sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Superlift Install Tips (Pics are UP)

Wel yesterday we began my superlift 5.5" install. I ordered the kit from rockey mountain suspension, with new shocks. I got extended brakelines and all other parts needed or so i thought. Im hoping to shed some light on superlift install issues, and all that stuff.

A day before i hit everything numerous times with a rust penetrator called PB, it worked really well. Then i pressurewashed everything and PB'ed it again. We started as per the superlift instructions disconnecting things, ext at 11am sunday morning.. Radius arm brackets were first, luckily mine we already bolted, instead of riveting. If you want to save some time then i reccomend replacing the rivets with bolts sometime before you start the install, its quick and painless and will enable you to complete the install in less time (good if its a daily driver)

Then we took out the axle piviot bolts and began grinding the rivets on the axle brackets. Superlift says to do one at a time, but if you take both off and drop them down its soooo much easier to get in there with a grinder. Now there are many ways to take the rivets but we ground the heads off on some and punched them out with an air chisel, the others we knocked off with an air chisel, it took some effort, but they came out.

Then its time for the coils and shocks, and honestly if you dont plan on using them or selling them for a god amount of money, just cut the shocks out and save yourself the time. Now here is where we screwed ourselves, IF YOU HAVE F-150 COIL SEATS, GET STOCK ONES to use with the superlift kit. You will NEVER get it aligned otherwise. Somewhere in here go ahead with the brakelines and get them installed. Install shocks and springs, j-clips, ect. Dont forget the pitman arm, definatly get a pitman arm puller, its cheap and i had the arms changed in under 3 min. Then bolt on the brackets like the instructions say. And put it all back together. There you have it, your new front end.

Moving to the rear, disconnect driveshaft, brakelines, parking brake cable, shackle (only one per side, as long as it same two dosent matter which one), shocks, swaybars. At this point you can remove your swaybar mounts caus for some reason if you are using the superlift supplied rear end kit it will not work with your swaybars. Then again you may be able to make it work, every exploder is different. Them roll out axle, and reinstall leafs, then position axle and mount with supplier ubolt kit, or weld you own perches on. I used the superlift kit and am going to weld them on later. now you can reuse you stock shocks or use new ones, whatever you prefer. Bolt it back up as the instructions say, careful not to over torque the ubolt nuts. Now when installing a new rear brake line BE CAREFUL. Breaking one (linds) is a real day killer, but its not hard to find another, unless its 10pm in pottstown on a sunday. Anyway, after youg et everything reconnected, (the parking brake cable may not be long enough, still working on a solution to that) its time to bleed the brakes. Again becareful with the bleeders, shearing one off at the cylinder is a real pita (me) and trying to find another at midnight is impossible. Bleed the brakes, put the tires back on, and you are done!

3-4 people can do this in a day, as long as they have some idea what is going on and things go smoothly. We could of done it in about 14 hours total if we would of had coil seats and hadnt ficked up the brakes twice. If you havet aligned it already, DO SO ASAP. It is scary driving even a very short way very slowly.

Well, there you have it. Pics to come soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why did you put new rear brake lines on?

fun job huh? I didn't detach my rear leaf springs, mostly because I couldn't get the bolt loose on the shackle.

I'd say get your perches welded asap. My rear end rotated, and they'd been tack welded incase I needed to adjust pinion angle...just broke the welds.

I have the same lift, minus the body lift and spacers. I can clear my 33 TSL's without any real problem, but they aren't ballanced so I run 31's on the road.

Are you gonna regear/get locked?

Where's the pics?

Great write-up. I just finaly finished up the 4" Superlift with extended arms on my heap. The rear brake lines are a real pain. I busted both hard lines that attatch to the soft line at the rear axle. At least now I know how to make hard lines :) Im glad I did the extended rear line, it looked tight with the stock line and 4", I'm sure it was really tight with your 5.5".
Nick Good

Ahh...my old truck gets a new lift. Can't wait to see it. Wish I could have helped.

Good Luck

son of a *****... every single time i get close to buying this, something comes up, my visa bill, my tuition, textbooks, birthdays.... im always $400 short and i can't seem to save that little amount... i have the rest all saved!! I mean WTF someone donate me $400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or you could just give me your 5.5 superlift :D

alright, pics are coming soon, as soon as i replace the f150 coil seats and get it aligned and replace the wheel clyinder and bleed the brakes. hopefully this will all get done tommorow night. now i plan on getting them welded asap, probably day after i get it finished. I didnt need a new brake line but i got all 3 from a friend for 20 bucks so i figured why not put some stainless steel lines in all around. I plan on going to 4.30's or 4.56's with an aussie in the rear REAL soon, like soon as i get the money which should be next week :D Chad, wish you woulda been there it was fun. I must say tho, installing a superlift top to bottom in 12 hrs is quite a task, but it can be done.

Oh, and we measured, its 82" from ground to roof :D :D :D I stand about eye level with the hood, can sit indian style under the truck (comfortably) and have to jump to close the rear hatch. Im 5'10". :p

dont you already have a 3" body lift, soo you now have 8.5" of lift

after all is said and done, it will sit pretty at 10 rear" (5.5 superlift + 3" body + 1.5" shackles) and 8.5 front (5.5 superlift and 3" body)

its gonna be huge! get pics asap

want pics.. :thumbsup: dont forget to put f150 spacers on there also

He can't align it with the spacers in on those Superlift brackets.

indeed, thats why im currently waiting to get the stock coil seats.

PM me your address. If you're home this Saturday I'll come by and take a look. I'll bring that sub box to you for free as well.

why cant you align it? other ppl have the superlift 5.5" kit with 8" skyjacker coils

If people have the Superlift 5.5 kit with 8" Skyjacker coils and it aligns their coils have sagged 2-3"

the max lift you can run on the 5.5 kit is about 6" of actual coil. the 5.5 kit will already max out your 2.75 camber shims.

So this kit you installed did not have the trans x member and radius arms I see.
I also vote for ditching the Superlift spring over brackets and just weld on the upper perches, this will also allow you to rotate the 8.8 a bit for better pinion angle.

This thread is worthless without pics :)

only reason i went with the stupidlift rear instead of the warrior perches i had was caus of the shock mounts. Im going to get them welded tho, for sure. Also no xmember or rad arms, im probably gonna get some rodended rad arms fabbed up, hopefully in time for crozet.

Make sure you follow the Superlift caster design with extended arms :) A 5.5 ift requires a certain amount of caster built in, just like the superlift arms.

where r the pics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i cant find my camera charger or id have em up, they will be here ASAP.

Back