SWAP: 2001 Explorer 5.0L, and T-56 into First Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SWAP: 2001 Explorer 5.0L, and T-56 into First Gen

What needs to be done to the ECM to allow a Std. Transmission to be ran with the Explorer 5.0L?

Are there any resistors, or anything like that that can be used to trick the computer into thinking that the Auto is still in place?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

computer re-flash to remove trans functions

Or

drop a distributor in your block and run a MAS mustang computer (not the best route IMO because the DIS ignition and OBD-II diagnostics are a great part of the GT-40 engine)

Your 01 computer will also have PATS so you can have the PATS feature removed from your PCM at the same time

Just remember that the 5.0 computer will most likely have to be flashed instead of chipped- there is a high percentage of them that the J-port is not active on. But if you wanted to chip it, I have pictures showing what connections you have to make to activate the port.

..okay..

So, in THEORY, it IS possible. Good!

I had thought about Dropping a Distributor into the block, and running a 93 Cobra ECM...but I would like to keep OBDII

What is so bad about PATS?

Thanks,
Ryan

computer re-flash to remove trans functions

Your 01 computer will also have PATS so you can have the PATS feature removed from your PCM at the same time
You can turn off the trans functions in the tuning but usually you will still get a code, p0708 or similar code, which ultimately needs to be removed by the programmers at SCT. If you are interested in this I can help with tuning out the codes. I have the resources available. Gimme a shout I can help. I have currently had these codes removed from Rocket5979, and my personal trucks. Contact me if you have any questions. -James
hensonperformance@bham.rr.com
It isn't necessary to remove the PATS from your computer to execute this swap. But if you want this funtion to be disabled I can do this as well. This will allow you to not have to run the transponder keys.-Thanks James

Just remember that the 5.0 computer will most likely have to be flashed instead of chipped- there is a high percentage of them that the J-port is not active on. But if you wanted to chip it, I have pictures showing what connections you have to make to activate the port.

I agree with you 100%! I really don't see any reasoning for running a chip. Once someone uses the ExCal2 they want to trade thier chip in. I have only 1 customer who is down grading to a chip, which is on a Mustang.

Back