• Register Today It's free!

Swap in a digital cluster?

Evicerate

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I've been reading the posts about the indiglo gauges and people putting on aftermarket gauges for tranny temp, etc. I came up with some questions about swapping analog gauges for a digital cluster, from say a lincoln or an aerostar.

- Is this even possible?
- Would you need new sensors for the digital dash to work?
- Are digital gauges tied into the computer somehow?
- How much fabrication would be needed (size of dash excluded) as opposed to plug and play/simple splicing?

I admit, I don't know anything about the dash and how the gauges are controlled, so this may be an extremely retarded idea to someone who does know what they're talking about, but any info would be helpful.

Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a digital speedometer.

You could swap a cluster, if you got it to fit. You'd probably have to replace your current sensors, except for your speedo.

when did aerostars have digital clusters?? I have a 94 and it's just the standard cluster

Not real sure on when the aerostars had the digital cluster. I just remember seeing one in a junked aerostar at U-Wrench-It. If I go back soon I'll check it out, but it definitely wasn't std gauges like my mom's 93 aerostar.

huskyfan23 said:
I've got a digital speedometer.

Would you please post a pic of the speedometer you have. Also, where did you get it and how did you install?

Thanks ...

I bought it on eBay for $80 shipped. It's a Nordskog and displays 1/4 mile and 0-60 too. I left the stock speedo connected so it still counts.

I mounted this one over the stock speedo plate. I was planning on taking a hole saw to it and flush mounting but I've been lazy. Eventually.

13739speedo.jpg

13739nolights.jpg

attachment.jpg

If I'm not mistaken my Dad's Eddie Bauer Aerostar has the full digital instruments. My sister has the van now and I'll try to check into it for you guys. It's an interesting mod to make and I'd like to see some conversions myself...

A year or two ago i e-mailed dacota digital i believe about making a set and they said they could do it. The price though if i remember right was either $500 or $700 for the new setup. So you may try them and see if they will still do it and what it would cost. My application was a 98 explorer.

Back