swap A4LD for 5R55E? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swap A4LD for 5R55E?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
Hi, I have a 92 Eddy with a A4LD 4 speed auto tranny. I just blew my first trans at 133k(I know, im one of the lucky ones) and I heard somewhere else on the forums that you can swap an A4LD for a 5R55E. Is this really true? Does anyone have any experience with doing such a swap? I just got my X like 2 months ago and I dont want to be replacing the trans every 2 years or so. Granted the 5R55E isnt the best trans in the world, its way better than the pos A4LD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure it would work since the 5R55E has the same bell-housing I believe, but you would probably need a comptuer out of a 5R55E equipped Explorer. And yes, I think the swap is worth it. 5R55E rules :D

which computer? the PCM? a GEM? or is there just a seperate tranny module? I would be totally willing to do this, I just need to know what I'm getting myself into.

Well the PCM is the powertrain control module, so you would replace the PCM. The GEM to my knowledge just controls power windows, locks, etc. I'm not entirely sure about all of this, since I don't work on cars too much (This is going to change soon :) ) but I do know the PCM controls the tranny. Now that I think about it... I know the 5R55E is a fully electronic tranny, and I don't think the A4LD is entirely electronic. I think it's going to be a pain in the butt, but it's probably worth it.

Your other option is to build up a A4LD. The trans isn't really that weak, and a good re-build will address the weaknesses in the tranny.

You would need to swap in the PCM from a 97 or later Explorer that has a 5R55E. You would also need the electrical harness from the later truck to hook up to the transmission.

This presents more problems however: Your truck is EEC-IV and the 97 and later are EEC-V to comply with OBD-II standards. Im not saying it couldn't be done, but you may need to do a lot of research to get everything wired up and working properly.

Also, the PCM is in a different location in the 2nd gen Explorer, so you might have trouble adapting the harness to the PCM location in your truck (the pass side kickpanel in your truck vs. the engine side firewall in the 2nd gen)

The 5r55e uses electronic solenoids for shift control and line pressure control, where as the A4LD uses a conventional (non-electronic) valve body and a vacuum modulator.

Swapping PCM's isn't neccesary.
You could also use an aftermarket transmission control such as a Dead Link Removed.
It fully controls the transmission so you can use it with any setup including non-electronically controlled carbeurated engines.
Plus you can set things up just how you want them.

I'm probably going to try one whenever I swap trannys.
Also, since it's full electronic control the Baumannator lets you put it into a manualesque mode that lets you shift up and down yourself.

Man, I sound like a marketing guy.:p

That's pretty cool, I didn't know about that.

However, they don't say that they specifically support the 5R55E, so I would email them if you really want to try this.

Supports Ford AOD-E, 4R70W and E4OD Transmissions, with support for additional units available in the future

If you can get this to work, it would be much more simple to pull off than doing a PCM swap.

Originally posted by dogfriend
That's pretty cool, I didn't know about that.

However, they don't say that they specifically support the 5R55E, so I would email them if you really want to try this.

If you can get this to work, it would be much more simple to pull off than doing a PCM swap.
On one of their other Dead Link Removed they do mention that they are making one for the 4r44e, 4r55e and 5r55e.
Of course the page was last updated in 98, so...;)

Back