• Register Today It's free!

Suspension Question

jtmarkley

Reaction score
City, State
Humble, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 2dr 2wd Sport
I have a 1998 Explorer Sport 2 WD and the back end seems to sit about an 1 1/2" lower than the front and looks like it is dragging its butt. I have gone to a few off road places to see if they can level it but no one will work on Explorers they say something about the wheel base and being a liability. Can anyone give me an idea on how to lift the rear end an inch or two? Someone did mention add-a-leaf but they said it would affect the ride. Any help would be great. Thanks!:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can get new shackles and add a leaf for the back. Warrior 153 shackles are the most popularly used ones on this forum.

Thank you. Is it something I can do myself or do I need special tools?

welcome

what would the wheel base have to do with anything...look at a Heep...i mean jeep

What are you talking about? Are you even replying to the right message? No one said anything about a wheel base or a Heep/Jeep.

sport 2 wheel drive,, hmmm fiberglass leafs ???
no add a leaf, ??
one method is to go to the local junk yard, and get a set of 4 door 4x4 leaf springs from anothert Explorer, that lifts it back up to where it should be, ,

What are you talking about? Are you even replying to the right message? No one said anything about a wheel base or a Heep/Jeep.
Um...You did. And jeeps have short wheelbases.

You are right. I forgot all about that. Sorry. I do appriciate the input. I will have ask them about why they will lift a Jeep and not my ride. Thanks again.

I just swapped to 4 door leafs (code F) on saturday. Also have a 2" lift shackle.

HPIM0708.jpg

Looks GREAT! How does it ride? What year four door did you get them from? Were they expensive? What size/brand shackles? Thanks.

What did you do to the front to lift it?

They were off a '98 with 65K miles, i got them for $50 a side and they pulled them for me.

I made the shackles last year, i made them 4 inches longer over the stock ones for 2" lift.

It rides rougher, not bad at all though. more like a truck than a car, it was really bouncy with the mono leaf.

I just did a TT in the front, i'm going to lower the front back down some to save wear on the CVs, i think they are binding a little when the suspension droops over large bumps.

BTW, you can't add a leaf, best bet is a 4 door pack, but you don't have to worry about the CV binding because yours is 2WD...crank away.

I just swapped to 4 door leafs (code F) on saturday. Also have a 2" lift shackle.

HPIM0708.jpg

Nice sport mine has wild country tires on it also, what size you running

jtmarkley - check my earlier post, it has a link for the shackles

sport 2 wheel drive,, hmmm fiberglass leafs ???
no add a leaf, ??
one method is to go to the local junk yard, and get a set of 4 door 4x4 leaf springs from anothert Explorer, that lifts it back up to where it should be, ,

Fiberglass leafs? No... Steel mono-leaf? yes, but no fiberglass.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was calling attention that that ,, don't use add a leaf with fibreglass mono leafs,
they just don't mix,, ,

Back