Swapping 2000 mountaineer 5.0 in a 2002 explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping 2000 mountaineer 5.0 in a 2002 explorer xlt

Kaleb Duren

Reaction score
City, State
Jefferson city MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
I have a 2002 explorer that has a bad transmission and is leaking oil from the 4.0 probably just a seal but I have a wrecked 2000 mountaineer with a 5.0 and good transmission and I need to get the explorer going. I know this involves changing almost everything from one too the other including exhaust Ac and radiator but what I need to know is if everything will fit and motor will mount the same before i start the process also if the parts I will need will exceed just buying the new transmission and seal for the explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I would fix what is in there before going full FRANKENSTIEN.

@Kaleb Duren

That bad trans would make a good boat anchor in that big 'ole river up there by Jeff City! Seriously, to change to a different engine/transmission is pretty complicated. imp

Since you are a 4 door, and different generations this would be a fairly involved swap. You’d probably be ahead of the game buying a tired, but rust free 99-01 second genV8, or a later 4.6.

2001 was the last year of the 5.0 and it was in a Gen II explorer

Your 2002 is a Gen III explorer, it s a whole different animal
Putting a 2001 engine into a 2002 is not emissions legal
That wrecked 5.0 you haveif it is lower miles is quite desirable these days and worth some good $$$$$
However I would NOT try to put the 302 drivetrain into a Gen III truck no way jose.
You are better off fixing your current V6 and/or put that 5.0 into a worthy Gen II truck

Ditto, the trucks are way different and that swap would be very tough and complicated, plus cost more than finding the right 3rd gen engine and trans.

Back