• Register Today It's free!

suspension squeeks

blckmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Flemingotn NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 mountaineer
i noticed this during the winter, but kind of jsut disregarded it. But now that it is warm out, and i am driving with the windows open alot, it is getting on my nerves. I drive a 2000 mountaineer, and my front suspension makes squeeking noises. I have no idea what it is, and cant tell exactly where the noise is being made. What could be making it? My only thought is that it is the shocks. Is there any way i can check them or sumtin. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep join the club my 96 does the same thing and i think ive got it down to either control arm bushings or the torsion bar bushings if you push straight down on the front does it sqeak? if so im pretty sure its the control arm bushings like im pretty sure is wrong with mine

That's hard to tell. You would have to start eliminating the culprit one by one. If you think you may need new shocks then by all means start with that. If it does not solve the problem check your ball joints, they may be worn out. Check for loose parts. Lots of things could make squeeking noises. You just have to keep eliminating possibilities one by one.

me and a buddy checked mine (he was under it when i pushed on it) and it was coming from thecontrol arm / torsion bar area but it is hard to tell sometimes another pair of ears or hands may help alot

No more squeaks.

:bounce: Hey guys I had the same problem with my '98, I though that it was the orig shocks because they where soft so I replaced them with Bilsteins, great shocks by the way but the squeak was still there, so I replaced the sway bar bushings with polyurethane bushings and found out that the orig bushings that hold the sway bar to the frame needed to be greased, the sway bar pivots on these bushings and the rubber without grease squeaks against the metal. I replaced them any way.
The new Energy Suspension bushings come with special type of grease and you can see that the bushings including the orig ones have little groves on the inside that are for holding the grease.
No more squeaks.
Not to say that there maybe more components that could squeak but the cheapest thing would be to call Energy Suspension and ask them what type of grease they recommend and try putting some on your sway bar bushings, it just might save you some big money.
Good luck,
Dennis

You can use normal grease in the bushings. The grease they come with is horrible and is too tacky and actually caused my bushings to squeak. Make sure you get the GREASEABLE Energy Suspension bushings, too. They have a grease fitting that will allow you to grease them at will.

If you think it's the shocks making noise, unhook them and see if that cures it. Push up and down on your bumper or drive it a bit to see if the squeak is still there.

There are so many more components in the front suspension that it's hard to diagnose at times. Just go one by one until you get it.

If you get squeaking in the rear. :rolleyes:

It could be this little plastic pad in the leaf back. Ford replaced mine and got rid of all the squeaking in my rear.

...That just didn't sound right! :nono:

I get this very pronounced creaking in the front end of mine when it's driven over speed bumps. The shocks were replaced and the front end was checked out, I'll have to look into the sway bar bushings. Dennis, did you replace the front and rears? Would you happen to have part numbers handy?! :D

Joe

this is the link

:bounce:
Hey Joe,
this is the link to the site that I purchased my bushings.

http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=2146

I only replaced the front. I bought the black bushings because they are impregnated with graphite, making them self lubricated or at least better lubricated than the red ones or any other color. When you buy this kit you get the bushings for the sway bar as well as the end links. I plan to replace the rear but time is a little short, especially with the summer coming in. Make sure you use the grease that is provided; I never had any problems with squeaks after the replacement of the bushings. Ask if the ones for your Explorer come with the grease nipples, mine did not.
Good luck,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis! :)

Joe

My 98 is squeaking alot also. I am going to try everything to get rid of the noises. Boy Ford has a lot of bushings in the front there. :fire:

Stic-o said:
Ford replaced mine and got rid of all the squeaking in my rear.

...That just didn't sound right! :nono:

LMAO!! Man I think I should get mine checked out too. :p

Back