• Register Today It's free!

Supercharging Questions??

stsmoker

Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLS
So I'm a little new to the whole supercharging thing. I've recently heard of Ron's Supercharger Kit that uses the M90 blower. Where can i find this kit? If I were to get this kit...Would I need to upgrade anything like the fuel system? And with this kit will i still be able to use cruise control? And (sorry for all the questions lol) but is this kit pretty simple to install..pretty much bolt-on? Anndddd if i were to get a tuner (SCT) could I get tunes to accomodate the supercharger? Again sorry for all the questions =P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rons supercharger kit? where is this? i have my kenne bell that will be goin on one of my mountaineers buy im looking for another supercharger for the other

I know about the explorer express...but its like 5k and i dont have that kinda money =P
is there another supercharging kit that im not aware of?

If you have a 4.6 you can get a Tork Tech setup. I think they might have a 4.0 kit for the Mustang 4.0.

If you have the 4.6L v8 in your Explorer or Mountaineer, you can use just about any Supercharger or Turbokit from a 99-02 Mustang GT.

They used to have that Allen supercharger kit for the Explorers and Mountys and Expeditions....and a couple other trucks too......but they went outta business.........which SUCKS, because it didn't cost that much and would have been AWESOME.

But like I said, the easiest way I know is to get a m90 style supercharger kit from a 99-02 mustang GT, and adapt it to yer exploder or mounty.....
You WILL have alittle custom fab work...mainly for clearance reasons,etc....but its not THAT hard......supposedely anyone with basic mechanical knowledge can do it...(wrenchwork,cutting,drilling, maybe welding, measuring...etc.)

Because the 99-02 mustangs got alot more room in front of the engine....where-as the explorers/mountys have almost NONE....but they have ALOT of overhead room.
So you have to adapt the supercharger kit alittle bit to fit a slightly different clearance area.....

Supposedely you can fit a normal Centrifugal Supercharger kit(vortech,ATI procharger,paxton) to the Exploders and Mountys....but i dont see how it could fit! But i've never had that style of supercharger before......i've only used a m90 supercharger on my mustang.
Usually the centrifugals fit in front and to the side of the engine...however there simply doesnt appear to be any room for that...plus Piping....maybe im wrong, maybe with an A/C Delete or delete some plastic or accesories it will fit.......who knows.

Yeah i wish i woulda got the v8..but i have the 6 =(

Yeah i wish i woulda got the v8..but i have the 6 =(

Yikes...never fear.

I believe one of the posters above is correct, i think there is a mustang supercharger kit that will fit your truck.........ACTUALLY i thought there was a supercharger or turbo kit SPECIFICALLY for the v6 exploders????

The v6 may actually be easier to get a S/C kit for than the v8....wont make as much power as a v8 supercharged engine obviously....but it would still HAUL ASS.

I got an old 3.8L v6...trust me, those things can kick ass with a supercharger or one of Andys turbo kits...blow stock v8's in the dust easily.

I have an 05 Explorer 4.6 v8 Eddie Bauer and I am also intrested in putting a supercharger in my explorer. So a 99-02 engine from a mustang gt are the same as mine. Do you guys know the difference is in both of them?

if you go with a roots style supercharger, installation would be as easy as a mustang alternator(offset different than the explorers), essentialy a manifold swap(easy as well...i can get mine off in about 30 minutes), and a custom intake pipe...its all about the money, good bets for the gen 3 v8 explorers are the Ken bels, and the saleen superchargers...there is currently NO KIT MADE TO FIT THE EXPLORER...there will be some custom work involved...nothing to serious though....as i tend to warn everyone...these engines cylenderheads do not like to deal with above factory power specs...just this last year with only full bolt ons and roughly 300 at teh wheels...ive shot 3 spark plugs...so if your supercharging you might want to invest in some aftermarket heads w/ anti-blow out inserts...also, the 5r55w does not like to hold more than 400 for long...or so i have been told.

if i had to guess, id say the price of supercharging an explorer(a full upgrade w/ injectors, fuel pump, fuel pump computer, tune, alternator, supercharger)would be around $6500-7250...and that is not including labor...there are also mods that need to be done before(mainly free flowing exhaust(headers and a catback system) and at least a K&N intake prefferably with at least a 70mm throttle body).

i plan on installing my supercharger this summer...im going with a kenne bell...its going to be awesome ^.^

Jesus, it's almost more than putting twin turbos on my 96 cobra. Its mostly for everyday use to work and home every week but I also use it to tow. I guess I am going to have to think about it really good before I do it. :(
I am gonna start thinking about getting better heads for it though. Don't want any plugs popping out.:roll:

save up and convince the misses ^_^ its what i had to do...i have no doubt that you could run a mild supercharger setup (stock boost aroung 5-6psi) at about 350ish Hp and not have to much of a problem...a saleen roots blower would run you 5.5g on the internet, you should go with some after market injectors(30# is probably a little overkill, you would be fine with stock fule rails, and unless you got into the higher boost, you wouldnt need to upgrade to a higher cap fuel pump and higher amp fuel driver...main things are the Cold air intake, the exhaust, and the tuner need to be aquired before you get started, do some thinking / convincing and let us know.

if you go with a roots style supercharger, installation would be as easy as a mustang alternator(offset different than the explorers), essentialy a manifold swap(easy as well...i can get mine off in about 30 minutes), and a custom intake pipe...its all about the money, good bets for the gen 3 v8 explorers are the Ken bels, and the saleen superchargers...there is currently NO KIT MADE TO FIT THE EXPLORER...there will be some custom work involved...nothing to serious though....as i tend to warn everyone...these engines cylenderheads do not like to deal with above factory power specs...just this last year with only full bolt ons and roughly 300 at the wheels...ive shot 3 spark plugs...so if your supercharging you might want to invest in some aftermarket heads w/ anti-blow out inserts...also, the 5r55w does not like to hold more than 400 for long...or so i have been told.

if i had to guess, id say the price of supercharging an explorer(a full upgrade w/ injectors, fuel pump, fuel pump computer, tune, alternator, supercharger)would be around $6500-7250...and that is not including labor...there are also mods that need to be done before(mainly free flowing exhaust(headers and a catback system) and at least a K&N intake prefferably with at least a 70mm throttle body).

i plan on installing my supercharger this summer...im going with a kenne bell...its going to be awesome ^.^

The power and firing out plugs aren't related. My navigator blew a plug a few years back, and I just put a new plug in it and drove on. Then I added a powerdyne pushing 8psi and got to about 400fwhp. It blew that plug that i had just replaced with another out again, and I tapped and put in a thread cert. I pushed it to 6400 rpm several times, never lost another plug in 30k miles. I did blower, liquid to air intercooler, 42# injectors 90mm MAF and so forth and in the end, I had about $3000 in it total. You just have to be patient in buying decent used parts!

thats actualy good to know...maybe i just have lemon heads(lol no pun intended...or was it...), or maybe it was because i was using Bosch plugs...either way im glad that its not the heads...you supercharged to over 400 for less than 3 grand? jesus....wish i was so patient...

Back