• Register Today It's free!

surging only at cruise speed

redfox97

Reaction score
City, State
Ashford,Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995xlt
My '95 is surging only at cruise, whether it is 40,50,or 60. It idles fine and accelerates fine. I changed plus,wires,air filter. I am lost. Any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?? I've searched but the ones I have found were usually having problems at idle or accelerating. Like I said mine is only at speed, it runs fine all other times. thanks

Fuel filter could be clogged.

You might want to actually test for spark and fuel. It could be a damaged coil pack or fuel pump or something. Fuel pressure regulator even, you gotta start eliminating the possibilties

check to make sure all your linkages are free and not binding in any form. Also check to make sure brackets associated with speed control stuff are not loose. I am not sure if 95 speed control is vacuum associated or electronic (my 96 is electronic). If it is vacuum based, it sound like perhaps you have a vacuum leak somewhere. If its electronic, check the VSS resistance ( that the circuit used to determine the speed of the vehicle).... but it would likely show a "fluctation" (bouncing / drifting) during normal driving. Your speed control servo might be having problems. You could try replacing it (I don't know how much they cost but it probably ain't cheap). Lastly, I suspect it is a faulty switch in your steering column.... ie. the set/accel switch.

budwich it's not actually a problem while using the cruise control(although it does it then also). It does it when I level the speed off. It sat a couple days while I was out of town and is now doing it just every now and then. I'm thinking maybe bad gas. I reated the gas added fresh gas and I'm going to change the filter also. I'll see what happens. thanks

oops, i misread your post... sorry. Actually, it looks perhaps like a fuel problem. However, troubleshooting charts also point at the MAF sensor for surge/bucking under cruise / accelaration.

troubleshooting charts also point at the MAF sensor for surge/bucking under cruise / accelaration.
That would be my first guess too. Maybe clean the MAF first, and see if that has any effect.....

Back