• Register Today It's free!

Swap my old six for a new 4?

cavecrawler

Reaction score
City, State
Yelm, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
I have a getting tired (pushing 250K) 1996 4x4 2 dr automatic 6 banger that I would like to swap for a newer stronger better MPG 4 banger. Rig itself is in better-than-it-should-be condition, and I'd like to see if I can make 300K in it, I'd just like to get better MPG if I could. I don't tow or drive it hard, mostly just commuting and back road sight seeing. Can a swap like that be done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is my opinion based on nothing solid,if you managed to find a 4 banger that would fit and manage to make it work,which I doubt will ever happen,do you know how heavy these things are?

Talk about boat anchor,and the cost and fabrication involved would be out of sight,I put a 5.7 in a Grand Prix to exchange a 3.8,the car came with both engines and it was a job and a half in a 1980 without all of the electronics.

It's not worth it and you would spend so much if you managed to do it you would have to drive the ex for 20 years to break even on the gas savings you might get.:D

I was hoping

I was hoping that my 2 dr was lighter than the full size, and a newer design 4 banger would be stronger than my older feeling six. I thought the Rangers had a 4, and it would be an easy fit :thumbsup:

Spend the money on a quality rebuild of your existing motor.. with that many miles I'm sure its ready.

Mill the heads for more compression if you are willing to run premium fuel and invest in a tune. You will get better economy and performance than your stock motor ever had.

I was hoping that my 2 dr was lighter than the full size, and a newer design 4 banger would be stronger than my older feeling six. I thought the Rangers had a 4, and it would be an easy fit :thumbsup:

The thing is you will have to do transmission also (I think),motor mounts,wiring harness,ECU,all of the sensors and wiring have to be changed,will the radiator work or is it different,etc,etc.Nightmare.Buy a jasper engine,get a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty and there you go if you can afford it.:D

Thanks

OK - way more effort than I envisioned. Engine had been really good so far, I'll tune it up and fix it up and keep it. 300K here I come;)

Back