Suspension differences - 2017 Sport/Platinum vs. XLT/Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension differences - 2017 Sport/Platinum vs. XLT/Limited

Eric F

Reaction score
City, State
So Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I have read in numerous older threads that the Sport has different suspension components than the other models, including different springs and a lower ride height. Yet, looking at the current specs for 2017s, all models have the same ground clearance, and 32mm front/22mm rear stabilizer bars. I'm not finding a different part number for Sport springs. It also appears that all models share the same front strut tower brace.

Does anyone know - for sure - what suspension components are different between the Sport/Platinum and the XLT/Limited? Is there really more to it than a difference in steering ratio, or is "sport tuned" mostly marketing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just looked at the front suspension coil spring for the 2016 Limited and XLT and they are a different number (DB5Z-5310-G) compared to the 2016 Sport (DB5Z-5310-K). Didn't go any further.

Peter

I just looked at the front suspension coil spring for the 2016 Limited and XLT and they are a different number (DB5Z-5310-G) compared to the 2016 Sport (DB5Z-5310-K). Didn't go any further.

Peter
Hmmm...I'll have to look again. I found all the same part numbers. Thanks.

People have previously mentioned that the Sport is lower than the XLT. However, ground clearance numbers don't support that claim. Maybe it's just a difference in spring rate on the Sport/Platinum.

Poor research on my part regarding springs. As Peter found, there is a difference in springs. Also a difference in the struts and shocks. Stabilizer bars, links, and control arms are the same between all models, however.

Poor research on my part regarding springs. As Peter found, there is a difference in springs. Also a difference in the struts and shocks. Stabilizer bars, links, and control arms are the same between all models, however.

I assume this is true for 2011 - 2018 models since there's only been a cosmetic redesign. That being said, is it just a matter of ordering the springs and struts to get a "sport" suspension on a 14 LTD?

@TxRanger351w don't forget about wheels and tires, which can have a huge effect on feel and handling. For 2014, I believe the XLT came with 245/60-18's whereas the Sport came with 255/50-20's. A shorter and/or stiffer sidewall will effectively increase the spring rate as well, so if you have the 18" tires, you would possibly need to go for a spring even stiffer than the Sport to have have the same feel.

This was on another thread and I agree, info is very limited. And someone posted on that thread, this amazing video from a Ford Engineer when they first introduced the 2013 Sport, which largely applies to the latest ones too. He goes through all the technical differences.

@TxRanger351w don't forget about wheels and tires, which can have a huge effect on feel and handling. For 2014, I believe the XLT came with 245/60-18's whereas the Sport came with 255/50-20's. A shorter and/or stiffer sidewall will effectively increase the spring rate as well, so if you have the 18" tires, you would possibly need to go for a spring even stiffer than the Sport to have have the same feel.

I have the 20" wheels. Just put yokohamas on recently, stayed pretty close to the factory size which think is 255/50 - 20

If you drive a Sport, and then drive a non-Sport, the difference in Suspension can easily be felt.

Back