Swapped out PATS computer with non-PATS computer - 1998 5.0 AWD it works | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapped out PATS computer with non-PATS computer - 1998 5.0 AWD it works

axistang

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Just wanted to share I have a 1998 5.0 AWD Explorer. I finally diagnosed a misfire as a bad computer. Instead of replacing the computer with a 1998 and having it reprogrammed to match my PATS I swapped in a used $30 1997 5.0 Explorer non-PATS computer. It works fine other than the check engine light being on showing a VSS sensor code and also the theft light flashes when you first drive it and goes off.
The speedometer and cruise still function normally. I got a great deal because the previous owner spent $900 at the Ford dealer and it still had a misfire, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it.

Did not see this info anywhere, it may be a repost. I have not tried it on a 4.0 SOHC model, but I can when I have some extra time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it will work and run exactly the same but your transmission needs that vss signal for correct shifting. 97 pcms XDT2 and XDT3 are identical to the 98 computer except the vss input.

Also just to add most locksmiths can do pats programming. All you need is 2 keys. Last time I had to do it was $150 and they provided the 2nd key.

Yes it will work and run exactly the same but your transmission needs that vss signal for correct shifting. 97 pcms XDT2 and XDT3 are identical to the 98 computer except the vss input.

Also just to add most locksmiths can do pats programming. All you need is 2 keys. Last time I had to do it was $150 and they provided the 2nd key.

So, if I can build on this--
Are you saying a 98 up v8 could use a 4406 transfer case with the seed sensor, in combination with the 97 pcm ? If so-this is good news.

Are you saying a 98 up v8 could use a 4406 transfer case with the seed sensor, in combination with the 97 pcm ? If so-this is good news.

I don't see why not. I'm running a 98 trans on my 97 harness and there is no difference but the vss.

The early 97 computers like codes SLL4 use the early EGR and early trans range sensor so there is a difference in wiring. @delexploder had that issue and was fixed when I sold him a late 97 pcm.

yea my setup is now identical to late 97 even though i have a 99 motor and trans , i swapped to late 97 motor and tranny harness, return fuel rail and the 97 injectors and cam sensor , rewired the case plug on the tranny and ive had a t-case speed sensor in all three cases ive run, 4404 awd ,4406e-shift,4406 manual ,

the 97 5.0 ecu cannot run a 4.0L v6 correctly as-is without reprogramming it

you can get a chip to disable the vss in the ecu for cheap, that will turn the light off, but as boominxplorer stated there are differences in the mlps/tr range sensor on the transmission, after driving a while it will throw more codes for that, not anything significant though as the ecus infers movement and lever position when you drive, those codes should pop up though with drive cycles

for the theft light flashing you can kill power to the transponder module which will turn it off since its not functional, or yank the bulb from the cluster

I appreciate the info. Both those were V8 AWD. I like to buy and fix Explorers or part them out. I have 5 right now. I sold 1 last year and parted 2 out.

I have a general question mine is running fine right now, but what is required to swap in a distributor since you lose the cam position sensor? I read in a post where someone did this, but they did not go into detail. I would like to install a Vortech and run a distributor and retain the stock computer for fuel and transmission control (with a tune of course). I like the idea of running a fox Mustang harness with a A9L and Baumann transmission controller, but would like to keep it closer to stock.

Jon, the 98+ BW4406's have the VSS sensor, that changed one year later in the bigger Ford's. I just got a spare TOD version, to rebuild, and it has the sensor though the back was broken.

I appreciate the info. Both those were V8 AWD. I like to buy and fix Explorers or part them out. I have 5 right now. I sold 1 last year and parted 2 out.

I have a general question mine is running fine right now, but what is required to swap in a distributor since you lose the cam position sensor? I read in a post where someone did this, but they did not go into detail. I would like to install a Vortech and run a distributor and retain the stock computer for fuel and transmission control (with a tune of course). I like the idea of running a fox Mustang harness with a A9L and Baumann transmission controller, but would like to keep it closer to stock.
Wait, you want to use the Explorer PCM, or you have it in place etc, with the harness and trans, but you want to remove it all to run a Mustang computer and distributor? I wouldn't do that, the Explorer parts are way better than EECIV stuff, besides the tuning differences. I know lots of people are very familiar with EECIV tuning, but every next generation is better, and worth keeping or upgrading to.

My 92 Lincoln has a 302 HO in it, and the EECIV. But I want better control, and the 4R trans, so I'll soon convert it to the Explorer XDT2 computer. It's only got 53k miles on it now, the 302/AOD will be available for someone for the right price(it's got the forged pistons of course, and like Lincolns doesn't smoke).

you gotta be careful with the 4406 the speed sensor needs to be the gear driven one if your going with the 96/97 explorer setup , pull the sensor to check , some of the latter ones before they dropped the sensor altogether are tone ring and pickup type sensors and dont work with our setups, i and a few others had to pull the case tail cone off and change the parts out , it works but its a pain

Thanks for the info. I don't need it for my 98 PCM but both of my 4406's have something on them.

I'm considering using a later Mustang PCM to run my 98 V8 engine, I wonder if those are picky about the VSS signal(might want the OSS or similar).

I'm going to revive this thread.

I might be considering to pick up a 98' Mountaineer - the owner says the computer (ECU?) is bad in the CL ad.

I have not talked with the owner yet, but want to ask a few key questions when I do relating to his probable problem. Any suggestive questions to ask?

Lets say the 'computer' is bad and I'm seeing you have to also consider a matching PATS system, can a matching ECU and PATS system from anther used vehicle work?

Ideas?

Thanks EF team.

I might be considering to pick up a 98' Mountaineer - the owner says the computer (ECU?) is bad in the CL ad.

I have not talked with the owner yet, but want to ask a few key questions when I do relating to his probable problem. Any suggestive questions to ask?

Lets say the 'computer' is bad and I'm seeing you have to also consider a matching PATS system, can a matching ECU and PATS system from anther used vehicle work?

Ideas?

Thanks EF team.
Check on the old PCM before giving up with it, to swap takes more time and parts etc. If you have to change it, try to get matching PCM/PATS modules, and keys(at least 2) from one truck. If not that, reprogramming is required, and you might as well just get the one PCM, and use that with the existing keys and PATS module.

Ideas?

Thanks EF team.

A 97 V8 computer will work in a 98 V8 you just get a flashing theft light at first then a VSS code, but it did not change how it runs and drives, no PATS programming needed. I may have one for free if you pay shipping or LKQ pick you part usually has some.

A 97 V8 computer will work in a 98 V8 you just get a flashing theft light at first then a VSS code, but it did not change how it runs and drives, no PATS programming needed. I may have one for free if you pay shipping or LKQ pick you part usually has some.

If that works it could be a good tool to test with, the late 97 PCM is almost the same as the 98 version that has PATS in it, and digital transmission range sensor(DTRS). I have one of those somewhere too.

Just wanted to share I have a 1998 5.0 AWD Explorer. I finally diagnosed a misfire as a bad computer. Instead of replacing the computer with a 1998 and having it reprogrammed to match my PATS I swapped in a used $30 1997 5.0 Explorer non-PATS computer. It works fine other than the check engine light being on showing a VSS sensor code and also the theft light flashes when you first drive it and goes off.
The speedometer and cruise still function normally. I got a great deal because the previous owner spent $900 at the Ford dealer and it still had a misfire, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it.

Did not see this info anywhere, it may be a repost. I have not tried it on a 4.0 SOHC model, but I can when I have some extra time.
just read your post, other than swapping a 97 5.0 xlt computer into a 98 5.0 xlt, does anything else need to be done. have you had any issues?

Back