Suspension replacement/upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension replacement/upgrade

EricG1793

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello, I have a 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 4WD. Bought it with 128k, now has 179k. I've thought the ride has been a bit harsh from day one, more like a Super Duty than a midsize SUV, but I've lived with it. Suspension has been getting creaky, so I've been thinking about replacing ball joints, bushings, etc. However, it suddenly started to handle speed bumps very terribly from the front, and I noticed the front left corner was a little low. I had a look underneath and, well, you can see the pic below. Not sure what happened, but I think now's the time to replace everything. I just can't decide whether to replace with OEM or get aftermarket shocks/springs or even coilovers. Not necessarily looking to lift it (if so, not much, maybe 1-2"), but something that rides (maybe even handles) better than OEM would be nice.

I see coilover options from Radflo, and shock-only PRO Shocks. I think I've seen KYBs elsewhere. Even OE replacements like Sachs or Bilstein's would be welcome. I know you get what you pay for in general, so I don't want the cheapest junk, but I'm not looking to go rally cross or race track with it, either. I do occasionally (a few times a year), for short distances (less than an hour) almost reach the 7,000lb towing limit.

If I go with OEM, I'm thinking of the loaded strut assembly all around. However, if I get the springs separately, there's one spring for 3rd for seating and one for no 3rd row seating (I do have 3rd row seating). There's only 1 option for the loaded assembly, not sure it it'll work either way or if it's for one way or another. Anyone know what the situation is with that?

Sorry that I can't really decide what I want, but any input on what you've all had good luck with would be appreciated!

1650408226876.png

1650409382379.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 2nd gen, so no coils, but ive loved my kyb gas adjusts for shocks! does rancho make a set of coils? i have no coil experience but as far as shocks those have done nothing but please me!

Ive installed rockauto's Motorcraft complete struts to the front and Sachs shocks only to the rear suspension.

Left the old rear spring coils

I installed the KYB quick struts on my 07 last year at about 125K - all four corners. It was just feeling sloppy and it tightened everything up considerably even though I had no leaks in the OEM shocks. I would consider the ride harsher than it was - but then again I pretty much expect that when you replace old struts with over 120K miles on them. I prefer that my Explorer ride more like a truck than car so it wasn't a problem for me but if you thought your OEMs were harsh at 128K then you'll think the KYBs are designed for off road racing.
Honestly, anything new you put on it now is going to be 'harsh' compared to what you have at 179K.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I read all your replies as they came in. Unfortunately, I forgot about 07EddyB's reply and ended up ordering the KYB assemblies. That was after an insane amount of time researching and agonizing over what to get. I'm just happy I got it over with and got something that's better than the current situation!

Fix4Dirt, it turns out Rancho does make RS5000X struts for our gen! No quick lift or level kits, though. The strut part numbers are RS55753 (front) and RS55754 (rear). They're around $100 each on RockAuto now. I messaged Rancho and they recommend using Moog springs with their struts, or maybe a Monroe assembly to get all the components, but I really have no desire to get Monroe.

My plan is to try the KYBs, and if I really don't like how they ride, order the Rancho struts, swap them out, and sell the lightly-used KYBs (that is, if I don't make it worse with the Ranchos). I'm imagining that the Ranchos might ride a bit better given they're off-road oriented, to soak up the large bumps. I don't mind sacrificing some handling for a better ride. We'll see how it goes!

Bazz270, I thought about Sachs struts, too. Sachs is the OEM for Volkswagen, I believe. I had an '04 Passat before this Explorer. Guess I was spoiled with how well that rode.

Bilstein doesn't make anything for our gen.

Good luck with the KYBs - I like mine - also understand that you might have to live with them for a while if they are stiff - everyone says that they settle in after a while but I haven't really seen any difference from when they were new. Coilovers are a lot like tires - the way they ride is very subjective to different people. Words like harsh and firm and soft have wildly different meanings to different people so it's basically impossible to get a good grasp on what to expect based on someone else's opinion. It's possible to get the exact ride you want - but between tires and shocks it's going to cost a lot of money to dial in that perfect combo.
I kept my OEM coil overs - they are up in the attic right now. If the KYBs didn't work out - I figured I would rebuild the old ones since I figure the spring is the most important part of the equation. But then again - those are pretty old springs so....

Thanks for the info, everyone. I read all your replies as they came in. Unfortunately, I forgot about 07EddyB's reply and ended up ordering the KYB assemblies. That was after an insane amount of time researching and agonizing over what to get. I'm just happy I got it over with and got something that's better than the current situation!

Fix4Dirt, it turns out Rancho does make RS5000X struts for our gen! No quick lift or level kits, though. The strut part numbers are RS55753 (front) and RS55754 (rear). They're around $100 each on RockAuto now. I messaged Rancho and they recommend using Moog springs with their struts, or maybe a Monroe assembly to get all the components, but I really have no desire to get Monroe.

My plan is to try the KYBs, and if I really don't like how they ride, order the Rancho struts, swap them out, and sell the lightly-used KYBs (that is, if I don't make it worse with the Ranchos). I'm imagining that the Ranchos might ride a bit better given they're off-road oriented, to soak up the large bumps. I don't mind sacrificing some handling for a better ride. We'll see how it goes!

Bazz270, I thought about Sachs struts, too. Sachs is the OEM for Volkswagen, I believe. I had an '04 Passat before this Explorer. Guess I was spoiled with how well that rode.

alright!!!! ive loved both my kyb and rancho shocks, so hopefully couls will be no different!

