Suspension Help

Adumpert

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have several questions but lets start with these:
-What suspension lift can I do to my '96 xlt 4wd?
-Will a 4.0 turn 33's well?
-Would it be better to do part BL and SL or all SL?

Stay Frosty Ya'll
Alex D.

I haven't got any experience in lifting Explorers, my 4.0 SOHC Experience came from my 2001 Ford Ranger with the factory offroad package which came out before FX4. As for the 4.0 engines, I think it would have to do with your gearing. My 4.0 with 4.10 gears turned a set of 33x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain's pretty well, but Explorers came with either 4.10's or 3.73 gears. The 3.73 ratio would probably make your Explorer slower than pouring molasses in winter time, and both gears with those tires will throw off your speedo. to find out for sure, you'll need to verify your axle ratio. This can be done via decoding the tag that may or may not be still attached to your rear differential cover by one of the bolts, otherwise the sticker on the driver's door area for the cabin should tell you an axle code (For instance D2 Axle Code=4.10 gears with disc brakes, 31 spline axles and a Trac-Loc differential). I'll let the other guys chime in on the best ways to lift an Xploder, mine is more aimed for handling performance on the street. Hope this helps Alex, have a good one man.

That was wonderfully informative Anti, thankyou for the info on the axle code, I would have never been able to find that on my own haha!

Anytime man! Another thing that came to mind for lifting is doing a spring over conversion. I needed to do one of these to convert the Explorer axle to fit the Ranger chassis, and it's really not that bad. I've heard of Explorer guys doing it and I believe it nets roughly 3" of rear lift, then you just need to address the front end somehow. There are writeups, but this basically consists of removing the axle,marking the location and cutting the spring perches off, set it up on jack stands and measure your pinion angle, re-weld on new perches on the TOP of the axle, and then stabbing it back in the truck. Definitely check with guys who have done this on Explorers and have better experience and insight then I do, but that's the jist of it. I used parts from Ruff Stuff Specialties for my swap, awesome shop for 4x4 gear.

Back