SUV with stuck accellerator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SUV with stuck accellerator

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It never occurred to her to put the car in neutral or turn the ignition off?

The 911 call said she could not put it in neutral.. her shifter wouldn't move. However i do not know why she would not just shut the car off and then put it in accessory position so her steering wheel wouldnt lock up.

OK, thanks for the info on the model. Must have been the floor mat that the accelerator got stuck on I guess.

maybe... but i'm not buying the fact that nothing she could do worked. i can see a person maybe getting so freaked out that they freeze with their hands glued to the steering wheel and don't try to put it in neutral or turn off the ignition, but it sounds a little fishy to me. could be one of those attention starved people looking for some media coverage. let's see if we ever hear what really happened.

The odds of the accelerator getting stuck, and the gearbox getting stuck, and the ignition getting stuck, and the eBrake not engaging, and the regular brakes not slowing the vehicle at all? =P this all sounds pretty fishy to me.

This sounds more like a case of a driver that never learned what to do when the accelerator gets stuck. She panicked and let the car get out of control.

She says her emergency brake was fully on, wouldnt the brakes have been smoking? But suddenly the advice to lift the accelerator at the same time as pressing the brake, she suddenly stopped so hard that it threw her forward? And the vehicle with a wide open throttle surely didnt seem to want to take off again with much force or speed as she got out and the officer got in...

Her brake lights never came on (until they told her to use them:rolleyes:). I'm thinking this woman may have done this for attention or a paycheck:dunno:

The 911 call said she could not put it in neutral.. her shifter wouldn't move. However i do not know why she would not just shut the car off and then put it in accessory position so her steering wheel wouldnt lock up.

They talked about it on the news this morning and mentioned she had push button start. There is no accessory with push button start.

They talked about it on the news this morning and mentioned she had push button start. There is no accessory with push button start.

Yes there is, you press the button without pressing the brake pedal.

some truth is in there, some cars, will not come out of gear regardless of what you do.

you can drive it in drive, if on the gas, you will not shift it out of drive.

(so you don't break a trans by accidentally hitting it.)

I dont think i have tried to shut down a push to start while still moving, but i know in gear it will shut down.
Yet again this can be blocked to prevent a kid from turning a car off by hitting the button.

i'm not defending her, just pointing out some things can be true. each mfg has control what the car does in what situation.

some truth is in there, some cars, will not come out of gear regardless of what you do.

you can drive it in drive, if on the gas, you will not shift it out of drive.

(so you don't break a trans by accidentally hitting it.)

I dont think i have tried to shut down a push to start while still moving, but i know in gear it will shut down.
Yet again this can be blocked to prevent a kid from turning a car off by hitting the button.

i'm not defending her, just pointing out some things can be true. each mfg has control what the car does in what situation.

I don't know of one car I've ever driven that won't let you shift from any gear into neutral while accelerating. It's a safety feature. You may not be able to shift into another gear, but you can ALWAYS shift into neutral.

Its not a kia, it was a mercedes bens suv !!

that tailgate emblem sure looks like it says KIA. My guess is a 2004-2006 Sorento

It WAS a Kia. And with push button start, you hold the button for a couple seconds and it will shut down.

And on MOST new vehicles the steering wheel will not lock when you shut off the car if its still moving. You will lose power steering, so steering will be more difficult, but you don't have to worry about the wheel lock.

And on MOST new vehicles the steering wheel will not lock when you shut off the car if its still moving. You will lose power steering, so steering will be more difficult, but you don't have to worry about the wheel lock.

also lose brake pedal, once engine is off, and you pumped out the vacuum in the diaphragm in the booster, you will not stop that vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It looks like an old Kia, which I doubt has push button start.

Back