Hey did you ever get these going? I'm looking to buy the KYB's and was just wondering how you like the ride. thanks!

Hey did you ever get these going? I'm looking to buy the KYB's and was just wondering how you like the ride. thanks!
dont have kyb strust, but the shocks ive had from them have been top notch imo.

Yes I did! My initial impression when riding with my friend who helped me was good; it seemed to improve the ride. But, as I get used to it and more critical, the ride on the usual cracks and frost heaves seems a little rougher than it did before; I just feel more of the road overall. But, it does better on harsher bumps, and it definitely handles better than it did before. Less body roll and it handles speed bumps better; after going over, the front suspension just settles down nicely in its original position, whereas before it would go down beyond its original position then rebound up to its original position again. Not repeatedly, but it definitely was more movement than with the new KYBs.

As far as KYB vs. Motorcraft vs. Rancho or something else... I really don't know. I'm guessing the KYBs are pretty close to Motorcraft, but the ride is disappointing. However, I've been reminded that an Explorer (pre-2011) is a truck, and trucks just ride rough, especially 4WD ones. Well, it seems to me that trucks like F-150s ride pretty nice, but they have longer wheelbases, where our Explorers are Ranger-based. I guess it's just the nature of the beast and I can't expect to drastically change the way it rides.

If I were to do it again, I'd give the Rancho struts with Moog components a try, but I don't think I'm going to bother changing it at this point.

As for installation, the fronts were pretty straightforward. I had to unbolt the lower control arms on the inward side but was able to keep the ball joint bolted in. If you'll be doing control arms at the same time, swap the struts while you have the old arms removed; I tried to do the struts after the new arms were in.

The rears were surprisingly far more difficult, the first problem getting the 3 nuts off the top of the strut towers. There's little room to maneuver a wrench, and although my Explorer is pretty rust-free, those nuts were resisting every single turn, prohibiting the use of a stubby ratchet. After struggling on one side to get them all off one click at a time, we smartened up and put a 4" cutting wheel on a die grinder (3" isn't big enough to reach around the strut towers) and cut the studs right off the top of the old strut mounts. Highly recommended, just don't spin that wide cutting wheel too fast. I didn't replace or remove any other components in the rear besides the strut assemblies, so it was a lot of forceful prying to get the strut assemblies in and out, but we got it done.

For the rear strut top studs use 12 or 13mm gear wrench + rust penetrant

For the rear strut top studs use 12 or 13mm gear wrench + rust penetrant
I did use penetrant (after wire brushing) and a gear wrench. However, the nuts were still hard to turn right up until the last thread; they never loosened to the point of turning by hand. It's a long way up that 1" or so stud, especially when there's very limited space to swing the gear wrench on some of the studs. So, that's why I felt cutting the studs on the second rear strut was the fastest solution, and I'd do it again.

Others might have better luck than I did since I Fluid Film my Explorer, which may have made the threads sticky and gritty especially being on a flat surface near the frame. I had zero problems with all the other bolts, even the big ones in the control arms.

The front ones were much easier, but they're also accessible from above with a ratchet and socket with long extensions, so resistance and maneuverability weren't an issue there.

Well

The traxda rear lift spacers has bigger 14mm head bolts.

Never experienced any reassembly problem with em

Yes I did! My initial impression when riding with my friend who helped me was good; it seemed to improve the ride. But, as I get used to it and more critical, the ride on the usual cracks and frost heaves seems a little rougher than it did before; I just feel more of the road overall. But, it does better on harsher bumps, and it definitely handles better than it did before. Less body roll and it handles speed bumps better; after going over, the front suspension just settles down nicely in its original position, whereas before it would go down beyond its original position then rebound up to its original position again. Not repeatedly, but it definitely was more movement than with the new KYBs.

As far as KYB vs. Motorcraft vs. Rancho or something else... I really don't know. I'm guessing the KYBs are pretty close to Motorcraft, but the ride is disappointing. However, I've been reminded that an Explorer (pre-2011) is a truck, and trucks just ride rough, especially 4WD ones. Well, it seems to me that trucks like F-150s ride pretty nice, but they have longer wheelbases, where our Explorers are Ranger-based. I guess it's just the nature of the beast and I can't expect to drastically change the way it rides.

If I were to do it again, I'd give the Rancho struts with Moog components a try, but I don't think I'm going to bother changing it at this point.

As for installation, the fronts were pretty straightforward. I had to unbolt the lower control arms on the inward side but was able to keep the ball joint bolted in. If you'll be doing control arms at the same time, swap the struts while you have the old arms removed; I tried to do the struts after the new arms were in.

The rears were surprisingly far more difficult, the first problem getting the 3 nuts off the top of the strut towers. There's little room to maneuver a wrench, and although my Explorer is pretty rust-free, those nuts were resisting every single turn, prohibiting the use of a stubby ratchet. After struggling on one side to get them all off one click at a time, we smartened up and put a 4" cutting wheel on a die grinder (3" isn't big enough to reach around the strut towers) and cut the studs right off the top of the old strut mounts. Highly recommended, just don't spin that wide cutting wheel too fast. I didn't replace or remove any other components in the rear besides the strut assemblies, so it was a lot of forceful prying to get the strut assemblies in and out, but we got it done.
Thanks for the awesome write-up! I already bought the KYB's so I guess I'm stuck. That's ok though, I got the 20" OEM wheels and drive like a goddamn maniac (northeast driving right? lol) so if they handle better i'm on board!

Back