• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Suspension and Drive Modes

Rapid Red Rocket

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
New to the forum, I have my first question. Bought my new XLT in November and ever since then I've been testing the vehicle's drive modes. Primarily just between "normal" and "sport". Professional reviews and some advertising brags that the "sport" mode tightens the steering, quickens the throttle response, adjusts (holds) transmission shifts, and tightens the suspension. Everything but the suspension change I've noticed. Although I love how quick this drive mode is, the way it hangs on to a lower gear way too long is annoying. But my main question is: Does the suspension (stiffness) change at all from any drive mode to another? To me, in all drive modes the suspension is way too stiff. Love the way it turns and handles though, so I guess that's the tradeoff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

AdrenalineJunky

Reaction score
City, State
Nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST.
Reduce your tire pressure to 32 with a good digital gauge.
Mode do not change suspension.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
................. Does the suspension (stiffness) change at all from any drive mode to another? To me, in all drive modes the suspension is way too stiff. Love the way it turns and handles though, so I guess that's the tradeoff.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
From your Owner's Manual regarding Drive Mode Control. Note that it does not affect the suspension.
Sport
For aggressive on-road driving.
This mode increases throttle
response, provides a sportier
exhaust sound and steering feel, along with
quicker shifting. The transmission holds
gears longer, helping your vehicle
accelerate faster when shifting gears.

Peter

Rapid Red Rocket

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Reduce your tire pressure to 32 with a good digital gauge.
Mode do not change suspension.
My tire pressure was already at around 41 to 42 psi. Reduced it to 32 to 33 psi. I think it helped just a little. I'm still getting used to the way my new Explorer drives. Thanks.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
My tire pressure was already at around 41 to 42 psi. Reduced it to 32 to 33 psi. I think it helped just a little. I'm still getting used to the way my new Explorer drives. Thanks.
It seems some dealers when prepping the vehicle for customer delivery, did not 'air down' the tires from the factory pressure setting for transport.

Peter

Spacey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I checked my pressures about two weeks after delivery. All tires were 46PSI rather than the recommended pressure. I changed them. Better ride, worse gas mileage.

lscrx

Reaction score
City, State
North Augusta, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
...the way it hangs on to a lower gear way too long is annoying...
The reason it does that is that if you were racing the Explorer on a track, you wouldn't want it to upshift after letting off the accelerator before entering a corner. You can manually upshift with the paddle-shifter to reduce the engine braking if you're not on a track.

Rapid Red Rocket

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
The reason it does that is that if you were racing the Explorer on a track, you wouldn't want it to upshift after letting off the accelerator before entering a corner. You can manually upshift with the paddle-shifter to reduce the engine braking if you're not on a track.
Thanks. I've been manually upshifting with the paddle shifters anyway when the gear seems to hang on for awhile. I'm just not used to the engine racing (seemingly stuck in gear) as I level off my speed after accelerating. But if that's what's considered "normal" for the vehicle to do that while in "sport" mode I guess it just takes some getting used to.

avio07

Reaction score
City, State
A
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
It seems some dealers when prepping the vehicle for customer delivery, did not 'air down' the tires from the factory pressure setting for transport.

Peter
Mine was at 44 Psi from the dealership had to bring mine all down to 33.

lscrx

Reaction score
City, State
North Augusta, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Mine were at 46psi when I picked it up from the dealership.