• Register Today It's free!

SUPERCHARGER!

drew22

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
I talked with BBK today and they told me that their superchargers are all ready to go except that they are waiting for one of their suppliers to provide them with some mounting brackets. So hopefully they will be out soon (that is if they are telling the truth). If anyone is wondering, the supercharger is only for the OHV V6 in 95' and up explorers.

Later on,

Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks!('95+)

What about all of us with 91-94's????

Drew - Good luck with getting your charger installed. Can't wait to see the results! :)

JonM

WHAT! No BBK for the 94!!!! AGHGHGH!!!!

I heard they were having problems the the early explorers... So I guess they just didnt include them on all the reindeer games. That blows! I was saving for one of those!! I really didnt want to hassle with a Vortech...

I just checked their site.. and according to that it says 4.0L 87-97... I wonder if thats still true...

Ive been thinking about how my life would be without a BBK supercharger.. Im getting very depressed.... I think Im going to go eat ice cream and watch some soaps.

Who needs to Spend $2700 on a supercharger?

Not me. Read how I got 250Hp from 160HP in a '96 Explorer 4.0L for $1000.

Where??

Would love to read about it... where is the info??

JonM

Modified Explorations

Have a look , the info is under the group modified explorations

Sorry

Sorry, I was wrong about the year explorer that the blower will bolt onto. Looks like it will work on the older ones.

Peace out,

Drew

<HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF!!!!> Heheh.. thats good.

Not to rain on anyones parade, but a supercharger for a 91-94 seems like a waste to me. If you think about it, any Explorer that old is going to have 100k+ miles(general assumption here)... If you put a supercharger on there, you're likely to blow something up, not to mention the cost $3000(not including the install).

It seems to me that it would make more sense(this is what I 'm in the process of doing by the way) to upgrade the intake of your engine(open-air intake, larger mass air, throttle body), the electrics(plugs, wires, and ignition system), and the exhaust(muffler, cat, and headers), then when you have the money get your engine rebuilt. Sure it's expensive, but you could get everything souped up to your desire.

So which sounds better... A 250hp Explorer with 100K on it's engine, or a 250hp Explorer with 15 miles, since thats how muchyou put on, on the way home from the mechanics. Oh, and another bad part of a supercharger is that they need to be rebuilt every 100K, so that's another $3000.

Mat

Well... so do engines aparently! Heh. Im thinking about the supercharger to go with the rest of my upgrades (which includes new cylinder heads and lifters and Ill be putting on new bolts and gaskets...) Plus, this supercharger, from what I hear is supposed to be somewhat of an OEM model. I heard that it was acually designed by Ford, and sold to BBK when they decided not to include it as an option on their explorers. Of course thats just what I picked up somewhere. oh well. The BBK still isnt even available! Yeesh, they slow!

nick

Any idea what year behicles the BBK will work on? Late model, but up until which year?

Also, do you know if BBK has a web site? I couldn't find one when I was searching around.

Take care!

Joseph

just a few things

First off the BBK supercharger is a root stlye blower that provides 6 psi of boost. Secondly, Flyguy, are you the one that installed the heads that increased your compression from 9:1 to about 10:1? The reason that I ask this is because it can be sometimes dangerous to put a supercharger on a engine that has a compression of 10:1 or higher. The 4.0L V6 engine is no high preformance engine and if the compresion is raised too high you can blow the engine. I am not trying to scare anyone away from getting the supercharger, personally I like them and I have one ordered. Just it would really suck to blow engine after you put in about 3,500 in mods. Lastly, I am not trying to start an arguement, but I am not to sure where the idea of having to rebiuld a blower every 100k came from. Blowers have relatively few moving parts and should not wear that much. If you look hard enough you can find blowers from the 50's that if you replace a few bearings and gaskets, should still work as good as they did back in the 50's.

Later on,

Drew

I didnt think they needed much maintenence... Although I heard somewhere that the Vortechs did... I dunno though. I was wondering that as well... about blowing the engine that is... I hear that there are things you can do to push the engine more... but Im no mechanic. I thought I read something on Vanir about getting parts that allowed higher RPM's and all that. Im not sure if its true or not. Also, I thought I heard of someone on here with a 325HP Explorer. Has anyone noticed how I type? Its not complete and skips around in thought.. heh. sorry guys. I am the one doing the cylinder heads... they are the late model for heads that Im putting on my 94. I hope I dont break anything! :) I had plans for a new Cam and a larger MAS as well as the supercharger... Then I would be complete... as long as I dont blow up. So do you really think adding the BBK supercharger would be pushing it? Hmmm

nick

I've heard from a few mechanics I know that many superchargers need to be rebuilt sometimes... Of course at the time I was talking about Vortech stuff, which I have heard is crap, so it may be different with BBK... Then again I could just be talking out of my ass.

It's to bad superchargers are so much money, it would be very nice to have one

Mat

Dont worry.. most of us prefer to talk out our *****. With all the money I have spent on my car I could of had the supercharger by now.. Its just having that 3 grand at one time thats the problem!

Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regarding supercharger info:

I have had 4 different superchargers (2 vortechs, 1 ATI and one Powerdyne) on 2 different Mustangs. I am having a Vortech installed on my second vehicle in the next week or two. There is very little maintenance that needs to be done on any of these superchargers. The only reasons the vortechs, ATIs, or any other blower that runs with an external lubrication system [read: taps the oil pan for oil return and the oil pressure sending unit to get oil into the SC] break is because the oil doesn't properly lubricate the internal gears.

This is the case for about 80-100k. Beyond that, the internal belts, gears, etc... wear out and need replacement.

I like the powerdyne / BBK / Kenne Bell / paxton / new vortech blowers because they have internal lubrication. Paxton's require that you change the gear oil regularly, but all the others don't require any maintenance at all. Even the new Vortechs don't require that you tap the oil pan for lubrication.

I love the whipple / positive displacement blowers because you don't need to wind the engine all the way up the RPM range to get the power. With my vortechs, power doesn't start coming on until 2800rpm. At 3000 rpm you have 2 lbs of boost when at 6000rpm you have full boost (~6-8lb).

The whipples / positive displacement blowers are full boost at 2000rpm. Much more fun, though they tend to get spanked in the quarter mile races.

Just rambling here. If you have any questions on superchargers in general, feel free to send them my way.

Take care!

Joseph

2001 Explorer Sport with nothing
1999 Viper RT/10 that can spank anything on the road [and will be even faster with a Vortech]

Back