SuperLift, Long Radius Arm, Bracket problems??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SuperLift, Long Radius Arm, Bracket problems???

4X50 Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92XLT W/'50 Ford F-1 Body
Started to install on my ’92 chassis today and already found what I am wondering if it’s a big deal…

The bracket calls for two holes drilled through the bottom and one through the side of the frame rail. The one on the side comes right through the edge of an angled brace on the inside of the frame. The bottom hole, closest to the rear, would come through so that you couldn’t get a nut onto it.

Has anyone installed this? What have you done about the bolt coming through the bottom of the frame? Is it a big deal not to use the bottom bolt with the interference issue?

The photos of the inside of the frame are not great so I am hoping that someone that has done this will understand…

Attachments

• IMG_0426 web.jpg
    IMG_0426 web.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0427 web.jpg
    IMG_0427 web.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_0428 web.jpg
    IMG_0428 web.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 779

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i havent put a set of superlift long arms on, but when i did my duff's i had to substitute some of the hardware for longer stuff to get through the stiffeners in the frame

someone with the superlifts will most likely chime in, but im not all that suprised to see interference issues

Thanks but, longer fasteners are only going to help with the hole I am pointing to in the first picture. If you look at the second picture, one of the bolts coming through the bottom of the frame will be so close to that vertical stiffener that you won't be able to get a nut on it.

I am wondering if anyone has left that bolt out or notched into that part of the stiffener to get a nut on it?

hmmm i installed mine and did not have this issue. (1st photo) as far as the stiffener is concerned i drill through it and installed all the bolts (PITA!!) But like Surreal i had to get longer bolts too for it. did not have to notch it it all.

The only "notching" i had to do was grind down that lip on the Pass frame rail by the Cat. :dunno:

Bottom holes?

hmmm i installed mine and did not have this issue. (1st photo) as far as the stiffener is concerned i drill through it and installed all the bolts (PITA!!) But like Surreal i had to get longer bolts too for it. did not have to notch it it all.

The only "notching" i had to do was grind down that lip on the Pass frame rail by the Cat. :dunno:

Did you run bolts up through the bottom of the frame using the holes in the bracket (Last Pic)? Those are the ones I am wondering about. The one I am pointing to will be too close to the vertical stiffner to get a nut on it without notching out that stiffner.

Somthing else I noticed about the install; they say the E-brake bracket needs to be relocated into a new hole but mine was built into the cab mount and is no issue because I am removing them as part of my body conversion.

Won't bolt up to axles!

I am realy hoping to hear from someone that has done this!

Haven't worked on the project for awhile so I tried to get something done yesterday. I got as far as attaching the radius arms to the axles only to find out there is a BIG PROBLEM!

1. The radius arms have been beefed up where they attach to the axle and the sway bar bracket will no longer fit!
  2. The bolt holes on the arms are about 1/2" off and will not fit to the axles.

I made sure that I have the correct arm on the correct sides (03 on DS, 04 on PS) and the short tab is on the upper part of axle. All the brute force and application of my BFH will not get the holes to line up!

Anyone else have this issue once they modified their arms so they were reinforced at the axle mounting points?

I have a call into their Tech Support but for some reason they have to look up the print to understand that the holes do not fit!!!:banghead:

At this point, I am so PO'd that I would send the complete package back if I could! The number of parts that don't fit like the instructions say and the missing nuts/bolts make this install a nightmare!

Bracket holes.

Come to find out, the kit does not call for you to use the holes in the bottom of the frame. Rather than cut the frame stiffeners out of the way of the side bolts, I added a 9/16" bolt through the bottom that didn't interfere with the stiffeners.

Now if they would call back and send me radius arms to fit...

Attachments

• radius arm brackets_web.jpg
    radius arm brackets_web.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 600

Aligning bolt holes.

This is how much the upper hole was off with the lower bolt installed and what I did to get enough ass into allinging it...

Attachments

• IMG_0880 web.jpg
    IMG_0880 web.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_0882 web.jpg
    IMG_0882 web.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 588

You ever get this done?

Please define "Done"...

You ever get this done?

I have completed the lift but the whole project is not done yet. Heck, I don't know if a 4X4 is ever done, I think you just wait for the next surge of cash...

I have a more oftenly updated thread over at, Going Up! or you can check my photo albums if you would like to see where she's at right now...

Thanks for asking...

Back