• Register Today It's free!

Suspension Lift ?'s

V8powerbaby

Reaction score
City, State
Altus,OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 V8 XLT
Hey everyone. well i was looking at lift kits today for my 00 Explorer V8 and i am haveing a hard time on what exactly to get. Could i use a kit for 00 Ranger? What are some of ya'll using out there on you X i would want to get a kit that ppl have used and enjoy the quality of the lift itself. thanks in advance to everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not use an Explorer kit?

Superlift, Trailmaster, and RCD all make kits for the Explorer. RCD being the best and most pricey. Superlift is next best.

Any kit for a late-model is pricey. The Trailmaster kit has been said to be weak, uses ball joint spacers instead of new knuckles. Superlift is good but it lowers the front crossmember so your minimum ground clearance doesn't increase by a whole lot, other that what bigger tires will lift it. RCD is great but even more spendy, eliminates the torsion bars and replaces them with coil-overs so ground clearance is much better. Guy at MySportTrac.com recently put RCD Ranger kit on, he did say that one front end piece is different from the Ranger but they were able to make it work. If you go that way, you'll still need an add-a-leaf and shackles or a SOA conversion to lift the rear since the Trac is sprung-under. (Rangers are sprung-over, so for the rear you just need lift blocks.) Superlift's kit gives you new rear springs.
If money is no object and you want to, oh say, race Baja, the Dixon Bros. kit is the real shiznit.
http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/main.htm
If it's me, I just get the whole Superlift deal.

V8powerbaby said:
Yea i am 2wd.. So i guess my best bets are ProComp and Superlift... hmmm. thanks for all the help guys.

Since your 2WD, you have more choices.. you can get lift spindles, crank the torsion bars or add a body lift, etc.. If you crank the torsion bars too high, you may run into some camber issues. I'd recommend looking into spindles.. Lift spindles, a slight torsion twist of 1.5"-2" should be good for 33s if not bigger. If you wanna go larger, you can also throw in a 2" or 3" body lift in addition.

Yea i really don't wanna run into messin up the camber at all unless i really have to but then again i really don't wanna dish out the 1,800 bucks or so to get a the full suspension lift so i am more than likly going with the spindles. What are some advantages and disadvantages to the spindle solution compared to the full suspension set up? kinda curious

Back