LukerDooker

Reaction score
City, State
N.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/high-tech-automotive-headaches-110000495.html

High-tech automotive headaches
ConsumerReports.orgBy Jim Travers | ConsumerReports.org – Thu, Dec 26, 2013 6:00 AM EST

High-tech automotive headaches

ConsumerReports.org - High-tech automotive headaches

Today’s cars are coming loaded with in-dash electronics that provide smart-phone connectivity, turn-by-turn navigation, multiple audio sources, and more. But for car buyers, the wow factor is often short-lived because of the complicated touch screens and troublesome control systems that come with those features.

In our latest auto-reliability survey, conducted last spring, in-car electronics generated more problems from 2013 models than any other problem area, with Cadillac, Ford, Honda, and Lincoln vehicles accounting for the most complaints. By contrast, Audi, BMW, Chrysler, and Lexus systems were relatively trouble-free. (See the "Electronic Troubles" section below.)

To find out what was going wrong, in October the Consumer Reports National Research Center re-contacted thousands of people who owned a 2011, 2012, or 2013 vehicle from one of the four most troublesome brands and asked about their specific problems and overall satisfaction with their infotainment systems.

The majority of the 3,148 respondents reported frustrations. Sixty percent said they had problems learning how to operate the system during the first few weeks of ownership, with little variation among the systems. In addition, one-third reported experiencing at least one system malfunction, such as an unresponsive touch screen or a problem with voice controls.

The survey also found that age played a significant role in respondents’ experience with their systems. Almost 70 percent of drivers who are 65 and older reported having difficulty learning to operate their systems. That number dropped to 52 percent for owners ages 45 to 64, and to 37 percent for drivers between 18 and 44.

On a positive note, almost half of the respondents who initially had difficulty said they became a lot more proficient over time. Still, a similar number said they became only a little more adept at using their system, and one in 10 said the systems had not gotten easier to use.

In our October survey, more than a third of respondents who owned a car with an infotainment system experienced one or more problems with their car’s audio, communication, or navigation functions.

Looking only at 2013 models, 32 percent of owners with the MyFord/Lincoln Touch systems reported problems, and 30 percent of those with HondaLink did. Only a fifth of Cadillac owners said they had problems with their Cue system.

The most common malfunctions for the Ford and Lincoln communication systems involved voice controls and Bluetooth connectivity, used for hands-free phone calls and streaming music. Other owner complaints centered around radio, CD and DVD players, and touch screens. Due to a smaller number of Cadillac and Honda respondents, we don’t have that level of detail for their systems.

Overall there were fewer problems reported for GPS navigation, backup-camera, and MP3 player systems.

The age curve was reversed for drivers reporting the most problems. In the youngest group, 46 percent of owners experienced some kind of malfunction, and only 36 percent of those ages 45 to 64 reported the same. That may be because younger owners are more tech savvy and likely to use and rely on more of their systems’ features.

Overall, owner satisfaction with the systems is relatively low compared with other satisfaction surveys we’ve conducted. Among Honda owners, only 61 percent were highly satisfied with their car’s infotainment system. Similarly, only 56 and 52 percent were highly satisfied with the Cadillac and Ford/Lincoln systems, respectively.

If you’re considering a car with an infotainment system for the first time, one notable finding to consider is that your overall satisfaction may depend on how comfortable you are with technology in general. About 80 percent of owners who didn’t consider those systems to be initially complicated reported high overall satisfaction. That contrasts with only 10 percent of owners who found them to be very complicated. Ease of use does matter. And in the long run, so does reliability.

This article apeared in the February 2014 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.
:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Their surveys are flawed with such a small, targeted demographic (only people who subscribed to their magazine!)

I gave up Consumer Misreports years ago after their "biases" started showing through.. I've had a lot of problems with many of their "recommended" products... Made me wonder if they actually tested at all!!! Or did they go to the "highest bidder"?

I resorted to personal experience, boards such as this, and a preponderance of reviews taken with a grain of salt...

For example, i have rented probably a dozen explorers over two years... Had only one with serious MFT issues.. Made it unusable. Readup on problem and one suggestion was to re-calibrate the screen. Did the re-calibration and BAM! No more MFT issues with that vehicle for the final two weeks I rented it..

One conclusion can be drawn... Some people can't deal with technology! I don't know how else you would put all that "stuff" on the dash with any control.

Is this the same Consumer Reports that rigged the test results of the Suzuki Samurai and later the Isuzu Trooper to make it look like they tipped up on 2 wheels in their lane change test? The same Consumer Reports that failed baby car seats in their 38MPH side-impact tests when in fact the tests were actually performed at closer to 78MPH? Yeah, I don't believe any of their "recommendations".

Is this the same Consumer Reports that rigged the test results of the Suzuki Samurai and later the Isuzu Trooper to make it look like they tipped up on 2 wheels in their lane change test? The same Consumer Reports that failed baby car seats in their 38MPH side-impact tests when in fact the tests were actually performed at closer to 78MPH? Yeah, I don't believe any of their "recommendations".

It is amazing they still retain ANY sense of credibility!!!

It is amazing they still retain ANY sense of credibility!!!
Just renewed my subscription. Have been a member for as long as I can remember. Have not had any issues with the recommended articles I have bought and always use their guidelines when thinking about making certain major purchases. It is the only magazine I subscribe to.

Peter

Agreed

I have read some of their evaluations and then gone to see the same item in person and their assessment and criticisms were not accurate.

I wish one of the manufacturers would challenge some of their misinformation campaigns in court.

Or at least hire guy to meet the evaluators at their car in the CR staff parking lot to discuss the errors.LOL!

Back