• Register Today It's free!

Superlift Pricing

ThainC

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Keep in mind this is Canadian, but while e-mailing a company that I found in BC, I asked for a quote on a 5.5" Superlift System (I can't remember - there is a difference between Kit and System, right? The Superlift.Com Website doesn't seem to be giving anything but bad webpages for me), complete with the Superunner Steering Kit.

The reply I got was that they were willing to sell the complete 5.5" Superlift kit for the 91-94 Explorer, with the Superunner Steering Kit, extended rear and front brake lines, and with poly bushings for $2000. Good Deal? I personally think so, but curious what others think.

ThainC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well how much is 2000$ in US $?

1,487.94 USD

Or so I think.

I sent an e-mail that read this:
Thanks for the quick reply. I was surprised to see a response in my inbox so soon. That seems like a very good price. I just want to clarify that this is the 5.5" Superunner System with the superunner bracket kit, as well as the Superunner Steering System? Of course, you also mentioned the front and rear brake hoses as well as the poly bushings - I assume radius and axle?

I know I'm just clarifying, but I want to make sure it's right. Big investment for me. If it doesn't include shocks, that isn't much of a problem - I was looking at some Rancho's anyways.

I got the Superlift Webpage up and running, so just wanted to confirm with the technical names.

That seems a little high to me, but I don't know what the superrunner package adds

I think that is a bit high. I had mine installed without the superrunner steering kit for about $1500 US. Parts were approximately $1000 at a shop that charges retail + 25%. If you check the 4x4 rags you can find the kits for about $600 + $100 for the extended brake lines, and about $400 for the steering kit. I did not install the steering kit, but did install a steering stabilizer ($75). I am satisfied with the results. If your steering is shot the superrunner kit is a good idea. The bushing, axle and radius, are a good idea. Also make sure you ball joints are in good condition prior to lifting.

It must be a Canadian thing, but this is the cheapest I've found. On national4wd.com I think it's listed at $2300, and the quotes I've gotten are puttig it up around the same (I got one quote that said approx 1600 for the kit, 600 for the steering - Nothing else). I love Vancouver, and Canada, but sometimes I just don't know...

This is $2000 for both parts, plus the extras. I'm not sure yet myself, but I think this is about as cheap as it'll get.

4" is a lot

ThainC, I just lifted mine 4" with the superlift kit. I love it. I put BFG 32s AT on the stock rims. I am 6 foot and I just get my ass on the seat to get in. It runs great on street and took it wheelin this weekend, a bit stiff, but awesome. I almost went with the 5.5" lift, and I am glad I didn't. Think about it.

As far as the price, they charged me about $1200 for the kit (US), but check out my post titled JBM aka www.sporttrucking.com to see what a pain in the ass they were.

ThainC, make sure your shop has a press, they'll need it to replace the pivot arm bushings. Have it done cuz it will only be a bit for labor. Otherwise it's an expensive job so take advantage of the fact that they are taking everything apart, also get the radius arm bushings replaced while you're there. You can order the bushings from Energy or have your shop get them. I don't know what the driving kit has , but if it has the ... what is it, drag arm linkage or something, it's a good idea to change that. Also have them throw on a new brake kit while they are there and clean up the groove and lube it well (where thost metal pins with the rubber between them go) rotors get worn fast cuz that will stick if it is not cleaned and greased well.

I hope this helps. :chug:

Oh yeah, the kits are advertised a lot cheaper in the 4x4 mags. ThainC, can't you order from the US and just ship to Canada. You should be able to get it all for under $1000 US.

What are axle bushings??? I have never replaced or heard of those on my 92 explorer.

Check out this website, it has the kits for sale and yeah, the superlift site isn't working, but this one is!

Dead Link Removed

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to contact them. I haven't a clue how much they will charge to install it.

As for ordering from the US? No. I ordered my KKM from the US - The price, once converted, was a little over $100 so I was all for it. When I went to pick it up, it was COD - I had to pay a huge difference once it crossed the border. I think I have a thread on here about that incident. Never going to order from the US again unless they are willing to ship it without mentioning the price - which I doubt any company would do.

Grrr. Want to lift so darn bad.

This is just about as annoying as trying to find a nice set of reverse glow guages in KM/H. I think the $2000 is what I'll end up doing, and then take the advice above about what to have them do during installation, though I had pondered the thought of installing myself - probably not a smart idea though.

ThanC, I would really recommend against the superrunner steering kit. It has really bad geometry and actually makes toe change more severe than stock.

Then what would everyone suggest? I thought the steering kit would improve the whole system? Should I look at another kit?

You'll be btter off with Sky Jacker

Honestly? What are the differences between the two kits? And why is Sky Jacker better? (I haven't done any research on Sky Jacker yet - except that it's more expensive)

Hrm... only a 4 inch lift for a 4wd...

Skyjacker is a more expensive kit. It is about twice the price of Superlift. I do not have any experience with the skyjacker kit, but people on this site say that it is more durable than the superlift. So I will only comment on the superlift 5.5-inch. I am satisfied with mine. I do not wheel hard or often. I have had the lift in for about 2-years an had no problems. This kit is what I wanted, and the shop that sold and installed it gave me the same recommendation. It is important to be realistic about you driving habits when you lift your truck. If you are looking for a decent kit and you do not abuse the suspension then Superlift is less expensive and should satisfy your needs. If you need a stronger lift then Skyjacker may be right for you.

I've been known to jump my truck occassionally, but I'm not overly aggressive other than taking speed bumps pretty fast.

Money is obviously an issue to a degree, since I'll still need to buy new wheels and tires (Even know I've a brand new set of 33x12.5's sitting on my '89 K5), shocks, and what have you.

I don't know - I thought the $2000 for what was all being offered was a pretty good deal. I'll continue searching I guess, especially now that people are saying the Superrunner Steering Kit and such are detrimental to the lift.

I dont think that the superrunner kit is bad, it is just unnecessary for most people. The shop that installed my lift did not recommend it, and it would have just been more money for them. If you steering linkage is worn out it may be a good investment. You can always replace any worn steering components. I would recommend that you do the lift with a steering stabilizer and make a decision at that time. Just remember when you lift to make sure your ball joints are sound and radius arm bushings are in good condition. I am satisfied with the operation of the stock steering system right now. But you are the one to make the call.

First off - thanks for all the information. Unclemeat - thanks for the heads up on your personal experience. I guess you're right, I can always deal with the basics, then decide whether it's needed. I just had the upper and lower balljoints replaced last summer, and the radius arm bushings no more than two months ago. Energy Suspension Poly Bushings.

I figure with what they're all willing to toss in... Are there any components of the truck I should have examined BEFORE getting this kit installed? I seem to have some sort of weird rattle in my front passenger area. It's a mechanical rattle - like metal or something. When I kick the front passenger tire, there is a wierd... like... boing like noise. A vibrating type of noise. Other than that... I'm not sure what I should worry about. I hit any type of pothole in the road, and the front of my truck goes nuts. The ride is excessively rough. I think the shocks are shot, but I haven't worried about that since I'd need new shocks with the kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ball joint or loose front bearing. Jack up the tire off the ground, place hands 12 and 6 oclock if you have play is the ball joints. Hands 3 and 9 oclock if you have play here it is most likely a loose bearing. Ball joints will go longer without damage, a loose bearing should be fixed right away.

Back