• Register Today It's free!

Survey from Ford

I bleed Ford Blue

Reaction score
City, State
North Olmsted
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Yesterday I got an e-mail survey from ford about my 21 explorer purchase. Part of the survey was to tell them what I liked best about the explorer, what I disliked, and any thing they can do to improve it. So my responses were as follows.

What I liked, the HP on the ST, the technology, and the front seat legroom now that they went back to a RWD platform.

Dislikes, no V8 option

Ways to improve, expand the optional roof rails to all trim levels - no body uses them anyway, a third row seat delete option - not everyone wants or needs a third row, and adding the 2.7 ecoboost to the line up. Some may want more power than the 2.3 offers but can't afford to or don't want to step up to the ST or platinum to get the 3.0. The engine is already out there in other ford vehicles. Make it around 330 hp, that would be enough of a power increase to entice buyers to spend more for the optional 2.7. They could keep the 2.3 as standard on the XLT and limited, and have the 2.7 as an option, leave the ST alone, and make the 2.7 standard on the king ranch and platinum and move the 365 hp 3.0 to the option list.

I could see them making the roof rails optional on all trims, maybe offing a third row delete, but adding the 2.7 is a pipe dream. But hey, they asked for my opinion, so I gave it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes opinions, stated clearly and logically, carry more weight than you might hope. The bean-counters carry a lot of weight as well, unfortunately.

Yesterday I got an e-mail survey from ford about my 21 explorer purchase. Part of the survey was to tell them what I liked best about the explorer, what I disliked, and any thing they can do to improve it. So my responses were as follows.

What I liked, the HP on the ST, the technology, and the front seat legroom now that they went back to a RWD platform.

Dislikes, no V8 option

Ways to improve, expand the optional roof rails to all trim levels - no body uses them anyway, a third row seat delete option - not everyone wants or needs a third row, and adding the 2.7 ecoboost to the line up. Some may want more power than the 2.3 offers but can't afford to or don't want to step up to the ST or platinum to get the 3.0. The engine is already out there in other ford vehicles. Make it around 330 hp, that would be enough of a power increase to entice buyers to spend more for the optional 2.7. They could keep the 2.3 as standard on the XLT and limited, and have the 2.7 as an option, leave the ST alone, and make the 2.7 standard on the king ranch and platinum and move the 365 hp 3.0 to the option list.

I could see them making the roof rails optional on all trims, maybe offing a third row delete, but adding the 2.7 is a pipe dream. But hey, they asked for my opinion, so I gave it.
I agree on the 2.7. My XLT has the 2.3 and while it is perfectly "adequate" I would of upped another 2K for the2.7 whereas an extra 10K or whatever for an ST was not something that I wanted to do. When I completed the survey I talked about better cargo management in the rear.

Dislikes, no V8 option

Well...the third row is already foldable, so if and when it's not needed it goes away. Of course, that's easy for me to say, mine doesn't have a third row at all.

The 2.7? I don't see the point. Another 30hp in a vehicle of our cars' bulk is hardly much of a factor. Perhaps some people just don't want to drive a 4-banger.

I'm with you on the Coyote option, that WOULD be cool for the same reason it's a nice option on the -150. Not everyone wants to deal with forced induction.

The coyote won't fit. I checked as soon as the 2020's hit the dealerships. But a 7.3 out of the new super duty will fit and they come stock with 430 hp and 475 tq on motor alone.

I know the third row is foldable, but if you have no need for it, its just extra weight to lug around.

Well...the third row is already foldable, so if and when it's not needed it goes away. Of course, that's easy for me to say, mine doesn't have a third row at all.

The 2.7? I don't see the point. Another 30hp in a vehicle of our cars' bulk is hardly much of a factor. Perhaps some people just don't want to drive a 4-banger.

I'm with you on the Coyote option, that WOULD be cool for the same reason it's a nice option on the -150. Not everyone wants to deal with forced induction.
I don't mind driving a 4 cyl. That is why I bought the 2.3 over the St. I do think that 30 hp is something you would feel, as well as additional tourque. There are times when the 2.3 is a little short on wind and I think that the "little" extra would fix that. Thats just my opinion.

Sometimes opinions, stated clearly and logically, carry more weight than you might hope. The bean-counters carry a lot of weight as well, unfortunately.

You are absolutely right about the bean counters.

From 1999 - 2001 Ford joined our forum members for some offroad events that we put together. I recall that they sent 11 engineers and other support staff on one trip, with similar numbers on the others. Their engineers drove with our members and picked our brains about what we would like to see in the way of a "Jeep Eater" style of vehicle.

After one of our events I received a phone call from Ford's lead on the project. She wanted to know if the personal information which our members provided was factual as Ford's "bean counters" refused to believe that the majority of our group was well educated, and had very good jobs. We had a member with a Phd in the group, engineers from several fields, etc. Since it took 20 years for Ford to build that "Jeep Eater" they may have never believed it.

@mattadams didn't you get a call to verify your information?

You are absolutely right about the bean counters.

@mattadams didn't you get a call to verify your information?
I seem to recall them following up after the trip to verify some things, but that was also like 20 years ago so my memory is a bit foggy lol.

Back