Superduty axles. SAS?

DocVijay

Meow
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
Is it possible to use axles from a late model Superduty to do an SAS on an X? How much wider are they,and what about he spring mounts, etc. Do they HAVE to be shortened? I did a search but dind't find very much on it. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they will have to be shortened... but i wouldnt use them.... they were somewhat of oddball axles..... go for something you know will work better..... it is possible, but probably not worth it..... superdutys are a lot bigger than an explorer

at one time, there was a ford f150 superduty.... had 3/4 ton running gear, and 7 lugs! wierd ass axle.....

Thanks. I was driving by a salvage yard today and saw what looke like a really new Superduty there. Not too sure, as it was kinda totalled. Rollover I'm guessing, since the top was flat and the bottom wasn't. Anyhow, seems like it'll be more trouble than it's worth.

There are plenty of people that run full width axles under there explorers so it can be done without narrowing them. They do have a few things to consider though. Some use a dana 50 front instead of a 60. forget what came with what but check that out. Thay also ave a 8 on 170mm or something like that boltpattern instead of the like the older ones that are 8 on 6.5 I believe. Some if not all the new axles have a sealed wheelbearing design that can get weak with big tires. Granded under an explorer it probably wouldnt be as bad sence it wont weigh as much. Not sure about spring width though. I cant see how they would be that much harder then using anyother solid axle. Still need to mess with brackets springs steering etc...

Matt

they only need to be shortened if it's a DD and you have laws against tires sticking outside the fenders :rolleyes:
I doubt even fender flares would help..
and yeah.. spring perches would of course have to be moved.
I would guess a SD axle is around 10" wider or so.. I'm just guessing though :D

jimabena74-
what do you mean by odd ball axles? thanks

Originally posted by greengeeker
jimabena74-
what do you mean by odd ball axles? thanks

I'll get this one for you Jim.

When Ford came out with the Super Duty in '99 they started a whole new era of axle design. Gone is the old tried and true servicable wheel bearings. In their place is a VERY expensive sealed wheel bearing unit. On top of that, some SD's were equipped with vacuum accuated hubs (they could be manually locked or vacuum opperated). The new axles love to eat ball joints and brakes. All '99-'01 F-250's (except duallys) have Dana 50's in the front and Sterling 10 1/4's in the rear. Not untill '02 was the front Dana 60 available under a non-dually F-250. The other major factor is weight. The new axles are extreemly bulky and weigh a ton.

mrboyle, Our '01 single-wheel F350 has a Dana 60 front. I could go get some measurements if someone needs them.

jimabena74, you can still get the 7 lug F150. This 7 lug pattern comes with the 7700# package. This package used to be the light duty F250. They are IFS.

All of the SuperDuty Fords come with Sterling 10.5" rear ends. The Sterling 10.25" was used in earlier 3/4-1 ton axles.

The D50 solid axle is basically a D44 ring and pinion with D44 sized inner axleshafts at the carrier with D60 outters.

The sealed bearings are a problem. Dynatrac makes a kit to swap to real bearings.

You can run full width axles if you like, but check with local laws first to see what the coverage requirements are. Some states (like here) don't have any coverage (flares, mudflaps, etc) whatsoever.

The front is better than a D44, but worse than a D60. The rear is stronger than a rear D60, but a lot heavier.

Unless they are selling both cheap, I'd pass.

Originally posted by CoryL
All of the SuperDuty Fords come with Sterling 10.5" rear ends. The Sterling 10.25" was used in earlier 3/4-1 ton axles.

The D50 solid axle is basically a D44 ring and pinion with D44 sized inner axleshafts at the carrier with D60 outters.

The sealed bearings are a problem. Dynatrac makes a kit to swap to real bearings.

You can run full width axles if you like, but check with local laws first to see what the coverage requirements are. Some states (like here) don't have any coverage (flares, mudflaps, etc) whatsoever.

The front is better than a D44, but worse than a D60. The rear is stronger than a rear D60, but a lot heavier.

Unless they are selling both cheap, I'd pass.

Thanks. I'm going to try and stop by to see exactly what year/model it was and how much they are asking for the axles.

Throw the Super Duty axles under there.. and instead of shortening them.. just widen your Explorer!

A guy had a Cherokee that was widened down by me when I lived in L.A. It looked like a Hummer. Pretty sweet. :D

Attachments

• widen.jpg
    widen.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 874

Originally posted by justin146
mrboyle, Our '01 single-wheel F350 has a Dana 60 front.

Your correct, you can get the 60 under a F-350, not until '02 could you get it under the F-250.

Back