suspension kit for a 2001 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

suspension kit for a 2001 Explorer Sport

Jsmith180601

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I have a 2001 explorer sport and im looking for a Suspension Lift kit and or body lift. I am wondering since i am still a newbie on body and suspension work on vehicles...unfortunately! i am wondering if this suspension kit will fit an 01 sport: http://www.roughcountry.com/ford_83-97_midsize.htm. please get back to me cuz this is an amazing price and its a rough country suspension kit too which i know are good for their name

I also am wondering about this body lift so if you could please check into it or if you know please help!!!http://www.roughcountry.com/ford_83-97_midsize.htm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first kit you linked is no good. Its for first gen explorers, its got those springs. And also it says

• Lifts Fit Year Models:
- 1983-1997 Ranger
- 1984-1990 Bronco II
- 1990-1994 Explorer

As for the second link, its the same as the first...:confused:

well does any one know where i can get a decent bodylift at a low cost beacuse money is tight. that or an all around leveling kit that will raise the sport up 3 inches. Please Help

As jtsmith said the Performance Accessories body lift part number PA883 is the one that will work. It for a Ranger. You need this model because it has the right steering extention. You will need to make your own rear bumper relocation brackets. From what I understand the front should be able to relocated with out a bracket. Check out this write up.
http://mudmarine.tripod.com/3bodyliftinstall/

will a body lift for an 01 explorer sport trac work on an 01 explorer sport because i have been finding all these lifts for the sport trac but very rarely do i find one for an explorer sport with out having to do any modifications. i am a newbie so i found a garage to help me put it on and they will charge more to custom fab a new mounting bracket or something similar.

we just put a body lift for the sport trac on my 03 sport. front end is the same, a big pain to do... need to cut parts off original bumper, but it works. there will be some stuff left over. i thought it would be better than the one for the ranger.

I put a sport trac bl on my 2001 sport as well and I had very little problems with it. I did have some parts left over but it works...and I have had no problems so far...heres a pic of my sport with the bl on it, this is before the shackels too.

Attachments

• Picture%20112.jpg
    Picture%20112.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 8,943

wow it looks just like mine... same color and all! good work. I still haven't moved my rear bumper up yet.... how did you do yours?? did you have to make new brackets or did the ones for the sport trac work? did you have to cut the frame rails or notch the bumper? I really got to fix mine.. it looks silly.

Do you get some mad rubbing on the front with those 13.5 tires?

I had to drill new holes in the brackets for the rear bumper, and yes I did get some rubbing when flexed so i trimmed the sideskirt on the inside corner, but know that the tires have worn down a little bit they dont rub as much. But I plan on putting the superlift 4 in. suspension lift on when i get back from over seas and 35x12.5 so they shouldnt rub that much at all..

a superlift and 35s will look sick on there for sure. my 12.5's rub, but i still need to do a TT.... Be safe over there (assuming you are in iraq)... when do you get to come back?

so you drilled holes in the existing brackets, or the brackets that came with the sport trac kit? everybody i talked to says the bumper or something needs to be cut... but if i could just drill new holes that would be way better.

Im pretty close to Iraq...i should be back in earliy juneish...I took the stock brakets and used them as a templet for the ones that came with the body lift and then drilled the holes. its pretty think metal i think its like a 1/4 in or bigger so i used a drill press and matched the bolt size with a drill bit.

cool... yeah my boyfriend thought that was what needed to be done but we weren't positive. those brackets are some thick a$$ metal... gonna pull that bumper off and see if we can figure it out.
thanks for the info man! ps... your sport looks good :)

I need some help with lowering my 01' explorer sport ive been getting lots of different answers but not sure what to do

I need some help with lowering my 01' explorer sport ive been getting lots of different answers but not sure what to do

Start your own thread about it.

Back