Swap HID from 2015 Limited to 2015 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swap HID from 2015 Limited to 2015 Sport

sr71_1

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Love this sport except for the lights. Anyone done this - is it possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about your specific question, but many of us have installed aftermarket HID kits into our Sports with excellent results.

Tony

Tony: The 15' Limited offers HID as an upgrade light (not available on the Sport).

My question is whether anyone has bought the OEM HID parts (for the limited) and installed on the sport?

Tony: The 15' Limited offers HID as an upgrade light (not available on the Sport).

My question is whether anyone has bought the OEM HID parts (for the limited) and installed on the sport?

I'm also curious if you can install the OEM HID parts from the Limited on to a XLT? I may be getting a 2015 XLT and would love HID's.

Sorry...I understood your question, I just didn't know the answer. I asked my dealership this exact question and they quoted me something like $1,200 for the various parts. It just made a lot more sense to install some quality (read: not cheap eBay kits) aftermarket bulbs & ballasts. I couldn't be happier.

Tony

Sorry...I understood your question, I just didn't know the answer. I asked my dealership this exact question and they quoted me something like $1,200 for the various parts. It just made a lot more sense to install some quality (read: not cheap eBay kits) aftermarket bulbs & ballasts. I couldn't be happier.

Tony

Tony- Which kit or product did you use? I'm making the change.

Are the Limited HID xenon?

MarkyMark

I'm big on staying OEM as well but its cost prohibitive in my opinion.

One of the good quality HID kits at 4300K looks OEM enough to me.

I bought the Diode Dynamics kit and it looks OEM next to the Limited HID.

Ford OEM HID is a waste of money and I totally regret getting it. I have it on my limited and cry every time I drive my car for the lack of light output. Just last night the wife and I were going out and she commented if my lights were on or off.

I looked at the connectors in my wiring diagram book, and although the shape is the same, each wire has a different function for the HID's compared to the halogen (at least for my '14). You'd have to re-pin both of them and then also add another circuit for some addition functions. If it was a plug-and-play deal, it would be sweet, but not so. If I get motivated any time soon, I will scan and post them.

In the meantime, the modified Philips 9011 bulb is a great choice: 2500 lumens vs. 1700 from the OEM 9005's - a big difference. With these in now, I won't even bother with one of the retrofit kits (and I'm not going to just drop HID bulbs in to the halogen housings). Some info on that here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420771

I looked at the connectors in my wiring diagram book, and although the shape is the same, each wire has a different function for the HID's compared to the halogen (at least for my '14). You'd have to re-pin both of them and then also add another circuit for some addition functions. If it was a plug-and-play deal, it would be sweet, but not so. If I get motivated any time soon, I will scan and post them.

In the meantime, the modified Philips 9011 bulb is a great choice: 2500 lumens vs. 1700 from the OEM 9005's - a big difference. With these in now, I won't even bother with one of the retrofit kits (and I'm not going to just drop HID bulbs in to the halogen housings). Some info on that here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420771

I second the above post concerning swapping out the OEM 9005 headlight bulbs for the 9011 / HIR bulbs. I made the swap about 2 weeks ago and cannot believe the difference this has made in night time visibility. Hard time understanding why this wasn't Ford's bulb of choice for OEM, but they probably save $5 per car this way.

Swap takes about 15 mins. The only modification is to one tab on the 9011 bulb, which anyone can do. I agree with the above that since I made the switch, no sense in even looking at the HID retrofit kits. Many members of this forum have had great success with these aftermarket kits, but the 9011's are easier and make a huge difference.

I second the above post concerning swapping out the OEM 9005 headlight bulbs for the 9011 / HIR bulbs. I made the swap about 2 weeks ago and cannot believe the difference this has made in night time visibility. Hard time understanding why this wasn't Ford's bulb of choice for OEM, but they probably save $5 per car this way.

Swap takes about 15 mins. The only modification is to one tab on the 9011 bulb, which anyone can do. I agree with the above that since I made the switch, no sense in even looking at the HID retrofit kits. Many members of this forum have had great success with these aftermarket kits, but the 9011's are easier and make a huge difference.

I third it! Easy upgrade and no compatibility headaches.

Do you know what part numbers you used? I'm doing both Headlight and fogs.

I'm afraid I don't. I'm sorry. I looked for receipts and couldn't find them.

Their website is very educational and if you call an actual person will answer the phone though.

Tony

the phillips 9011 is too cheap & easy not to try ….installed last night - better for sure.

tx

Back