• Register Today It's free!

Suspension headaches

Khayward

Reaction score
City, State
Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Some time back I had read up on suspension and steering issues, mostly low speed steering noise. Late last year after getting new tires I concluded that this was down to the struts. Bought a pair of Gabriel quickstruts and then bought another pair because the first ones were junk. Still had some noise but the steering noise/clunk was gone.
Noise has got worse, had a sickening crack noise when pulling into a parking space, you could tell it was a compressed creak rather than something breaking.
Got under there yesterday and had a look, thinking maybe the sway bar links had given out. Everything seems solid, but the rearward control arm bushings look a bit past their use-by date. Couldn't get much leverage to shake them but figure new lower control arms aren't expensive and come with bushings, so that's the next plan.

Anyone changed these and have pointers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some time back I had read up on suspension and steering issues, mostly low speed steering noise. Late last year after getting new tires I concluded that this was down to the struts. Bought a pair of Gabriel quickstruts and then bought another pair because the first ones were junk. Still had some noise but the steering noise/clunk was gone.
Noise has got worse, had a sickening crack noise when pulling into a parking space, you could tell it was a compressed creak rather than something breaking.
Got under there yesterday and had a look, thinking maybe the sway bar links had given out. Everything seems solid, but the rearward control arm bushings look a bit past their use-by date. Couldn't get much leverage to shake them but figure new lower control arms aren't expensive and come with bushings, so that's the next plan.

I haven't changed my lower front control arms - yet. But if the sway bar bushings - front and back - don't fix my creaking/pop noise going over any bumps, then that will be next. I previously had changed front struts and mounts and that did not fix the issue. I paid a shop as I don't have a lift to do it.
But I do know, once you change the front control arms, you will need an alignment.

The rear bushing in the front control arm typically makes a thudding/knocking noise that you can feel in your feet when driving at slow speeds and going over bumps. It usually doesn't occur at higher speeds. Mine was doing that so I replaced the control arms and noise is gone and yes, an alignment is highly recommended (mine was slightly out). The good thing about replacing the control arm is that balljoints are included. Get the Motorcraft versions. My control arms started to make noise around 95k miles and took me a while to decided to replace the arms.

Sway bar links will typically make a noise when you hit a bump on one wheel, regardless of speed. More like a rattle.

The 'crack/creak' sound you mention doesn't really sound like either of those, but it could be.

The rear bushing in the front control arm typically makes a thudding/knocking noise that you can feel in your feet when driving at slow speeds and going over bumps. It usually doesn't occur at higher speeds. Mine was doing that so I replaced the control arms and noise is gone and yes, an alignment is highly recommended (mine was slightly out). The good thing about replacing the control arm is that balljoints are included. Get the Motorcraft versions. My control arms started to make noise around 95k miles and took me a while to decided to replace the arms.

Sway bar links will typically make a noise when you hit a bump on one wheel, regardless of speed. More like a rattle.

The 'crack/creak' sound you mention doesn't really sound like either of those, but it could be.
Thanks for those details. I started noticing several noises last year. It began with a difficult to describe clunking/loose feeling on low speed bumps, as well as noise during low speed steering. After I changed the struts the low speed steering became quiet, as it should be (I believe Ford went to electric steering because they accepted that they suck at power steering pumps!).
Since then there's still been this knocking quality to the typical thunk noise over bumps and it feels somewhat shaky. Also noticed an unstable feeling when turning into traffic from a dropped kerb. The crack/creak I mentioned happened during a hard braking turn into a parking spot.
Checked at orielly last night for control arms, they have ones made by 'Precision' for $170 so I guess it'll be the Motorcraft ones from wreckauto for $120 ea. May as well do sway bar links while I'm in there. And bushings too.
Appreciate all the questions and info. I read through a lot of info and other posts before doing the struts and initially thought the steering noise was the issue with the steering rack dust boots others had reported, rather than strut bearings, so defining the specific qualities of the noises has helped narrow it down. Sometimes knowing is as satisfying as fixing.

Check price for control arms from Autonation Ford in White Bear Lake, MN.
They usually have good prices on parts.

I'm lucky that they are local to me, so I can pick parts up and avoid shipping.

Thanks for those details. I started noticing several noises last year. It began with a difficult to describe clunking/loose feeling on low speed bumps, as well as noise during low speed steering. After I changed the struts the low speed steering became quiet, as it should be (I believe Ford went to electric steering because they accepted that they suck at power steering pumps!).................................................
That is incorrect. Electric power steering requires 90% less energy which also helps to mildly increase MPG. Unlike a hydraulic pump, EPAS only engages when needed. Many of today's cars/trucks use electric power steering.

Peter

Just got done changing both arms, on a test drive. Things certainly seem waaaaay better. Still some steering creaks - are quickstruts that bad? Sounds like strut bearings. Attaching a side by side of the old bushings, guess which was the noisy one?

20220828_113511.jpg

Well folks, fingered out the lingering noises, I think. Turns out the clownshoe that changed the struts installed one with the arrow in and one with the arrow out. That's what I get for fixing my own junk.

Still having low speed noises. When I changed the control arms I had a feeling that the sway bar links were too close to the control arms. I had also noticed that one of them had a tiny bit of play at the strut end, so figured on replacing those. Even with that the noise was bothering me as it made no sense. I'd previously described it as a compressed creak noise, but popping is a better word, not sure why it didn't occur to me. Anyway, I did some research and found that the struts I installed were date specific for after Sept. '12. Went and found the sticker at the bottom of the b pillar and it says 02/12. Looked at the specs for the two different date specific struts and found some length differences so I'm guessing the wrong struts play a big part in the noise. Will report back after the replacements are installed next weekend. If all goes well it'll be time for an alignment.

After dropping some more money I installed the correct struts yesterday, along with the one sway bar link that survived shipping. Seems to have gotten rid of all the noises. Attaching a picture of the struts side by side, the one on the left is the post-2012 unit, the one on the right with the smaller flat mounting plate is the correct early model one.
20220924_091803.jpg

Back