Swapping an Explorer 4.0L engine into a Bronco II. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping an Explorer 4.0L engine into a Bronco II.

Lizzy26

Reaction score
City, State
Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Morning everyone, has anyone on this site ever swapped a 2.6 L out of a 1984 Bronco II and replaced it with a 4.0L out of a 1993 Explorer. I am pretty sure it can be done with a few modifications to motor mounts and such, I'm just wandering if anyone around here has done this before and maybe has some insight into the project that I am about to embark on.
Thank you for any info.

many many many many many times this has been done!

Good news for you! 84 Bii with a 2.6L? cool! I have never seen the 2.6L only the 2.8L... do you have any pics?

93 explorer 4.0L is a perfect replacement, you will also need the 86+ style BII fuel system as the 4.0L is EFI

I converted my 88 BII from a 2.9L and 5 speed 1350 t case to a 93 4.0L and mazda 5 speed with 1354 t case about 10 years ago..... there is lots of information available for you to do this.

Motor mounts bolt up, the engine basically bolts in, just wiring and plumbing to be done

Thanks Fortune. well that's good news that they bolt right in, when you say I will have to get the fuel system out of another Bronco do you mean that the one on explorer will have to be replaced. My BII right now is in dire need of some TLC especially the tranny. Does the explorer tranny fit or is it to long. What about converting the explorer 4.0L to propane. That will get rid of the efi problems wont it.

Back