SVO42's BW1354/Dana 20 doubler build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SVO42's BW1354/Dana 20 doubler build

SVO42

Reaction score
City, State
RV Nomad
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XL
I'm just getting started with this. It's also tied to my SAS (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237798). I plan on cutting up my existing manual shift BW1354 to be the low range box. I scored a good deal on a Ford 3-speed and "T-shift" Dana 20 from an early Bronco. The T-shift has the more desirable 2.46 low range. In low-low I'll have a ratio of 6.1:1.:bounce:

This stuff was/is still filthy! Almost 40 years of gear oil-based mud and muck:

P9050902.jpg

The inside of the case looks good, though!

P9050903.jpg

Here's the 3-speed. I'll be pulling the shaft and gear to go on my eventual spud shaft.

P9050904.jpg

More to come!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the adapter separated from the transmission today. You can see how it's set up from the following pictures. The 3-speed's output shaft slides into the adapter housing's shaft female end. This part is 28 spline. Once I have the adapter housing shaft out I'll be able to make a better determination of the best way to go about making the doubler shaft.

3-speed with adapter housing off:

P9060905.jpg

Looking into the adapter housing from the transmission side:

P9060906.jpg

P9060908.jpg

Adapter housing next to the Dana 20. You can see the gear on the end that drives the gears in the D20 (where the sock/rag is right now):

P9060909.jpg

I'll be stopping here until I can get the parts over to my friend Neil's house who's helping me with this and my axle swap. He's got the shop and the press I'll need to get the shaft and gears out of the adapter housing.

Subscribe

:popcorn:

any progress?

Unfortunately, no. My wife's horse foundered two weeks ago. He'll probably be OK, but he's not at our house. Instead, he's 45 miles away and has needed twice daily care. We were planning on getting our place horse-ready this spring, but we really need to have him at our place ASAP. Because of that, we've been devoting all of our time and money toward building a fence/corral and modifying our barn.

I hope to start making some progress in a month or so. I have a wedding this weekend and another one the weekend after! It'll get done, don't worry. Once I have ade some progress I'll post up.

Back