• Register Today It's free!

Supply and Demand

AZmom

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
I have been on the fence about 2014 vs 2015 Explorer Sport. The must have's are 401a package, dual moonroof, tow package, 2nd row bucket seats and any color but black or white. (My sister has black and I grew up with all white vehicles).

As I was working deal on my trade (38k) and new vehicle, the entire Phoenix area (7 or 8 dealerships) are out...even the white or black for a 2014. So I no longer have a choice or a back-up plan. I must order or pass on a Sport....sigh. Good news for anyone with a Sport but bad for those who want one. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That definitely stinks. I'm picking mine up tomorrow. It took my dealer here in NJ 3 days to find one for me. I wanted black, 401a, 2nd row captains chairs, tow package and no moonroof. I finally had to settle for the moonroof. Good luck, hopefully you find what your looking for....

Here it is Saturday afternoon, one dealer called and another customer decided against a Sport. So they are requesting me to come in and take a look. Who knows what will happen.

Smitty do you have pics?

Ok, it's done...I changed teams. Just took ownership of a ruby red sport. 401a, tow, 2nd row buckets, adaptive cruise control, dual moon roofs.... Too tired.

Dealer did it right! I do have to finish signing papers tomorrow am....

Ok, it's done...I changed teams. Just took ownership of a ruby red sport. 401a, tow, 2nd row buckets, adaptive cruise control, dual moon roofs.... Too tired.

Dealer did it right! I do have to finish signing papers tomorrow am....

You are going to love the Sport !!

Welcome to the heard....

Thank you!

I truly love my Explorer, as I loved my limited but I'm a horsepower kind of girl. After getting hubby his stang this was a perfect fit for me and my family. Hubby's happy and I'm happier!

My deal and timing was unheard of and I can't stop smiling. I am currently getting 22 mpg... That's after the dealer did their thing and hubby programmed the rest- so started at 8 now at 22.

Your Gas Mileage

Hi AZmom,

Sounds like you scored! Good for you. I'm picking up a new Explorer Sport this weekend.

I am wondering if you could expand on your statement when you said, "That's after the dealer did their thing and hubby programmed the rest"

Can you please tell me what your dealer did and what you hubby did? Sounds like good stuff.

Thanks.

Sure-- but first I need to ask what color did you get? I love the Ruby Red, in the parking garage at work it is similar to the Sunset- one of the managers here stopped me and asked if it was the same vehicle or was she losing it....I told her it was the same vehicle and then I giggled and said it was different....couldn't do it to her. :D

So the dealer pulled my Limited next to the Sport and pulled out my additions, cargo mats, all weather-floor mats (even though the Sport comes with them-at least this one did). Then they helped move everything over-- iPod cords, iPhone cords and put them in the correct places. (this was after the dealership closed- as the only other customer was a couple who bought the other Sport and a Fusion as 1 deal). The Salesmen sat in the car offering to pair up the phone and to set it up. This Red one was barely off the delivery truck - as was the white one and both sold before they hit the floor. So San Tan is again without any Sports-- however I still can't stop smiling. This vehicle is gorgeous & fun!

My hubby paired the HomeLink (garage door openers) to the electronic gates and each of the garages. Pulled off the front license plate (thanks to the forum) -- removed all the carpeted floor mats and put in the new all-weather, and played with all of the electronics-setting up "home" on the navigation. Vehicle was running because yesterday in AZ was the hottest day of the year so far and always need to make sure all a/c seats as well as AC is working to max capacity. The chip for the navigation was never installed so hubby took care of that too-- whatta guy!

I love the Explorer- fun to drive- looks fun and has that fun factor! I will share with the hubby...maybe - after all he spoiled me on this ride!

Sounds like life is great in your world! Good dealer/good husband/good ride. Perfect!

My new ride is Ingot Silver. I like the contrast of the light silver offset by the blackout treatment. Interestingly enough my current vehicle is a 2011 Explorer Limited. So I too am going to be able to move over a few accessories as well.

