• Register Today It's free!

Swapping 98 5.0 into 79 rx7 help

5.0rx7

Reaction score
City, State
waterloo alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
79 rx7 gs
As title says I have a complete 98 explorer wrecked on side I'm swapping into a 79 rx7 I've read tons of info bout swapping to mustang and swapping mustang 5.0s into rx7s is a bolt in affair with the kit. So I want to keep dfis obd2 and all the newest efi goodies and as far as I can tell that's never been done. I am also converting to a built t5 from a mustang. Now will it be as simple as buying a sct and flashing away pats and auto trans junk since I have the full truck to get all wires and harness pcm so on so forth? Rx7 is carb so no other ecu to mess with hope this is right forum and thanks in advance guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As title says I have a complete 98 explorer wrecked on side I'm swapping into a 79 rx7 I've read tons of info bout swapping to mustang and swapping mustang 5.0s into rx7s is a bolt in affair with the kit. So I want to keep dfis obd2 and all the newest efi goodies and as far as I can tell that's never been done. I am also converting to a built t5 from a mustang. Now will it be as simple as buying a sct and flashing away pats and auto trans junk since I have the full truck to get all wires and harness pcm so on so forth? Rx7 is carb so no other ecu to mess with hope this is right forum and thanks in advance guys

Welcome, and do search for other swaps to non-Explorers. Those threads will be your best help. The Volvo one I recall gathered the most critical information.

Short story is this, for an automatic, the 98-01 Explorer computers require the ABS module from those trucks, plus a G-force sensor from the frame, and the VSS signal from the differential. Those have PATS, which is the easy part to solve, as you know. The best method for a non-Explorer automatic swap is to use the 96-97.5 or the late 97 computer. I suggest the 97.5 PCM, which I have two of for my two non-Explorer projects.

The 96-97 computers do not require the ABS module, they accept the VSS from the speed sensor off the back of the trans. The 98-01's take the ABS sensor from the diff, run through the ABS module to "condition" it, and then to the PCM. That's a dumb system, but it works fine in the Explorers which have those parts. You don't want that headache, so just get the pre-98 computer, and make the minor changes to the wiring.

You will use the Explorer front dress I expect, you will love that when fitting the radiator etc. That is the shortest set of accessories ever put on a SBF. It helps a ton with limited front clearances.

There's a guy that's done the exact swap in a volvo with a 98 explorer drive train. I think he kept the auto trans though.

If you go with a 5 speed then you don't have to deal with the 98+ speed sensor issues CDW mentioned, just a tune for pats and to delete trans functions.

That's good information guys thank you I will look for that volvo swap. I knew pats would be the biggest headache so if I get a sct tuner and a tune to turn it off that would be easiest as I'm already gonna be using a t5 and camming it anyway

Sorry not to butt in, but had a few more questions. is the SCT tuner able to turn on or off the Readiness monitor? I have a 1998 Laforza with a 5.0 explorer engine. When i got it, there was a key/pats system but was removed by someone but it starts up fine and runs fine. the ABS wires are cut and not working. Problem for me is the IM readiness monitor lists all functions as unsupported so was able to pass previous bar97 smog. however now california machine won't connect with my ob2 anymore. did removing the Pats have anything to do with it? thanks in advance for any info

Back