• Register Today It's free!

Suspension lift 95 XLT, Help?

Tommycarr

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I'm looking to put a 2.5" suspension lift on my 95 XLT, and I can't find any product, or info, on how to do it. I also want to add a leaf to the rear end to give it that slight forward tilt. Can it be done? Where can I find the lift kit? Oh, any reason my tailgate light comes on when I'm low on fuel instead of the low fuel warning light? I also now know why she has been affectionately refered to as the Ford "Exploder". One rebuilt tranny and she's good as new. I appreciate any help I can get with the suspension lift,

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Dan, thanks for the link, but a torsion twist isn't quite what I looking to do. I'm looking to get 2.5" to 3" of lift with springs, shocks, leafs and an extra leaf, and the shackles if need be. Any other ideas for me? I'm sure I read something on here, about something being welded making this lift difficult. Every site I've looked on lists a kit for every year of Exploder except the 95'. Somebody must have done a lift kit install on 95' XLT somewhere! I'm still looking for help! Thanks again

hey bud i remember readin theat 95-97 explorers can use 98-00 lift kits , maybe do a search im sure you will find it ,
but i belive superlift and ruff(or tuff) country make a 4" lift, if you just wanna fit big tires do a 2" tt and 2" aal, then a 3" body lift that would probally cost around 500-700$$ but youll get 5" of lift compared to the 4" lift kit, the lift kits suspension will flex more but the lift kit also cost you 1500-2000$$

The problem on 95 model year only Explorers is Ford welded the rear torsion bar mounts to the frame. 96 up they were bolted on. A Superlift kit could be used but you have to cut the mounts off the frame.

Superlift does not recomend their kit do to the difficulty of proprly lining the mounting brackets for the torsion bars. Yes it could be done but it would cost quite a bit more $$$ to have it installed.

it actually sounds like the TT is what your looking for a 2" TT or even a 2.5" TT would work forne that with an AAl and skackels would give you about 3" of rear lift and then 2.5" up front. You can also use F-150 leaves in the rear...years 80-96? search there is a great thread on it.

Wow, thanks guys, all of you! Some great info for me. And if she has to be cut, well then, she has to be cut. Here in Vancouver we have an excellent off road shop and I'm sure they can handle it. The torsion twist is a no go, but I think the 96" lift kit is what I'll do. When I get her done, I'll add a photo of the finished product. Thanks again guys, you've made this endevour so much easier.

Oh yes, the truck is a 4X4!

Just another question for you guys, why don't I completely remove the rear torsion bars, and install a set from a 96", this way I would have the bolted type? I wonder if it's possible to do! Thanks again for all the help.

Replacing them with '96 up will not do any good. You have to remove the factory mounts so you can replace them with new ones in the lift kit.

The reason for this is to lower the rear of the torsion bars to equal the height of the front of the torsion bar. There is also a bracket that drops the lower control arms so the front axle shafts are not at too large of an angle.

Search the Suspension forum and you will find a thread comparing the Superlift & Trailmaster kits. You will see by the pics what I'm talking about.

Dan, thanks again, I now know exactly what I'm doing! I couldn't find the info I needed anywhere else. This is a great site, and all the help is much appreciated, Thanks again guys!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back