Surge Brake Controller Included in Class III Towing Package? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Surge Brake Controller Included in Class III Towing Package?

Jeffrey Smith

Reaction score
City, State
Atlantic Highlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I just purchased a very nice 2017 Explorer XLT with a Class III 5000 lb Tow Package from Tom's Ford in Hazlet NJ. They had the CPO vehicle with a tow package in my price range. Does that package include a Surge Brake Controller? If I need to add it aftermarket can Ford Service do it and if not, how should I search for an outside provider??

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
Jeffrey, welcome to the forum from Ocean County (Toms River). I would contact the dealer you purchased it from & ask them.

<

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
If you have the factory tow package, it is rewired. Go buy a brake controller (prodigy p3) and the harness. Harness will snap into the plug under the dash. Mount the controller and plug other end of harness into that. It's a 5-10 min install.

<

SuperGreg

Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
I am a n00b to trailer brakes and controllers, but don't surge brakes work without a controller?

<

Odrapnew

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I am a n00b to trailer brakes and controllers, but don't surge brakes work without a controller?

I was thinking the same thing.

I think the OP means electric brake controller.

<