Swap Vin E with Vin X on 2000 Ford Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swap Vin E with Vin X on 2000 Ford Explorer?

Richard Grabowski

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford Explorer XLT
Hello:

I come looking for help. I have a 2000 ford explorer that has not given me much trouble over the years. Then when it broke down it broke hard! Now my 4.0 L SOHC Vin E engine needs to be replaced. I have access to a Vin X engine. Are they interchangeable? What all needs to be modified to make the swap.

Thanks, Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been discussed here several times, but I don't think anyone ever made the swap. We do have members who have done the opposite, installing an SOHC in place of an OHV motor. From what I understand the best way to do it would be to get an engine wiring harness from the same year Explorer.

@Richard Grabowski

I dunno - Just sayin - seems a lot more trouble/stress free to do a straight swap out = SOHC for SOHC.

Forum member @donalds has replaced his SOHC with a rebuilt SOHC and he seems satisfied enough with it to put a supercharger on it.

Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in as to which vendor he purchased his SOHC from.

It's been discussed here several times, but I don't think anyone ever made the swap. We do have members who have done the opposite, installing an SOHC in place of an OHV motor. From what I understand the best way to do it would be to get an engine wiring harness from the same year Explorer.

So do I understand correctly that a Vin X motor is an OHC and a Vin E motor is SOHC ( this i what I have now)

X = OHV

E = SOHC

So far as I can determine, the SOHC and OHV engines share the same short block and transmission, so an OHV would not much different to install than a SOHC, There may be a few wiring differences (like the fuel injectors plugs) and I would assume you should use the OHV ECM. There may also be some different pin-outs between the OHV and SOHC ECU's, Another thing to consider is the OHV engine makes less horse power than the SOHC, though it's pretty bullet-proof.

yes it can be done, but you will need the entire OHV engine from a 98-00 Explorer or Ranger along with the engine wiring harness and computer

Worth it?

Not likely, the amount of work involved and money spent, you mine as well just replace your SOHC engine.
How many miles on the truck? transmission?
What year is the X engine? Miles?

If you have to ask if it is possible then you likely do not know enough about these trucks to pull it off easily.
That is the harsh truth.
Can it be done? YES. Both engines were available until 2000 model year. Both the ohv and sohc use the same transmission and bellhousing.
The exhaust, fuel systems, computers, and wiring all go through changes over the years and you have to know what you are looking at and what to do with it in order to pull of this engine conversion.

Back