Suspension Dos and Don'ts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension Dos and Don'ts

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
Just wondering what not to do...what to watch out for......and what things are reasonable ways to improve my Mountaineer's handling. What about wheel options and tires? I'm new to torsion bars but I just know they are my front springs...I have a RWD and I'm basically looking for maybe a different spindle to lower the vehicle...better shocks, struts......and is there a thread that I can look into to get a crash course in what kind of suspension we have....the good bad and ugly I guess. I know it's medium duty, stiff....but really don't know much more...thanks in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well you will need to get a set of camber/caster adjusters for the the front. The you can lower your explorer in the front by loosing the the bolts in the end of the torsion bar. I would also recommend shorter sway bar end links if you do go lower. I do not know the best shock upfront for a lowered explorer. As for the rear you will need to get a set of lowering blocks and new ubolts for the rear. I lowered my explorer 2 inches for about 100 bucks then another 90 for the required aliniment that comes after lowering a vehicle.

Is it a major project to lower? From what you told me...and what I've read so far about lowering the our SUVs....not much to it....but just worries me that these trucks were meant to be a certain way. I always hear it's better to leave things stock...and I agree to an extent...just want to do it right and not put extra strain and end up spending an arm and a leg for something that just aint worth all the effort.

The complete kit from Explorer Express is $1000. If you have to pay for installation , it could get out of hand money wise. Quality of installation is always an issue. I put the complete kit on mine with 97 cobra wheels and , while it is way better than stock , it still wont out handle my 94 F150 with complete Lightning suspension. I like to slam corners on my daily commute , so thats why I have them both set up that way. I will say this, I just lowered my sons Mounty 1 1/4 inch in the front with cobra wheels as well with some undersized 235/55/17s that I got for free and I would swear it handles as good as mine. Im going with 255/55/17 next. Alot of the cornering ability is in the alignment. Stock specs suck. I align mine to custom specs that work from years of experience. It just depends on what you want out of it and what the budget is.

I think lowering greatly improves your handling. So I think it is very much worth it.

Back