Suspension and Drive Modes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension and Drive Modes

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
New to the forum, I have my first question. Bought my new XLT in November and ever since then I've been testing the vehicle's drive modes. Primarily just between "normal" and "sport". Professional reviews and some advertising brags that the "sport" mode tightens the steering, quickens the throttle response, adjusts (holds) transmission shifts, and tightens the suspension. Everything but the suspension change I've noticed. Although I love how quick this drive mode is, the way it hangs on to a lower gear way too long is annoying. But my main question is: Does the suspension (stiffness) change at all from any drive mode to another? To me, in all drive modes the suspension is way too stiff. Love the way it turns and handles though, so I guess that's the tradeoff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reduce your tire pressure to 32 with a good digital gauge.
Mode do not change suspension.

................. Does the suspension (stiffness) change at all from any drive mode to another? To me, in all drive modes the suspension is way too stiff. Love the way it turns and handles though, so I guess that's the tradeoff.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
From your Owner's Manual regarding Drive Mode Control. Note that it does not affect the suspension.
Sport
For aggressive on-road driving.
This mode increases throttle
response, provides a sportier
exhaust sound and steering feel, along with
quicker shifting. The transmission holds
gears longer, helping your vehicle
accelerate faster when shifting gears.

Peter

Reduce your tire pressure to 32 with a good digital gauge.
Mode do not change suspension.
My tire pressure was already at around 41 to 42 psi. Reduced it to 32 to 33 psi. I think it helped just a little. I'm still getting used to the way my new Explorer drives. Thanks.

My tire pressure was already at around 41 to 42 psi. Reduced it to 32 to 33 psi. I think it helped just a little. I'm still getting used to the way my new Explorer drives. Thanks.
It seems some dealers when prepping the vehicle for customer delivery, did not 'air down' the tires from the factory pressure setting for transport.

Peter

I checked my pressures about two weeks after delivery. All tires were 46PSI rather than the recommended pressure. I changed them. Better ride, worse gas mileage.

...the way it hangs on to a lower gear way too long is annoying...

The reason it does that is that if you were racing the Explorer on a track, you wouldn't want it to upshift after letting off the accelerator before entering a corner. You can manually upshift with the paddle-shifter to reduce the engine braking if you're not on a track.

The reason it does that is that if you were racing the Explorer on a track, you wouldn't want it to upshift after letting off the accelerator before entering a corner. You can manually upshift with the paddle-shifter to reduce the engine braking if you're not on a track.
Thanks. I've been manually upshifting with the paddle shifters anyway when the gear seems to hang on for awhile. I'm just not used to the engine racing (seemingly stuck in gear) as I level off my speed after accelerating. But if that's what's considered "normal" for the vehicle to do that while in "sport" mode I guess it just takes some getting used to.

It seems some dealers when prepping the vehicle for customer delivery, did not 'air down' the tires from the factory pressure setting for transport.

Peter
Mine was at 44 Psi from the dealership had to bring mine all down to 33.

Mine were at 46psi when I picked it up from the dealership.

Back