Superlift options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Superlift options

sully

Reaction score
Okay, here's a question for those that have already lifted their Exploders. I've decided that the Superlift 4 incher is my lift of choice, however there are two different options. Both are the same up front, but handle lifting the rear totally differently, and the cost is substantially different.

Option 1)For $695 you get a rear-axle relocation kit (I assume this means spring over)and you re-use the stock springs

Option 2)For $875 you get new rear leaf springs.

Has anyone had any experience with the two seperate styles? Or reccomendations as to what I should expect out of each one? My Exploder is my daily driver, however it will be used off road nearly every weekend (and not always lightly either).

I want the best compromise of safe on-road handling, and capable off-road handling, yet I'm also running a pretty tight budget. Any information or other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a bunch everyone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sully,
I purchased the 4" lift for my 91 and someone on this web site told me that the new springs were not right, that the back of my explorer would sit lower then the front. So i took their advice and called superlift and asked them about this problem they said that they were getting many calls about this problem So i sent the 4" lift back and got the 5.5" lift and i am very happy that i went with the 5.5" (with extended radius arms) many people on this site have the 5.5 and i think most would agree with me that the 5.5 superlift is a good lift.

I say if your going to lift your explorer go with the 5.5"

------------------
*91 EB *
-5.5 Superlift
-33" tires
-American racing rims
-borla hedders
-chip
-modified air box
-Gibson preformance exhaust
-4:56 gears

[This message has been edited by J91FORD (edited 04-17-2000).]

I went through the same thoughts - first 2.5", then 4", and then 6" vs. 5.5".

I settled on the 5.5", with radius arms, superrunner steering.

Why?

Well, I figured the price difference between 4, 5.5", and 6" with all of the above was about nil. The 5.5" lift re-uses the stock rear springs, and is _really_ easy to install on the back (the front is a different story) The 5.5" kit is also a spring over conversion, and the 4" and 6" kits remain a spring under axle. (SUA)

The 4" and 6" kits have new springs for the rear - and everyone I've heard that tried them, they sagged on them! (plus, they make the ride even more stiffer!)

Total cost? I'd say you can probably find it for $1200-$1500, if your willing to haggle and search around the net for it..

I'm still in the settling in phase, so I'm not totally sure how the kit will settle on my navajo.. so other opinions are needed!

------------------
Thomas Davis
93 Mazda Navajo/5.5" superlift, 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO

Just to save time check out rocky mountain suspension the superrunner 5.5" kit for 850 plus of course your choice of shocks and another 300 for the radius arms, but for the core kit including superrunner steering $850 is the cheepest i've found if you find any cheeper let me know thanks RobbieJ Xplor'n

------------------
Robbie J 1991 XLT 4x4 4.0 4-door

I've done the same thing.. was originally considering the 2.5 from James Duff just to get rid of my low-rider feeling, then decided to go nutty with the 5.5. The reason I settled on the 4 inch lift, was that I am concerned about the on road handling, I frequently do long road trips from here in Phoenix to Colorado, California, and Mexico, so the on-road safety is still important to me. (Also because if I went with the 5.5, I know I'd be wanting 33's, and then I'd need to re-gear, and my budget would explode like an atom bomb) Another concern was the drop down brackets. I know enough to know that I typically drive a little harder and faster than I should, and am prone to breaking things. The shorter drop down brackets of the 4 inch lift should be less susceptable to breakage, shouldn't they? Or are the 5.5's cosiderably beefier?
-Sully

the superlift 4" and 5.5" kit use the exact same drop brackets, just a different hole.

yup, you read it right. You buy the 4" superlift kit, you get the exact same frontend pieces as the 5.5" kit.

the big differences between the two kits is the rear. the 5.5" kit is a SOA conversion; the 4" kit is new rear springs.

That's one of the reasons why I went to 5.5" lift.

------------------
Thomas Davis
93 Mazda Navajo/5.5" superlift, 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO

I have the Superlift 4" with the extended radius arm kit (albeit on my garage floor). I'm going with a SOA in the back but will only get 4" of lift when done...

I still haven't figured out how much/what brand lift I want. I think I want a 4 to 6 inch lift. I know I want new leafs and springs. I know I want new radius arms and a new Pitman arm. I still haven't decided on which shocks either. Dead Link Removed

Good luck deciding and installing. Let us know which one you go with and how it went.

D

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
Hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and AutoLite Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, 4" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels

So let me get this straight... The front end hardware is the exact same whether it is the 4 inch or the 5.5 inch lift? I image the springs at least would be longer with the 5.5. I was considering doing the SOA in the rear anyway. If I purchased the 4", would it be a simple upgrade to the 5.5 by just purchasing new springs and shocks for the front? If so.. that seems the ideal solution to me.. allowing me to get the lift I desire and ability to run 31's without fender rub now, and a nice clean upgrade to 33's and when I can afford new gears etc down the road. Does anyone agree/disagree with this train of thought?
-Sully

Sully,

The TTB drop brackets are the same for both 4" & 5.5" lifts. There are two sets of holes in them for either setup. You will two sets of springs and shocks to switch between the two heights...

I went with the 5.5" springover. I love it. I got the height and still have a comfortable ride. I did not get the extended radius arms. The kit only cost $600 through Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers. I put it on myself, it was somewhat difficult without a hoist or some of the required tools. When it comes to lifts, go high.

Back