers. Start looking at averaged power and torque across the rev range and the supercharged 4.0 V6 shines a bit more.

Dude I have pretty much been the "resident V8 guy" here for a while now so don't think I am slighting them. I like the 4.6 in my Explorer and have built quite a few of them in Mustangs as well; ranging from N/A to supercharged, wet nozzle nitrous, custom direct ports, etc. I have allot of respect for the 4.6 2v, 3v, and 4v engines but with that said I have to resort to the facts. The fact of the matter is that a stock 4.6 2v or 3v V8 in the 02-10 Explorers will not perform as well as a supercharged 4.0 V6 will. Start modding the V8 and things change drastically.

Yes, both selling the current vehicle to buy a V8 X or supercharging his current 4.0 V6 are both viable options. I am not here to debate that. Just the perpetuation of the claims that a supercharged 4.0 V6 will not make as much power or torque as a stock 4.6 V8.

Your buddy must have gotten a good deal on that 02 Mustang GT because $1,500 is CHEAP! Most in decent condition will cost a little more than that. I understand where you are coming from here but you are placing yours and your friends values upon this other guy. Maybe he doesn't give a **** about having a 400rwhp Mustang; maybe he does. That is not the topic at hand. Let's keep it on topic.

I will say to renzay that one item that may factor into your plans is that while the supercharged 4.0 V6 will surpass the power/torque of a stock 4.6 V8 in the other X's it will soon meet its limit afterwards. The 4.6 will make more power mod for mod and will also be able to hold more power before breaking. So if you think you may end up wanting to go much past 350rwhp then I would suggest you ponder getting the V8.

Hey guys i just wanna thank you for all your ideas. I kinda liike the arguments or discussions. Thats kinda the way i like to operate. People throwin all their knowledge together. Its quite interesting. But thank you again. I woul dlike to be around 350-400 rwhp. With some work i think i could squeeze it out. Im thinking about going to the eaton m112. Not too expensive and i think i could work out all the bugs between me and my buddy. Again this wont be happening any time soon just cuz im buying a house so this has to be put on the back burner... for now. But I just want to get all the info as possible.

So a supercahrged 4.0L v6 expy is going into effect. Any good names for my x? Havent decided on one yet.

this thread hot taken way off path. I would like to hear from the guy who did this to his truck. How did you like it? still good gas milage? Any problems with it after words?

the thread was started in 08..... doubt hes still around

still haven't got it tuned yet. She is hitting around 8 pounds daily with no problems so, I have been in to much of a hurry about it.

To beat an old thread,i find this very hard to believe!someone else said they was running a m90 with stock pulley(3psi) and also didn't tune.i thought a tune was a must for FI,is there a safe limit that you can run on stock tune?

To beat an old thread,i find this very hard to believe!someone else said they was running a m90 with stock pulley(3psi) and also didn't tune.i thought a tune was a must for FI,is there a safe limit that you can run on stock tune?

Its not possible, the air to fuel ratio is off even if you install larger injectors you will also need a larger/faster fuel pump. A tune is needed otherwise you are gonna damage the motor if it will even start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Then how was he even driving around in this?

Back