• Register Today It's free!

Suspension play too far?

nrschaaf

Reaction score
City, State
Newport, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer AWD
Has anyone ever had an issue with their front end where the suspension is over extending? After putting axle back in I noticed the drivers side extends over an inch further than the passenger side and it's causeing the inner CV joint to bind. I noticed the upper control arm now rests on the frame with it's extended which the passenger side doesnt do either. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the torsion bar may not be in correctly.

No, they don't come out to remove the axle. I did do the TT and I was concerned that could be causing it, but from everything I've read the TT doesnt extend the play, only tightens it up. I'm pretty sure the shock limits the end play, but I can't see anything wrong with the shock.

check to see if the t-bar cracked or broke when you let the truck back down...

Well it took a while to have the time but I figured it out. I measured the Rancho's that I put on and they are alittle over a half inch longer than the Monroe shocks. I picked up a Monroe and put it in and even though the drivers side is still sitting lower than the passenger side, it doesn't bind anymore. Still don't know why it sit's lower, but at least I'm not binding anymore.

Back