I think you mentioned you are getting 22 mpg on your Sport. That is more than I get on my Limited. I get right around 20 mpg. Though about 75% of my miles are on the highway at 70 mph which I am sure knocks it down a bit.

What is your driving style? Highway vs around town? Did you do anything to the engine fuel management system to improve mileage? Are you running premium gas or regular.

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

Congrats AZmom! Great looking car...now all you people and your sports are making me want to turn my lease in early and upgrade to the sport!!

Sounds like life is great in your world! Good dealer/good husband/good ride. Perfect!

My new ride is Ingot Silver. I like the contrast of the light silver offset by the blackout treatment. Interestingly enough my current vehicle is a 2011 Explorer Limited. So I too am going to be able to move over a few accessories as well.

I think you mentioned you are getting 22 mpg on your Sport. That is more than I get on my Limited. I get right around 20 mpg. Though about 75% of my miles are on the highway at 70 mph which I am sure knocks it down a bit.

What is your driving style? Highway vs around town? Did you do anything to the engine fuel management system to improve mileage? Are you running premium gas or regular.

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

My driving style- well I drive in prime rush hour traffic for anytime between an hour to an hour and a half (32 miles one way). Typically I can drive 60 mph + and then it becomes a parking lot as I change 3 different highways to go to work. I had my husband teach me (after his driving adventures class) to look immediately and what is further up ahead-- so I use that to coast when I can. I have noticed that once up to speed I can still average about 25 mpg- with a steady foot- that was at 70 mph last night in traffic. My hubby has an Ecoboost F-150 truck and he did some research and was able to determine that mid-grade gasoline seems to have the best results. So we will gas up at the same station to further test the theory, which seems to be accurate. I find myself using the Ecoboost to get up to speed and love it when it kicks in (kinda throws you back in your seat)- but I watch the instant gas reading to gauge in the "sweet spot" for the vehicle. I used the same for the Limited and the worst gas mileage I received was 19.1.

Today on the way into work- only 2 days so far and each day it is getting better and better. 22.9 is what my Sport is showing when I parked it today. I had to text the hubby that I "love love love" my car!

Ignot silver was my 2nd choice as I tend to agree that is a beautiful color. But since my birthstone is a Ruby..well enough said there. :)

Congrats AZmom! Great looking car...now all you people and your sports are making me want to turn my lease in early and upgrade to the sport!!

I may be the wrong person to say that to, as I just had my last car for 5 months before trading it in. :eek: I loved my Limited but I love-love-love the Sport. I say check with your dealer and see what they can magically make happen!

I may be the wrong person to say that to, as I just had my last car for 5 months before trading it in. :eek: I loved my Limited but I love-love-love the Sport. I say check with your dealer and see what they can magically make happen!

I've had mine for 15 months and almost 23,000 miles...longest ive kept a car! I work for Ford so I get the best deals possible, problem with trading is my explorer was hit twice, once by a piece of wood and the other by a woman texting. I still am might consider taking the loss though.

That's cool, I have extended family who worked at the plant in Michigan....until the bonehead quit.... So I get x-plan through work. The problem is not all dealers honor or have to honor it. Out here Sports are hard to come by ever since the Ecoboost challenge that it makes finding a Sport difficult and a deal like mine impossible (nearly).

Still love the Sport...love my gas savings! I'm considering this an early birthday present! ;)

So I get x-plan through work. The problem is not all dealers honor or have to honor it.

I initially questioned this, but read on Fords partner website & sure enough, "participating dealers" is mentioned a few times. Seems like every dealer would want to make a sale. I've even used X-plan at a small farm town dealer with an inventory of about 20 units & no show room. Weird indeed.

There were dealers here whom refused it. That's why I was thrilled dealing with my local dealership, but with the Supply and Demand out here- you have to find a honest and willing dealer.

Good luck!

Back